Your Ad Could Be Here

Music Marketing Challenge Series #1: Step 2 - Basic Assets

Hi Guys

Ok, we need to get some basics in place and sorted out.

1) Your Bios - Yes, more than one.... so long bio and short bio (ideally)

Can you post up what you have? Don't write something new, yet... we will do that soon. I am just interested in what you have.

2) Your current photos - Please keep to 3 max that most represent what you have as your image

3) Your logo - If you have one

4) Your current album/EP artwork if you have any

@Patchez @Cody @geographyhorse @Danidog @Peggy @Mahesh

• john changed the title to Music Marketing Challenge Series #1: Basic Assets
5 minutes ago, Patchez said:

I'll have to think about this. 

I don't want to disrupt it, but I am sure I'm not going to provied a "real" bio, and pics. (As if any are anyway :) hahhh!).

So, if that's ok, and just to then participate, LMK. 

If a tracking of deployment may be wanted, a results matrix, from a rubric, -- well, that can likely be done even in that manner. 

hey

You've posted links to your Us**** tracks, which is an alias you freely acknowledge... you need to think of it as a bio for Us**** , not you.

Bios are not "born in 1852, Us***** is the sectret alias of Bobby Smirkster, a super secret super spy. He went to school aged 5 and discovered his love of music under a rock during break time on July 4th..."

"Us**** is an American rapper based in New York city." Is about as short as it gets, but think about who Us**** is, what Us**** is trying to accomplish. I don't think you need to say it is an alias. It's an artist name like Deep Red Sea. I don't acknowledge the connection to me outside of these boards. Deep Red Sea is something distinct, separate and at least for now, bios will be about the artist. Just like a company might be "Founded in 2018" people know the members would have been born before that and that there is no person called "Eastern Star Wholesale".

I would still suggest photos. If you don't want to e recognised then you could go the way of a bucket over your head or some other head gear to disguise your appearance. It works for later Sia, Daftpunk and in this day and age I am sure it would just be accepted that that is you

Cheers

John

55 minutes ago, john said:

Bios are not "born in 1852, Us***** is the sectret alias of Bobby Smirkster, a super secret super spy. He went to school aged 5 and discovered his love of music under a rock during break time on July 4th..."

"Us**** is an American rapper based in New York city." Is about as short as it gets, but think about who Us**** is, what Us**** is trying to accomplish.

All my suspicions confirmed ;) 

Will take me a few days to round up some pictures and such.  I've got plenty of those, very few of myself, but yeah as stated, probably won't be one, at least for now. bio would have to all be new.....Cody from Oklahoma is about as deep as that goes :) and there's a couple of them already hah!

Also... avoid untruths or outrageous claims. Big yourself up, but within reason

There is no reason not to have a bio. Hell even if your bio is:

"I don't want to tell you who I am because, quite honestly I don't think it's important. I am passionate about my music and I really hope you can hear that."

you should still have a bio. It is an important chance to convey something of who you are, and what you are about and that helps make the connection with listeners.

Understandable..... @john you're pretty good at this bio writing bit haha, 

my newest deepest one

Was born....still kicking around....so it goes

was commented making music along the way might be a nice touch ;) 

lol

Actually chronological is another no no.

"I was born in january 1967 and started play piano in  March 1971. It was a sunny day and I had lunch about 2pm. At 7 years old I started playing the violin when all of a sudden I bored everyone to death. Struck by the sudden lack of audience I gave up music and  turned to accountancy. I stayed with accountancy until my midlife crisis struck and I took up guitar determined to play my favorite track by Tool."

Actually, the use of humour completely detracts from the point. iT was way too boring to write never mind read!

14 hours ago, john said:

Hi Guys

Ok, we need to get some basics in place and sorted out.

1) Your Bios - Yes, more than one.... so long bio and short bio (ideally)

Can you post up what you have? Don't write something new, yet... we will do that soon. I am just interested in what you have.

