Your Ad Could Be Here

How to make vocals not sound awful?

• Noob

I'm hoping this is the right section of the forum, if not please tell me. :)

I've been wanting to get into songwriting for a while, but the biggest thing holding me back. At the moment, my voice is nasally and deep, and while I'm thinking about waiting a few years for my voice to mature, I thought I could use this to my advantage and write some really really amateur punk-ish songs. I'm not completely comfortable with it though, so I was wondering if there were any way to maybe "distort" it (not actually distort, I know how to do that, something to make it less noticeable that it is my voice). Either with equipment like a crappy mic or using effects is my guess, but I don't really know. Just please help. :unsure:

Hey there Kid! I think this is a good place to post this.

My opinion is you don't need to have a good voice to be a songwriter. So I'm thinking you want to be the singer and do recording? LOL

I love your way of thinking! No need to waste time waiting! Go with what ya got!

I can't offer you any advise on this though sorry. Poke around the site and get to know some other members here and I know they'll be able to help.

See you on the boards!
Lisa

If you have no intention to perform, it doesn't matter much other than how happy you are with your own voice.

That said, there are some things you can do to reduce nasal tone issues. Regularly blowing your nose helps. Keeping your airways clear and not inflammed can help. Some singers use inhalations like eucalyptus oil or  menthol,dripped into hot water or in an oil burner. Good physical exercise can also help keep your airways expanded.

The biggie is learning to produce your voice in the right way. Learing about chest voice, head voice, mixed voice etc will help give you better control over your tone. Mahesh and Lisa can help you loads... if you are determined to improve your singing voice :)

9 minutes ago, Jenn said:

Think about your breathing. All. The. Time.

Just to add to that... plan your breathing. Work out where you need to take breath, how deep etc.

42 minutes ago, Rudi said:

what Lisa & John said.

especially Lisa, she's always right

Rudi, That's because I quote you!

Instead of having your mic straight in front of you, pointing directly at you. Try this, if you instead position your mic slightly higher than/above your mouth/nose so the mic will be pointing down towards your mouth/nose it will pick up less of the nasal sound.

Experiment with different angles, height etc and hopefully you'll find the right mic position that works for you.

Good to know. Hope that helps.

/Peter

Nobody can deny that Bob Dylan’s voice is iconic. Rolling Stone called him the seventh-best singer of all-time, despite the fact the legendary musician doesn't have what's considered a traditionally good voice.

http://www.citypages.com/music/bob-dylans-voice-explained-8003377

Geir

27 minutes ago, The S said:

Instead of having your mic straight in front of you, pointing directly at you. Try this, if you instead position your mic slightly higher than/above your mouth/nose so the mic will be pointing down towards your mouth/nose it will pick up less of the nasal sound.

Experiment with different angles, height etc and hopefully you'll find the right mic position that works for you.

Good to know. Hope that helps.

/Peter

Peter, I never knew this! I'm trying it this weekend for sure. thanks! [smiley=vocals.gif]

This may sound stupid but JUST DO IT. 

Don't wait for anything to 'get started' - the best way to learn singing and recording techniques or whatever you want to improve is to DO IT. You will learn way more by commiting to the process than by sitting on the sidelines.

The nice thing is you can start recording on your computer for less than 50 bucks now.

Peace,

TC

In my case...just get someone else to sing the vocal track.:P

Problem solved!

Archived