Your Ad Could Be Here

Plug In terminology

I think we can sometimes get confused by the terms often used for plugins and soft synths. Some people simply call them plug ins. 

Here are just a few.

-VST2 and VST3. The way these two standards are implemented can be very ambiguous. Both standards are originated by Cubase. Other DAWS have taken to using this standard. One of the main issues is plug in manufacturers don't always use all of the capabilities of a plug in spec. They can, for instance, call their plug in VST 3 when it might only use half of the code in the spec. The  VST3 specification mainly has more capability in routing audio into and out of it. For this reason it takes some investigation into just how much of the specification was adopted. VST3 allows for larger GUI. Fabfilter Pro Q 3 is a good example of this since you can make it cover your entire screen if needed The older Fabfilter Pro Q 2 doesn't have that capability. In most cases VST 2 specification will work just fine for most users. There is usually no need to upgrade to VST3 if VST2 works for you. If, on the other hand, you want the larger GUI or want to route audio or side chain a plugin yiou might want to look into VST3.

The larger issue is 32 bit over 64 bit. Most DAW manufacturers have gone on to 64 bit. Ableton will ONLY accept 64 bit plugins. Cakewalk only accepts 64 bit plugins native, however they use an independent program/server called bitbridge that allows use of 32 bit plugins. Most other DAWs have followed suit. I think the writing is on the wall for total elimination of 32 bit plugins.

This is something to be aware of when going to sites that offer free plugins. Make sure they are 64 bit. Many of these sites offer 32 bit plugins that have not been updated in years. These are one of the MAIN reason DAWs crash and lock up computers, because of poorly written plugins, mostly 32 bit. There are still some good free plugins out there to be found and I have listed a few of those here.

If you use an older OS such as Windows 7. It is no longer supported by Microsoft .Most DAW companies have pulled out further development around that OS as well. Having said that I understand that some have computers all set up the way they like them and don't have any desire to update or upgrade the OS. So long as everything works as you like it you should be fine if you stay unplugged from the web. 

Edited by starise
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 3/3/2020 at 12:00 PM, starise said:

I think we can sometimes get confused by the terms often used for plugins and soft synths. Some people simply call them plug ins. 

Here are just a few.

-VST2 and VST3. The way these two standards are implemented can be very ambiguous. Both standards are originated by Cubase. Other DAWS have taken to using this standard. One of the main issues is plug in manufacturers don't always use all of the capabilities of a plug in spec. They can, for instance, call their plug in VST 3 when it might only use half of the code in the spec. The  VST3 specification mainly has more capability in routing audio into and out of it. For this reason it takes some investigation into just how much of the specification was adopted. VST3 allows for larger GUI. Fabfilter Pro Q 3 is a good example of this since you can make it cover your entire screen if needed The older Fabfilter Pro Q 2 doesn't have that capability. In most cases VST 2 specification will work just fine for most users. There is usually no need to upgrade to VST3 if VST2 works for you. If, on the other hand, you want the larger GUI or want to route audio or side chain a plugin yiou might want to look into VST3.

The larger issue is 32 bit over 64 bit. Most DAW manufacturers have gone on to 64 bit. Ableton will ONLY accept 64 bit plugins. Cakewalk only accepts 64 bit plugins native, however they use an independent program/server called bitbridge that allows use of 32 bit plugins. Most other DAWs have followed suit. I think the writing is on the wall for total elimination of 32 bit plugins.

This is something to be aware of when going to sites that offer free plugins. Make sure they are 64 bit. Many of these sites offer 32 bit plugins that have not been updated in years. These are one of the MAIN reason DAWs crash and lock up computers, because of poorly written plugins, mostly 32 bit. There are still some good free plugins out there to be found and I have listed a few of those here.

If you use an older OS such as Windows 7. It is no longer supported by Microsoft .Most DAW companies have pulled out further development around that OS as well. Having said that I understand that some have computers all set up the way they like them and don't have any desire to update or upgrade the OS. So long as everything works as you like it you should be fine if you stay unplugged from the web. 

Thanks!...Still reads kinda rough for people that just know how an instrument works...but well written :) 

• Like 1

The bit that always annoys me is the install paths for plug ins. What is the point of industry standards when companies install to their own chosen folders.

• Like 3

On 5/12/2020 at 1:33 PM, john said:

The bit that always annoys me is the install paths for plug ins. What is the point of industry standards when companies install to their own chosen folders.

good question.....money is the most likely answer, but I assume you know that haha.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...