2) Your current photos - Please keep to 3 max that most represent what you have as your image

3) Your logo - If you have one

4) Your current album/EP artwork if you have any

@Patchez @Cody @geographyhorse @Danidog @Peggy @Mahesh

no bio so far other than that one ;) 

some various song/album/ep art the only pic I have of myself, and some other scribbles

depending on whatever band really a solo show name I end up sticking with will depend on logo

have it narrowed down to probably two

Yo Mammy and the Fuzznuts(I'm just a fuzznut, yo mammy is busy, and can't find that other nut)

Mary Jane Poppins and the Teddy Ruxpin Connection

and do have some scribbles for a logo for that one

Mary Poppins opening her umbrella while its up Teddy Ruxpins uhhhh "tape hole" and him vomiting up microfiche 

I knew there was always a connection :) 

frogsnake.thumb.jpg.90fdb413a6bac1ae1c38c628954262bf.jpgfrozerat.thumb.jpeg.c0cd59000b4cea0a7af424cc400667c4.jpegkitty2.thumb.jpeg.ca627187bb531d0369562487816ec4e1.jpegme.thumb.jpg.e0a9a05d8ec913ea084bf118dc75888c.jpg840792473_rabbitholes.thumb.jpeg.b92362a7d16e94a3a373ee581c79733e.jpegselfportrait.thumb.jpeg.455e6c253bff93f5a9031c67625f44fd.jpeg

and I need a new kitty, but there's plenty of pics of that cute little fella.........Schrodingers stuffed kitty didn't make it out of New England hahaha or did it?

1.) Bio- from my website.....

William Sanford is an

eclectic eccentric electronic

musician from the Northwest Indiana/Chicago-land area. William’s music tends to be progressive and Avant-garde leaning, but draws influence by a variety of genres including ambient, IDM, EDM, industrial, noise, and even art pop.

William grew up in a boring working class neighborhood in a boring suburban town, always feeling out of place, out of time, and out of touch. William then sought solace in academia. And although William excelled academically in Philosophy, it did little to cement his place in this world. In fact, it only filled William with more questions and concerns. When William finally moved away for a brief stint in Philadelphia, he quickly found he was out of place, out of time, and out of touch there as well. It is this abstracted-ness from cultural and spatial reality that William draws his greatest influence. His music is, ultimately, an attempt to process, catalog and rationalize his disconnectedness from the reality that surrounds him. It is music that is both present and absent; a part of and apart from this world. It is a marriage of his fascination and discontentment of “high” culture with his fears and insecurities brought on by his humble origins. He asks not that you let him into your world, but that you get lost in his; if only for the briefest of moments. This is music that is ultimately about being “lost” and it demands that the listener get “lost” within it.

It’s

Different Different

from Spotify (my social networks etc. Have some variation of this) 

Screenshot_20200718-204458_Artists.thumb.jpg.11a19a5ef8ada357bee5070d5f55d8da.jpg

From Instagram....

William Sanford is an eclectic eccentric electronic musician from the Northwest Indiana/Chicago-land area. It's different different.

2.) Photos.....

I plan to have professional photos done in August. But for now this is what I've cobbled together. 

11f5dc1f7ab0e55c0a716abfadae9d3f.thumb.jpg.8d7d9a6af704c9ba9f66b1faf74c0f7d.jpgfa9125641ec86e594e5121d86b4a7015.thumb.jpg.4e3e63134c3eaf815f21d6f5aabd1231.jpgIMG_20200603_080416_828.thumb.jpg.46951467ffeff4e671be60043ea09604.jpg

3.) Right now I'm simply using my name in Souvinir font (I paid for the licensing to use the font professionally) or a "W" in souvenir font. I'm getting a professional logo done up in an embroidered style (also, in August) which will be some variation of the souvenir "W" with a stumpwork snail. 

IMG_20200527_203515_384.thumb.jpg.b5bd2579e1e44b680e8f14f205040eac.jpg

4). Current E.P.s etc......

maxresdefault.thumb.jpg.b54d26d48c102a1953d481c21e42e381.jpgmaxresdefault-1.thumb.jpg.4869211b42091e87afdf75bfa60e018a.jpg

@geographyhorse I must say that crown looks great! is that a FF red mage whispering in your ear? hahah made my evening!

