Your Ad Could Be Here

Things I Like About My Recording Software

Share- Some of the functions you really like about the program you use.

Here are a few of mine.

I  use at least four different music software programs, but I use one more than the others. Sonar X3 Producer is usually my go to program, so for simplicity sake I'll tell you why I like that program.

Sonar X3 Producer

Pretty much everything is drag and drop. If I want to play a certain software synthesizer I simply drag it into the track area and it loads. Both midi and audio can be freely copied and pasted into any other track. Sonar reads both acid and rex loops and comes with Addictive drums 2 a great drum program by XLN  audio. 

The user GUI is very handy since I can drag and resize any window to anywhere.

The explorer where loops, synthesizer, midi and effects directories are located is easy to navigate.The GUI also includes color customization so that I can make tracks in any color I desire. Templates are carried to the extreme in Sonar X3. I can make templates of entire project setups or templates of effects chains both in busses and tracks. Sonar X3 has a dedicated addition on each track called the "Pro Channel". The prochannel has reverbs, EQ, compressors, gates and even console emulation built right into it. The Pro Channel can be collapsed or made large, so you can make it larger when you work on it  and collapse it when your not. Almost everything on each channel can be automated with external control. So for instance...I can automate reverbs, panning, compression, volume and much much more. Each automation control has an independednt lane which can also be expanded.

Since Sonar X3 started as a midi sequencer the midi manipulation it has is second to none. Sonar has what they call " Take Lanes" which are simply the ability to take numerous vocal tracks and they will all be on different levels of the vocal track allowing you to pick and choose the best takes.

Sonar X3 Producer has a great keystroke layout so rewind/play/record are all just a keystroke away. Keystrokes can also be programmed in Sonar to your liking. Sonar X3 Producer has rewire allowing it to be used with products like Reason. Sonar has several ways to arrange music. One is the more common Linear way and another is loop based. You can record your own loops and put them in to the "Matrix" or use pre exisiting loops.The Matrix is composed of "cells" and rows which allow you to line loops up in any order to choose. For instance I could make a row of loops for the chorus and a row of loops for the verse in a song and record them all inside the linear view to seperate tracks...in this way Sonar can work similar to Ableton. The loop explorer in X3 will let you preview loops before commiting to them. There is a magnifier so you can get a close up of the data you're working on.

Sonar X3 Producer allows substantial use of group based editing..in this way you can perform batch edits to tracks. Sonar allows placement of sends and buses. and easy connection from them to tracks. Comes loaded with some very nice drums/synths and effects. Sonar can map to various hardware controllers and had lots of instrument definitions.

Sonar  identified my Presonus interface immediately and allows an easy configuration of all channels. Sonar can map a tempo from a track and Sonar will use that tempo as an alignment on all other tracks. Audio editing to tempo  in Sonar X3 Producer is not difficult.X3 has the capability to load movies and can be used as a basic music to movie editor composer.

The list is too long to tell you all it does in one small article and I haven't set out to itemize every detail. I'm just sharing a few of the particular things about X3 I like. 

Sonar X3 Producer has proven itself to be a very stable program that very seldom has any problems.I can't wait to see what they come out with in X4!

What are some of the features you like about the program you currently use?

I use Samplitude Pro X and just bought Pro X2 Suite

There are just too many things to mention. It is incredible.

I'll post more when I get Pro X2 up and running.

• Editors

I use Reaper because it is lightweight and free (for 60 days, after which the nag screen persists but can still use).

It has a very flat learning curve with almost all features of a popular DAW like Cubase. It takes VST and VSTi plugins pretty well but when there are heavy ones like EZ Drummer etc, it does seem to struggle. Easy to stick with :)

Thanks Hobo!!

I have contemplated Reason as an addition to what I now have. I think the only reason I didn't do it yet is because it seemed I was adding redundancy rather than something new since there are many similarities.. Maybe a download of the demo would change my mind on that. I have a friend who recently bought and rewired Reason 8 into Sonar and I want to pick his brain some. 

Samplitude Pro X is nothing short of incredible...pending knowing how to use all of the capabilities it has. Since Magix bought Yellow Tools it has one mean sampler player in it too. I just bought Majix Movie Maker Pro 2014. I'm impressed with that program so far...they make great stuff period, especially their high end software. FWIW Majix makes great beginner recording software.

Reaper...how can you go wrong with Reaper? The price is right and it works. I think Reaper has to be one of the most portable recording programs out there. I can put it on a usb stick and run it from there.

For those who may not know this........almost all music software programs allow to export midi and audio in different formats. This means cross compatibility no matter what you use, so I could export a wave from Reason and play it in Sonar no problem. Not all of them import all formats though unless the bitrate and resolution is set the same. For instance I might want to import a file recorded in 16/44.1 but my software won't accept it because I'm set to record in 24/44.1. In the case of Sonar X3 Producer I can import ANYTHING..I can drag or import a 16/44.1 into my machine set to record at 24/44.1. I can drag mp3  into Sonar format and it will play. The one consideration is that tempos should be the same on all daws for wav imports and waves need to be aligned with one another....but this isn't difficult to do.