One thing I did early on was create my own subfolders in the Ableton Live instrument and Fx racks sections of the user presets folder. All my vst, no matter where it is,gets grouped whether I assign macro knobs or not,just so it can be saved as a rack preset in my custom subfolders.

That way I get to keep sampler instruments and customs racks organized with the vst instruments. 

Also

That way if an old plugin absolutely insists in some hardwired location on install, It's not a bother. It will end up getting racked. 

Edited by Tonedead

• 1 year later...

Zzzzzz. Man that was a long nap.

Just a tidbit. If you have a DAW that disourages a plugin type you can buy UNIFY which generally accepts anything and then load UNIFY into your DAW. That way you can not only have a great tool at you disposal  which also accepts the plug ins your DAW doesn't.

• Like 1

Just now, starise said:

Zzzzzz. Man that was a long nap.

Just a tidbit. If you have a DAW that disourages a plugin type you can buy UNIFY which generally accepts anything and then load UNIFY into your DAW. That way you can not only have a great tool at you disposal  which also accepts the plug ins your DAW doesn't.

a good call Tim!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 5/12/2020 at 2:33 PM, john said:

I would be addressing windows computers here. One very common folder for many manufacturers is "Steinberg" as a folder. They install plugins into that folder presumably because they were the original designers of the standard, so I guess that makes sense.

I think having options sometimes confuse at installation time and allowing a user to select their own folder can be a problem if a person isn't organized.

In Windows there is a vst program files and a vst program files 64 where most manufacturers have a sub folder. If a 64bit plugin gets installed into the older system 32 folder it may not be scanned.

AAX is the pro tools standard and then the apple standard. Those are generally offered.It's funny because when I look at instructional videos the users as 'assuming' we all use apple computers. 

Should we select both vst 2 and vst 3 if offered? I generally do but in some DAWS you may need to reconfigure your plug in scan folders. It's probably less cluttered to just select vst 3 and be done with it. Ableton is finicky in telling it where your plug in folders are if they are in numerous folders. It wants to see only new shiny 64 bit plugins.

Since I had used Cakewalk and since there was a bunch of Cakewalk plugins before it went to Bandlab, it was a default folder in my computer for plugins. The entire Nomad collection was once a part of that DAW. Also had Addictive drums in it, and other stuff. When I would install plugins I didn't realize that many of them were going into that folder. There are also ways an manufacturer who has made deals with a plug in company tie those plugin specifically only to that daw. This made for all sorts of issues when I went to Ableton as I liked those older plugins. In some DAWS like Studio One my nomad plugins worked while in Ableton they didn't. 

Maybe in conrast to many DAWs , Studio One actually has a channel strip that can be used in any DAW.

I relocated the positions of a bunch of them into more common plug in folder VST under Program files, and for the most part that works unless you used a manufacturer portal that identifies the folder location and flags you. That happened with Toontrack and I had to contact them. They worked with me to get it all to work again.

Since many manufacturers are now using a portal download system it's important to know what you want up front in terms of plugin locations. Several use PACE and the newer itinerations of it allow the option to store the license either on your computer or on their usb stick. I prefer having the info on their dongle. In some computer options a server is dialed up to make sure you are legit. What if you aren't connected to the web? Not a very good system.

Worst case, if I made a mess of everything I would simply uninstall, contact the maker and reinstall the product after I deleted everything from before. That's really not something I ever want to to unless I am building a new computer.

Edited by starise

On 11/21/2023 at 4:38 AM, starise said:

load UNIFY into your DAW ... accepts the plug ins your DAW doesn't

Have investigated but apparently still NOT available as AAX (the only format that Pro Tools uses). 
The inability of ProTools to use VSTs has been a constant pain as there is so much free stuff that I'm prevented from using!

"MetaPlugin" (https://ddmf.eu/metaplugin-chainer-vst-au-rtas-aax-wrapper/) is available to install as AAX and allows hosting of VST and AU plugins in Pro Tools.  It is visually very clunky.  Currently USD59 (71EU).  I've used/tested the free demo version but you must keep its window open else your settings are lost.

• Like 1

I glad you jumped in here because I don't use PT. Sorry  I pointed you the wrong way there. Maybe I'll suggest to the UNIFY team they should look at that format. My hunch is it's copy protected in some way. Either that or there is some kind of a technical hurdle.

The good news, at least I think, is that any of the good pluging catering to the larger professional sector of the industry SHOULD have AAX for their plug ins. I know Waves does. And higher tier plugins like Fabfilter.

• Like 1