Your Ad Could Be Here

Know The Name of This Technique?

Hi all, I just have a quick question about a vocal technique:

It's at 2:24, 2:32 and 3:54,

It sounds like a falsetto but it has some weight to it.

Thanks in advance,

Ken

Hi Ken,

It's not a falsetto but I'm wondering if he was trying to attempt one. This one sounds kinda throaty (the first two instances were drier while the third one sounded more airy). Can't imagine using that technique too often, though... sounds like it could strain the voice.

Btw, absolutely loving your country! Thanks for the tips  :)

• Editors

It's mixed voice indeed. That's the term I would use as well despite the fact that there is quite a bit of rambling over terminology. 

It's an absolutely comfortable register to sing in. It's great for bringing in various elements of style into your singing as opposed to singing just in the chest voice. Now I should say that there are different kinds of "mixed voice". Maybe "kinds" is the wrong word. Different flavors of the same vocal co-ordination maybe more accurate. The light mixed voice that you hear in this track is very much used in RnB and Neo-Soul and the likes as well. You can also achieve a more "belty" and heavy mixed voice. It serves as a great and much healthier alternative to a screamy chest belt that could really ruin the voice. It does require the better cord closure and use of the nasal twang that Jenn's description portrays. Works great for Rock, Blues, Indie and all that types of music that may demand your voice to have a bigger range. 

Great song BTW

Sorry for the late response, been keeping quite busy lately.

@Sreyashi Mukherjee - You have a sharp ear, Sumi, I didn't notice the 3rd one being more airy than the others! Awesome, I hope you have a great time traveling here in Japan, a week is not that long but I know you're making the best of it. Were you in Tokyo when the typhoon hit? It was a pretty big one so I hope you were safe?

@Mahesh - Thanks for the details, man. I don't plan on singing like that but it is quite a beautiful sound. Ikr, I accidentally found it after looking for a different song - by Louise Goffin, called Uptown Boys - that was on the same movie, "Fast Times At Ridgemont High," 1982. I don't think I'll watch the movie but I will be listening to this song for a while.👍

Cheers!

On 26/10/2017 at 2:26 PM, ImKeN said:

Were you in Tokyo when the typhoon hit? It was a pretty big one so I hope you were safe?

Haha... I landed in Tokyo barely a day before the typhoon was supposed to hit and had no prior info about it. I managed to escape to Kyoto just hours before it was supposed to smack right on.. because I couldn't stand the idea of wasting my precious hours stranded inside a building! So, thankfully, it all went well.. just broke an umbrella and had my shoes sounding like a kid's squeaky shoes in the process 😆😆

Btw, I came across this musician busking with a cool-looking and sounding instrument at Arashiyama. What's this instrument called? And is it a common thing in Japan? (Or other countries, too?)

20171025_132154.mp4

Archived