Your Ad Could Be Here

Songwriter Mistakes

I’m not sure if this is where I should post this observation. 
I had a major spine surgery this past Thursday. I spent 5 days hospitalized. I had a conversation with a nurse that led to me telling her I write songs. She unleashed a torrent of criticism on the music industry. Nursing is obviously her second choice of occupation. I found out she was an undiscovered genius and that music professionals are too stupid to understand her. She went to LA at one point in her life to bless the world with her incredible singing voice and world class songwriting. Can you believe nobody thought she was any good? Apparently she, in her estimation, put Whitney Houston and Mariah  Carey to shame. 
I suffered 5 days of her reliving every rejection from know nothing music industry pros. To top it off I always heard her start singing just before entering my room. I politely listened to her demos she loaded into her phone. In almost every instance I was ready for her to shut it off after 15 seconds. I’m not sure if she was under the impression I was already successful in the business and was there for her to audition. She made every mistake I’ve ever read about contacts in business. 

Hi Dave, How about I move this topic to Musician's Lounge? It'd be a HIT I'm sure.

Dave, I'm the opposite of your nurse. It takes a long time for me to have a comfortable relationship with someone I know is in the music industry before I would start pushing my music on them. The whole point is to know who I'm talking to and what they may want from what I may be able to give them. looking for the win-win situation I guess.

I'm glad to hear you're out of the hospital and hope you're recovering well. Take care of you. Maybe the nurse was put in your path so you could share it here at Songstuff as a learning lesson?

Stay safe! Get better!!

Lisa

13 hours ago, fasstrack said:

Since I started writing songs, not 'ditties'---music and words---it's been a tougher road. But I'm finally getting a tiny following among vocalists, and getting paid (by one, anyway, who put my song 1st track on her CD, and was courteous enough to pay all the songwriters, damn good ones, too, out of pocket and above whatever ASCAP or BMI will accrue). That's a start. It helps to have good demos. Sheet music may not be enough. Either way, you're asking busy people to take time out---and they're themselves on the hustle. So, obviously, you send something worth their time, with a low-key brief introductory note. No song and dance, no bouquets (though, if you're really an admirer it's OK to gently throw that in). Short, sweet, polite---and some levity doesn't hurt.

I wish you all luck!

Nothing wrong with ditties.....they've always paid the bills :) guess it's up to ones own interpretation 

I have a problem keeping my mouth shut, but I'd of told that nurse worse damn things have happened then you're failed "music" career.....fix my back bitch :) but that's just me.

Hope things are well/well enough.

I should learn to read better :)

On 5/7/2020 at 10:54 AM, DaveKell said:

I’m not sure if this is where I should post this observation. 
I had a major spine surgery this past Thursday. I spent 5 days hospitalized. I had a conversation with a nurse that led to me telling her I write songs. She unleashed a torrent of criticism on the music industry. Nursing is obviously her second choice of occupation. I found out she was an undiscovered genius and that music professionals are too stupid to understand her. She went to LA at one point in her life to bless the world with her incredible singing voice and world class songwriting. Can you believe nobody thought she was any good? Apparently she, in her estimation, put Whitney Houston and Mariah  Carey to shame. 
I suffered 5 days of her reliving every rejection from know nothing music industry pros. To top it off I always heard her start singing just before entering my room. I politely listened to her demos she loaded into her phone. In almost every instance I was ready for her to shut it off after 15 seconds. I’m not sure if she was under the impression I was already successful in the business and was there for her to audition. She made every mistake I’ve ever read about contacts in business. 

take care of that back!......oh what the music world missed with her not being on the radio :) ......was she any good as a nurse? other than pushing her grief onto you that is? hahah

22 minutes ago, Patchez said:

:) good question!! And, practacle too. 

Did you get any "extra" meds!? for the trouble?

-- They usually have a special Refrigerator where they keep the good hospital food, -- they got great ham sandwiches stored there :) !  

I wouldn't know nothing about those places....hahah 

made me think of another skit/joke that's already been told...

Lone Ranger was making his silver bullets, while Tonto thought to himself

damn one of those things would of fed my tribe for years....and what a crap bullet that be

And, while of course "every(?) songwriter has a crazy(!) fish story tale to tell," there just might also be something to be said for the notion that they really should try to set themselves as "fiction(!) writers."  That is to say, as "pure story-tellers."  Dare I say: "entertainers."

Obviously, songwriting can be "personal," and as such can be "cathartic to the songwriter," but I candidly submit that a really-great song is one that is "equally cathartic" to a complete stranger.  Much more difficult.

Or, maybe not:  "I am here now ... en-ter-tain me."  ... "Sing us a song, you're the piano man." ... :)

On 5/7/2020 at 10:54 AM, DaveKell said:

that led to me telling her I write songs.

There's your mistake.. haha.. 

Hope you're  recovering nicely!

Archived