1 hour ago, Patchez said:

Patchez as his name implies is a global, experimental artist that tends to land back at one voice, one guitar tracks. 

would work for me as a bio :) nuff said!

never have been much for having my picture taken.......I'll refrain from a long philisophical debate about how it really does steal a piece of your soul forever cementing it in that moment in time never allowing change to occur :) haha..........

.....back on topic, back on topic.....back on topic.........if I repeat it enough maybe I'll remember ;) 

34 minutes ago, Cody said:

@geographyhorse I must say that crown looks great! is that a FF red mage whispering in your ear? hahah made my evening!

Yes, it is. My friend picked it up for me at Gen Con last year. I always picked Bards and Jack of all Stats style characters in rpgs (both tabletop and video games). I guess it kinda fits with my eclectic style and persona I'm cobbling together. 😂😂😂

• Editors

Mahesh 2020 Profile Pic at Oscars.jpg

Mahesh is a musician from Bangalore, India who is coming to be known as one of the best singer-songwriters in the country.  Drawing influences from various styles of music, his songwriting and vocal abilities have been favorably compared to the likes of John Mayer, Damien Rice, Radiohead and Jeff Buckley.

Mahesh Live at Emotion and Words.png

History

Mahesh started his career in early 2013 and slowly gained the attention of local audiences with his solo-performances at venues in Bangalore.  He has toured across the country while playing at numerous music festivals and performance venues over the years notably..

Backdoors Festival 2018 whose line up also included artists such as Anderson .Paak, Wolf Alice, Watsky etc.,

>

Multiple Bacardi NH7 Weekender Festivals over the years whose line up also included the likes of Steven Wilson, Steve Vai, Switchfoot, Poets of the Fall, Joe Satriani etc.,

<

Supported multiple international singer-songwriters such as Lucy Rose (U.K), Luke Sital-Singh (U.K) as they played in the country.

>

He further toured internationally across Thailand, Cambodia & Vietnam in 2019.

_

2020 JG3CL.jpg

In the Press

His official debut studio EP titled “Accept” was released in September 2018 with critical praise.

>

The singles from the EP were included in the official iTunes playlist "The A-List: Pop" and the official Spotify Playlist "Indie-an Rock"

<

"Accept" was included as one of the 10 Best Indian EPs of 2018 on Rolling Stone India and Rock Street Journal.

_

SP-TW.jpg

Known for his impassioned stage-persona and emotive performances, Mahesh continues to evolve his artistic identity and music as he takes his steady and passionate followers along with him.

2020 JG2WD.jpg

Official SoundCloud EP Stream

yin

yang

Social Links

Listen to the 2018 EP “Accept” on Spotify, Apple Music and more..

https://fanlink.to/AcceptEP

Follow Mahesh on Instagram, Twitter & Facebook

http://instagram.com/MaheshMusic | http://twitter.com/MaheshOnMusic | http://facebook.com/MaheshMusic

( I've attached the latest version of my artist kit pdf. But I must say the latest version needs a bit updating too and I will do so very soon!  lol I thought it'd be useful as a template reference for anybody who needs it. )

Mahesh Music Artist Profile 2020 SSCH.pdf

P.S extra points to those who can spot the songstuff 'easter egg' in the EP artwork ;)

@Mahesh hah is that @john posing in the ad on the bus? ;) nah I saw it at the bus-stop before I read rest of your post I was going to compliment you on the artwork for accept if I didn't already, that was only seeing the desert one....I like the bus-stop one even better!  I assume that's digitally done only because of the extra straight lines in some spots? or is it a watercolor? my screen isn't good enough to tell hahah really great stuff though...both covers!

