Your Ad Could Be Here

What about music thrills you?

starise

What is it that gives you that adrenaline or dopamine rush? Is it playing heavy metal? Singing? Is it the thrill of making something original that no one else has ever made? Is it the satisfaction of playing an instrument? Is it writing lyrics? The recording process? The challenge? 

What is it? There must be a reason you do it?

• Like 2

There are many reason I love it but there is one part of the process that always gets me pumped up. When I'm trying to go from one section of a song to the next, say verse to chorus, chorus to bridge, etc... it's like solving a puzzle when I finally hit on it and then go back and listen and can feel it works. I get a similar feeling when searching for lyrics and something pops out, but for me it's when I find what I feel is a great fit musically from one section to the next.

• Like 2

On 7/24/2018 at 7:08 PM, starise said:

Gee this is a hoppin' joint these days......😝

It is more positive. :) It is growing membership and activity.... and more activity creates more activity :)

For me, music expresses and makes manifest my deepest emotions. It shines a light in the darknest recesses of my mind and pulls it all together. A thread. A simple song can elicit joy or sadness, or it can be that perfect accompanyment, the expression for what is already there that I could not find words for. It is as essential as breathing. Music allows me to speak out, to connect beyond myself with masses... and that is true through shared experience, no matter if I am the one playing, in the moment listening to other musicians, or both when I am playing with others. Be on stage. Playing one of your songs. Pour yourself into the moment. Push your thoughts and feelings out into a crowd. Watch them respond. Feel the emotion of the space. The beauty of connection. Like minds, for once sycronized.

Outside of those moments, how can we not feel diminshed?

Music may not be everything... but it is a damn big chunk!

• Like 6

It's hard to describe for me, but when I hear a particular song be it a song of my own creation or a track from one of the greats, certain songs just have this effect on me. Take Don Giovanni's Commandatore, it feels so frightening yet so powerful as though you're there with the Don confronting the dead commander.

• Like 1

On 7/27/2018 at 10:44 PM, Shanethefilmmaker said:

It's hard to describe for me, but when I hear a particular song be it a song of my own creation or a track from one of the greats, certain songs just have this effect on me. Take Don Giovanni's Commandatore, it feels so frightening yet so powerful as though you're there with the Don confronting the dead commander.

Never heard this one. Now I want to hear it.😏

• Like 1

Its like a collaboration of souls in some cases.  Music just triggers something the soul longs for.  Its a mystery, but not.  We can dissect the mechanics of it, but when the right instruments, the right timing, the right resonance, or silence, the right emphasis in the right places at the right frequencies with the right words (or not) to express and in-touch vocals that carry so much emotion, there is this synergy of souls that just plain old mechanics can't achieve.  Just as sound travels in a manner that we can't ourselves travel, so does the soul travel within the music that moves us.  I've seen images of brain activity on music.  Its certainly candy for the soul.

On 7/19/2018 at 11:24 AM, starise said:

What is it that gives you that adrenaline or dopamine rush? Is it playing heavy metal? Singing? Is it the thrill of making something original that no one else has ever made? Is it the satisfaction of playing an instrument? Is it writing lyrics? The recording process? The challenge? 

What is it? There must be a reason you do it?

What about you???

On 8/1/2018 at 5:51 PM, Just1L said:

What about you???

I think making music in general is written into my DNA, even if it isn't good music lol. Maybe you remember the 1st time you did something and then the 1000th time you did it. The older I get, the more things wear off. Like the first time I heard a quality sampled keyboard. I was in Lancaster, PA in a music store and I was blown away by the Korg M-1 one evening. I was amazed that this one thing could make all of those sounds so realistically and I got a rush from that. I walked away with that keyboard on credit for 2300.00. Took me like three years to pay it off lol.I was a poor dude.

After that I spent hours and hours just noodling around on it in the evenings, changing sounds,learning my way around it and eventually playing it. That thrill stayed at a high for the next 15 years. Even today when I play some of those sounds on the software version of the M-1 it brings back good memories. So I kind of learn to play better and the keyboard all at the same time. I wore the buttons out on it  and eventually sold it on ebay and bought other gear. All of that led to me being in a few bands and learning I could sing. So I was thrilled about playing that keyboard, thrilled to be in a band and thrilled about my future as a musician.

Now when I hear a sampled keyboard it isn't as thrilling because I have like 20 software synthesizers+ Kontakt with libraries also hardware synths... a bunch of guitars, violins, a bouzouki. I still get a thrill to combine incredible  sounds all from my computer. I can now focus more on the music and am less focused on the tech than I once was. I think for me now it's the process of making music that thrills me and seeing a job well done. I do maybe one decent thing for every 10 not so decent things.

The thrill of my future as a musician has kind of worn off because well.........I've already lived most of it and I have a more real view of life and my circumstances. I have gone back to mainly acoustic roots as my music shows though I could make one heck of a synth track if I wanted to. Changing things up over time has both increased my knowledge and allowed me to do new things.

Cover tunes would bore me to death. I get a big thrill from playing original music even if the GP thinks it sucks lol.  The process of having an idea and creating a result is a huge thrill for me.

I play religious Christian music at church. In fact I am presently the music leader. I get tired of playing the same things since we rotate maybe 75 tunes, but then I think I bore quite easily. The plus to it is I think the purpose gives the music a vehicle to ride on.

Everyone  makes music for themselves, for others, for profit or all of those. If music doesn't satisfy me I can't get behind it for anyone else so I do the first two. Profit was at one time a motive to make music. I gave up on that one a long long time ago. 

• 2 weeks later...

Surprise plays a massive part.

Its best when music hits you directly.

When you dont pass it through your evaluation filtration checks, and it connects emotionally directly.

Most of the time we just juxtapose elements of our musical 'toolkit'. We learn something new and add it to the toolbox. Sometimes there is nothing nicer than leaving the toobox locked and bypassing the structure we usually rely on.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

How would you say we take a system of any mode or key and make it original? Original as in something never before conceived? Or do you mean taking something like a blues structure and adding something different to it? I can take a structure and add differing elements to it. Any chord is a structure. All chords have been played. Probably all orders of chords have been played. All scales are known. All transitions to new modes are known.

The only thing I can add to this is me.  I understand looking at music this way is very linear, since we have many other factors such as dynamics and rhythm.

Here's what one man did with a one stringed guitar-