Your Ad Could Be Here

Looking To Learn The Very Basics Of Songwriting (To Start)

• Noob

So I know nothing about song writing. Like literally nothing, and I'm kind of interested in trying it. I went through Google and Amazon looking for tips and information for people like me, and I couldn't find anything. The most beginner like material I found talking about songwriting was about 1 to 3 steps above where I currently am, which is knowing basically nothing. So I'm joining to get some help and guidance on what books and information I should be reading and studying in order to learn more about how this whole songwriting thing works and how I can learn to start writing my own songs. 

Once I figure that stuff out I'll see if I want to continue with more advanced stuff. Any guidance would be appreciate, thanks :)

I also have a random question. How are people still able to create new songs? There are millions and millions of different, unique, songs that have been written. Isn't there only so many notes and beats someone can create? Won't there be a point when it's not possible to create new songs because all the possible songs have been written? 

hi  Azul01     music   is  always  reinvented   it  self   but  if  a  musician  just  plays  others  people  music  it  can   make    them  think  its inpossible   to  compose  new  music     the  more  you  compose  the more  complicated  your  music   will  get   hope  that  helps 

Hi Azul,

Welcome. You will do best here if you help us by filling in a bit more of your profile, what you do, lyricist/singer songwriter/musician/composer/etc., your musical influences, etc. Then comment on other's works, and then post some of your own. Share. That  way all of us get to know each other better.

That said, if you look around this site you will find plenty of helpful tips. Do you know any music theory? If not it might pay you to learn, either online, or attending classes close to you. There is a lot of great advice on here to help you write lyrics. Just take things one step at a time and, if you really want to, you will get there. How far you will go also depends on innate talent.

• Noob

John W Selleck Response:

“You will do best here if you help us by filling in a bit more of your profile, what you do, lyricist/singer songwriter/musician/composer/etc”

I don’t do anything. I’ve never tried to play an instrument  or sing. I’m not interested in either of those things right now. Right now, I’m only interested in learning how to write the noise/music for songs (not lyrics). I can focus on that other stuff later.

“Do you know any music theory?”

No. Is that what I should start studying first?

James Anderson response:

Your post helped a little, but I meant aren’t there only so many possible noises someone can create to put in a song? I’m surprised they haven’t run out already.

Hi and welcome to Songstuff!

Playing an instrument is a great way to learn about making music, and that includes singing. It's not that you need to perform in front of anyone, in some ways it helps with communications and understanding music theory, but it also helps to hear what is in your mind. Even if the instrument is an electronic keyboard or even recording software, learning to play something helps you gain invaluable insight into creating music

there   is   no   limit   on   a  guitar       to   what    noises    can   be   made       dont   listen   to  any   one   that   says   theres   is   only   12   notes   to   work   with   to   make music      you   can    bend    notes   to   make   micro     nauences      i   have   heard  it  said   to   me  when  i play  guitar  it   looks   like   you added   a   few new   notes  to  that 😉 piece

• 2 weeks later...

Hi. I linked to a video about running out of music. I don't remember what he says 'cause I haven't watched it in a long time, but I'm sure it's interesting. :) Also, a couple guys just wrote a computer program that created billionssss of melodies, which they put onto a hard drive, and that gives them the ability to copyright all of them. Apparently. Which they don't plan on doing, but it's kind of a fascinating situation.

I struggled when I started writing music. I just looked at the blank page like ughhhhh, there are too many words to choose from. Haha. It sucks when there's no shortcut, and all you can do is start writing and gaining experience. But one thing I love to say when talking about songwriting is that they don't have to be epic poems or anything like that. Or super clever secret messages. I've found that most of the time, the first words that come to my mind when I'm thinking about a certain topic are good to use for the lyrics. 'Cause I feel like the priority for the lyrics should be successfully communicating what you wanna say. But that's just me. I don't know. Bye. :)