Your Ad Could Be Here

Corona Isolation Covid-19 Song Challenge #3 A Song About Writing Songs

Write A Song About Writing Songs

514599E0-60FA-4B63-A072-06516E84E22A.jpeg

We have a number of challenges to help keep you entertained during self-isolation in response to Covid-19, the new corona virus.

We will be posting 5 song challenges today. It is up to you if you take part in one or all 5. We will promote all the songs that take part using the hashtags #sharethis & #covid19songchallenge

This 3rd challenge is to write a song about writing songs. The perspective you take is Tupperwares to you. It is also up to you if it is lyrics only or words and music.

If you do write words and music you earn special kudos points if you post a video of you performing the song for everyone to enjoy.

Try and post your finished piece by close of this Friday, 27th March.

Over to you, and remember... have fun!

• 3 weeks later...

Another good challenge idea, but I had no hope of making that deadline! Still thinking about this one. I'm getting my inspiration song list together of "songs about songs".

I write the songs - Barry Manilow

I'm singing this song for you - Ray Charles

Your song - Elton John/Bernie Taupin

Piano man - Bill Joel

Killing me softly with his song - Roberta Flack

Anyone - Demi Lovato

Etc.

If anyone has anything else to add to the inspiration list feel free to share. ~T

A song about writing songs.  I've written on that before so had to go in a completely different direction from what I had already written.  Had fun with it.  Not sure that this was the kind of thing you meant.  I guess I'll find out.

Ponder These Empty Lines

Lyrics by Kc Chad © 2020

If I could just get my head in it

I know I could spin it

But I’ve no focus for my mind

It’s hard for me to keep still enough

I’m up and down and clearing out

My mind, my space, everyplace

Pen ready for a doodle date

While I ponder these empty lines

Ponder these empty lines.

Reminder-- call the bank again

And I’ve got to get that email sent

Spot’s whining at the door, Oh shed!

Hold on...I’ll be right there.

The Ups truck chugs its engine off

Toss on a robe before he knocks

Crack the door… out noses Spot! Oh Shed!

He’s just gotta pee, I swear.

It’s hard for me to keep still enough

I’m up and down and clearing out

My mind, my space, everyplace

Smoke alarm is piercing loud

My teapot’s hot, been boiling out

Turn it off, move it off. Ow! That’s hot!

Wanted coffee anyway

I’m gonna sit! Sit here at my desk

Get a text on my cell, landline ringing out as well

Not answering.  Let ‘er ring.

Plug the ears and hummmmmmmmm….

Fingers drum

Ahhh…

If only I can keep still enough

No up or down or clearing out

Clear my mind, my space, stay in place

I ponder these empty lines

Hi, Pachisme.

This has a scattered feel that does a good job of capturing many of the distractions that we fall prey to when trying to concentrate. One question that came to me is: What makes this about songwriting as opposed to writing a book or a journal article (my current struggle!) or some other type of writing project?

If this wasn't in response to the challenge, I would think that the more types of writing this could apply to the better, but the challenge brief leads me to ask the question.

~T

On 4/17/2020 at 10:41 PM, Timbre said:

One question that came to me is: What makes this about songwriting as opposed to writing a book or a journal article (my current struggle!) or some other type of writing project?

Hi Timbre, 

Thanks for giving this your attention.  In answer to your question...I suppose it is pretty non-specific to songwriting.  I was thinking songwriting when I wrote it without thought to it being actually quite generalized.  It certainly could apply to other types of writing, which generally I don't do except for some journaling and perhaps the occasional article research/writing that I do for just myself.  I suppose I could consider the challenge once again being more specific and do another write about songwriting if I get so inspired.

• Peggy pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...

here is my song on writing songs.... I got the idea from my own ups and downs of my talent.... and watching the movie "Rear Window" where the starving songwriter playing his piano in a few scenes... I thought of a would be Broadway songwriter... a combination of ideas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opAWuvx_IQA

• john unpinned this topic

Archived