Your Ad Could Be Here

Greetings!

Hello,

My name is Tanya, I've been playing guitar for... 33-years now?  Self taught, strengths are: finger picking (for reference I cover Cat Stevens "Katmandu", Lindsey Buckinham's "Never Going Back Again", Joni Mitchell's "Little Green", Led Zeppelin's "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" etc.), and harmony singing (I can sing the devil out of CSNY, Jon Anderson/Yes, Simon and Garfunkel, I LOOOVE intricate harmonies).  I SUCK at strumming/playing with a pick, takes all my effort to make it clean, Pete Townshend I am not (sad).  I also am mediocre at singing lead, the range where I can "belt it out" is fairly limited (I do sing the songs I listed very well).  I cannot play lead in the slightest, although I play a mean "brain guitar" lol.  I also am fairly adept at arranging pieces (I wrote a killer finger picking arrangement for Neil Young's "After the Gold Rush").

The above is just for reference, so you guys have an idea of my ability level and musical taste. 

I have several songs, a couple are good, a couple are terrible, and a couple are terrific.  I joined here to hopefully develop friendly relationships with other musicians, to offer my ear and to solicit yours when it's appropriate.  My ultimate goal is to learn how to use home recording equipment.  I want to have the tools necessary to EXPERIMENT.  I hear so much in my head, it plagues me at times I can't turn it off. I do not have any commercial ambitions or expectations whatsoever.  That'd be nice, and fine, but I simply want to explore my songs to their fullest extent at home, for me.  The only tools I have at this point are my voice, and my guitar.

Happy Friday to you all!

Hi Tanya,

Welcome to the SongStuff community!  It's a great place to explore your music interest. There are lots of folks using home recording equipment and studios here, as you will see.   We have a topic that's kinda cool about member's home studios. Let me know,  and I'll share a link to the topic here in case you want to check it out. :)  otherwise it's in Discussion, Music Production and Recording.

Have fun and see you around the boards.

:)

TN

Hi and welcome to the Songstuff family Tanya! I am sure you know this, but you have awesome taste in music! Lol

What do you hope to get from Songstuff?

Dive in. The more active you are, the more you are likely to get out of membership. Whatever happens, have fun! Any questions, please just we’ll try our bes5 to help you.

On 5/29/2018 at 7:12 AM, Glammerocity said:

Hi Tanya,

I once used Lindsey Buckingham's acoustic version of Big Love in a mashup. And I still have a big love for Jon Anderson's solo album, Olias of Sunhillow.

I didn't see your post here.  Oh MY Big Love is AMAZING the way he plays it!!! I remember the first time I saw him do that, I wasn't aware of how brilliant he is.  I've never listened to Jon Anderson's solo work, never thought to look for it I will DEFINITELY give that a try.  Do you like Trevor Rabin?  One of my favorite Yes albums is Talk, which was mostly his baby.  

1 hour ago, Capo3tanya said:

I didn't see your post here.  Oh MY Big Love is AMAZING the way he plays it!!! I remember the first time I saw him do that, I wasn't aware of how brilliant he is.  I've never listened to Jon Anderson's solo work, never thought to look for it I will DEFINITELY give that a try.  Do you like Trevor Rabin?  One of my favorite Yes albums is Talk, which was mostly his baby.  

I had a jaw dropped reaction when a friend first played me the acoustic Big Love.

I was more of a Yes fan than Genesis and saw them in 1977 - met Steve Howe and Chris Squire afterwards by following their car out to the airport. I still have my autographed ticket. I only had Relayer, which was my fave Yes album but I preferred Anderson's Olias. I lived in San Luis Obispo CA for a while in the 90s and somebody told me JA lived there but I never saw him. I had Trevor Rabin's solo album, Beginnings, in 1977, though I'd weaned myself off Yes long before he joined them. It was a big surprise when Buggles joined them, though like Rabin, Trevor Horn was a respected producer.

3 hours ago, Jim Roads said:

Hi Tanya,

Great taste in music! And nice name too. What is your nationality if not a secret? :) 

Hi Jim,  thanks!  No secret, I am Swiss and Norwegian, but born and bred in the USA (South West Florida, land of the blue hairs hehe).

2 hours ago, Glammerocity said:

I was more of a Yes fan than Genesis and saw them in 1977 - met Steve Howe and Chris Squire afterwards by following their car out to the airport. I still have my autographed ticket.

Omigosh I love Steve Howe so much, it's so sad that his son just died.  I love his style.  I taught myself Mood for a Day, it was a dream song for me.  It's passable lol, a little sloppy, but makes me beam with pride since I am self taught and my technique is all wrong (I have been told).  Aw you got to meet him cool.

I love Trevor Rabin's song "Sorrow" (Ooh ma ma). My favorite song on Talk is "Where Will You Be?" It's my hippie happy place lol. Also Why did you "wean" yourself off Yes?  I like some Genesis, favorite songs are "Home By the Sea", and "Mama". Thanks so much for talking with me I am enjoying it! 

28 minutes ago, Jim Roads said:

Thanks. I asked because this name is very popular in my country.

So there are lots of Tanyas in Bulgaria?  That's interesting to know, thanks! My mom's best friend named me after "Tanya Tucker", country singer.  I'm Tanya like "on ya".  

Hi Tanya, glad you are here. When it comes to guitar playing I'm just the opposite. I can strum but not finger pick. It's something I would like to learn though. I love a good harmony also. I usually record my own harmonies on my songs but sometimes its nice to have a female vocal harmony. Maybe we can collaborate on some harmonies sometime if the opportunity arises.

Hi, thanks Samuel, glad to meet you! Good strumming makes me salivate lol. 

My issue, I think anyway, is that I am left handed.  I picked up my mom's guitar at 9 years old but I had no idea you could string it for left handed playing.  So I learned right handed.  For some reason holding my arm fairly still yet picking with my fingers is easy;  moving my wrist arm and elbow for strumming is not.  I am definitely interested in collaborating, that'd be lovely sometime 😊

Archived