Your Ad Could Be Here

Favourite Artist & Your Music

Who would you say is your favourite artist(s)?

Are they a major influence on your songs? Your sound?

I ask because when I think of most of my favourite artists, although I can spot some influences, I don’t think my music has any of them as a really strong flavour. Weird! Some artists are very obviously influenced by one or two artists.

Where do you sit in the grand scheme of things?

• Like 1

Howdy 😃

My favorite artists are Rush, Yes, Paul Simon and Cat Stevens. Can't say that I sound like any of them because they are all musical geniuses (lol). The music in my head though, what I'm hoping to achieve, falls in line more with Rush and Yes. Aggressive bass, Clean electric guitar,  multiple time signatures, interesting percussion, dynamic synths. Dream on, dream on, dream on, dream until the dream come truuue 😉

• Like 1

• Editors

Interestingly enough, John Mayer is the only influence from my music that people notice. I've loved Mayer and all his songs but I can't think of one time when I thought that I should write a song like his. In fact, the biggest reason I do not cover his songs (or cover songs at all usually in my gigs) is because I love the songs way too much for me to ruin it for myself. 

My favorite artists could be seen under my profile bio but not many are able to catch them in my own music. Which is interesting. What about you John? What are your favorite artists? Just curious. :)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Noob

The Beatles are always a present influence. I remember hearing for the first time the second part of Abbey Road and being mind blown. That, together with A day in the life, really defined the sound that I've been trying to get and also what I have been looking for in other bands. Not exclusively of course, I have tons of artists that inspire me, but if I had to pick one, it would be The Beatles.

• Like 1

I have different sorts of inspirations...

My love of writing has always been there, even in primary school. While other kids would struggle to fill a page, I'd struggle to keep whatever I was writing under 5! But my inspirations to write songs came from Carole King, Joy McKean and Rod Stewart. (Those outside of Australia may struggle to recognise the name Joy McKean, but she was Slim Dusty's wife of many years and writer of most of his songs.) A diverse group, but not really inspiring what to write, just inspiring TO write.

These days I try to write songs I think George Strait may choose to sing. Or perhaps, songs I would like to hear George Strait sing. I was raised on traditional country, but of course drifted through periods of heavy (classic) Rock, Classic Rock and Roll, Theatrical Rock (think Jim Steinman & Meatloaf) and eventually back to Country in my own preferences. Even with Country I have diverse tastes... despite his being Australian, I am NOT on the Keith Urban bandwagon, though I loved his debut album.

Lisa inspires me. She just keeps on giving. I wish I could give as much as she does.

Mahesh inspires me. I like to think when I told him the world doesn't really need another engineer, that I had some credit for his decision to give the world his music...

John inspires me. I'd love to be as focussed and dedicated to anything as much as John is to Songstuff.

This is getting soppy... I better go!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kel said:

I have different sorts of inspirations...

My love of writing has always been there, even in primary school. While other kids would struggle to fill a page, I'd struggle to keep whatever I was writing under 5! But my inspirations to write songs came from Carole King, Joy McKean and Rod Stewart. (Those outside of Australia may struggle to recognise the name Joy McKean, but she was Slim Dusty's wife of many years and writer of most of his songs.) A diverse group, but not really inspiring what to write, just inspiring TO write.

These days I try to write songs I think George Strait may choose to sing. Or perhaps, songs I would like to hear George Strait sing. I was raised on traditional country, but of course drifted through periods of heavy (classic) Rock, Classic Rock and Roll, Theatrical Rock (think Jim Steinman & Meatloaf) and eventually back to Country in my own preferences. Even with Country I have diverse tastes... despite his being Australian, I am NOT on the Keith Urban bandwagon, though I loved his debut album.

Lisa inspires me. She just keeps on giving. I wish I could give as much as she does.

Mahesh inspires me. I like to think when I told him the world doesn't really need another engineer, that I had some credit for his decision to give the world his music...

John inspires me. I'd love to be as focussed and dedicated to anything as much as John is to Songstuff.

This is getting soppy... I better go!

Awwww nice of you to say Kel. :)

2 hours ago, Lisa Gates said:

@Driftwood  I know I hit the laugh icon but really wanted to comment as well because I'm the same way. lol

It's okay.🤪actually I start with the Beatles myself and would say my style is heavily influenced by them. But as time went on I found other styles of music I liked too, but maybe couldn't emulate to a tee. In those styles I started taking away at least different structures or ideas for arranging. So yes, variety is the spice of life.