@Maheshthe songstuff logo is on the poster in the background

• Editors
7 hours ago, Cody said:

@Mahesh hah is that @john posing in the ad on the bus? ;) nah I saw it at the bus-stop before I read rest of your post I was going to compliment you on the artwork for accept if I didn't already, that was only seeing the desert one....I like the bus-stop one even better!  I assume that's digitally done only because of the extra straight lines in some spots? or is it a watercolor? my screen isn't good enough to tell hahah really great stuff though...both covers!

🤣 Yeah. Interestingly enough, the sign on the bus is a reference to my mental health struggles that John has really helped with over the years. But you're right! The totally 'Moxey' top she's wearing was the bigger give away! lmao

Thanks Cody! Both of em are digitally made. I wasn't sure at the beginning if my artist friend would be open to a dual yin-yang sorta artwork format. But she was really cool about it and did a beautiful job!

6 hours ago, geographyhorse said:

@Maheshthe songstuff logo is on the poster in the background

Yay! 🥳

By all means discuss each other’s bios, photos, artwork etc. It’s good practice for honing skills plus it is good to become familiar with each other’s brands.

One thing that is good, is that the assets described go some way to capturing and defining your image. Of course other things contribute, but much of your image flows from and is expressed through these assets. “Image” goes way beyond looks. Really it is public perception of how you represent and present yourself.

How about we go through what Cody has provided. Each of you try to describe What do you think Cody’s image is? Is it a professional image? What does it say to you?

This exercise is useful for each of you. It gives you the rare opportunity of being able to compare what you think your image is, and how others would see you. 

Once others have offered their opinion, then please describe your intended image. We can then compare the two and if willing we could discuss the impact of the bio, photos and artwork on image and lastly suggestions for improving or at least experiments to be made. We can go round each of you.

Note, even if you don’t intentionally project an image you still end up presenting an image to the public. Just like music, intent is everything. You may not have control, just like songwriting. It may just tumble out. But if you don’t have intent... it gets hard to claim it as your art.

It only needs to be as in-depth as you want. As an exercise this can be quite revealing.

I would suggest we at least try writing some new bios with some basic guidelines in place. We can do that with photos too and when you next plan on some artwork, even homemade, it is good to revisit some take aways from this topic.

I suggest:

Cody

Patchez

Geographyhorse

Mahesh

I am not sure if @Peggy or @Danidog are taking part?

:)

My feeler is tucked away nicely....do fire away! ;) 

Guy looks like some punk-ass that hates to have his picture taken, can't draw for shit, and plays some really crappy guitars :) 

Apologies, I'm going to have to sit this one out. See you all in a couple months.

7 hours ago, Patchez said:

What is "Professional"? 

Answers on a postcard.

You would get many different answers to this. Some might say "polished" or "high quality" or something similar. In other contextx it can be a measure of work ethic and work standards.

However for me it is something different. I think of it as a combination of clarity of vision, clear intention, an alignment of brand through the artist and their products (even if the results look unpolished and rough, there should be a continuity and consistency. A lot of effort can go into being just the right sort of disheveled lol) and importantly... attention to detail. All these things contribute towards an impression of confidence and competance.

I ask for a reason. The listening public can't always define "professional" either, but they are very adept at perceiving and labelling "amateur" and it's a label that sticks. It changes how they deal with you, how they see what you do. No longer is it "good" it's "good, for an amateur". A good number of professional artists wouldn't go near indie web sites as themselves for fear of being tainted with the amateur label themselves. Once you are labelled amateur making any sales is much harder. It seems to come down to people believing in you and their perception of you believing in yourself. That last, they can suspend for a short while, while you discover self-belief, but they do expect you to find it.

Just to stress, this is not about us making a negative judgement. It's about looking at why other people might form such opinions and do what we can to manage and develop opinions while remaining true to ourself. I tend to think of this process for an artist as being closer to distillation, to achieve a purer expression of our vision.

13 minutes ago, Danidog said:

I'm still in, just following along slowly, 6 weeks of rehab started this week and it exhausts me.

Sorry Dan, I've had a lot going on and your own rehad slipped my mind! Doh!

I hope you are progressing well :)

Archived