Your Ad Could Be Here

Music Marketing Challenge Series #1: Step 2 - Basic Assets

@Peggy is kidding on she didn't notice lol

• Editors

I think these basic assets Cody has presented is a good start. Since the bio, the name of the act and essentially the 'branding' of the act is pending, these resources to me provide hints of his personality and the kind of objects and visual representations that maybe best suitable to reflect it.

Some of the things that it may lead to are

• the kind of color pallets you may want to use in your graphics
  • the kind of design elements that could be included in the logo
  • wardrobe ideas, photo shoot concepts, artwork designs
  • and so on...

A lot of these sorta things help you give the audience an opportunity to know about you and your music even before they listen to it!

Sorry I've been away. We had a COVID-19 case in the apartment and they've been working on containing the whole building lol Been a distracting week!

Just something to add to @Patchez bio........was recently called a "demented senile old hippie spouting love nonsense" or something similar .........hmmm it all just happened to come true though :) I found it quite hilarious, just figured I'd share! 

On 7/19/2020 at 11:11 PM, Cody said:

@Mahesh hah is that @john posing in the ad on the bus? ;) nah I saw it at the bus-stop before I read rest of your post I was going to compliment you on the artwork for accept if I didn't already, that was only seeing the desert one....I like the bus-stop one even better!  I assume that's digitally done only because of the extra straight lines in some spots? or is it a watercolor? my screen isn't good enough to tell hahah really great stuff though...both covers!

Out of interest this demonstrates a key benefit of this kind of cover art... it is seeded with talking points, details that people will talk about, helping to keep the artist in their mind.

@Cody, looking at your images, for me there is an issue. Well, more than one.

1. The primary issue is the disconnect between the images and you
  2. A secondary issue is how the images relate to each other (Not essential but people do try to connect them)

Assuming you do address the two above, then comes the age old questions:

• What do the images say about you?
  • Is it helpful to you, the artist?

Often the second question is replaced with:

• Does the photos/asset/event say something positive or complementary about you or does it paint you in a good light?

I would still ask that question, but I think "is it helpful?" is more fundamental.

Other questions that are useful to ask (and the answers to these are intended to be informative to help you to classify where, when and how to use the images):

• Are the images eye-catching?
  • Are they memorable?
  • Do they convey a "professional" image?

I could go on. That last one, for me my own interpretation of that last question turns the question from being a possible implied criticism (when asked) to be being something that is really useful to the artist.

Going back to question 1 above, the solution is some thought towards how you connect the images to you. The easiest is conveying why that image was chosen. Context sometimes does that. For example, if you had a song about waking up in the morning, an image that had a cup of coffee on a coffee table there is an obvious connection between the artist and song, and between the song and the subject of the image.

So it is entirely possible that the context of the image being presented might resolve that connection... which might make them useful as art shots on an album cover (such as a table with some photos scattered on the table), but less so as some kind of promo or image establishing shot... the reason being, you control the context that promo shots are used... so you need to think about this when choosing promo/image shots.

One other big issue, is image quality. this goes to how image establishing shots are used. Print, particularly, needs hi def shots. As an artist you need to consider this.

Equally, press and media want a "well taken shot". Pixelated works well as an intentional effect, but it is less desired when it comes to unintentional... ie you need a justifiable reason. Sure, it's always the artist's choice. Just like music, they can disregard such considerationsa as part of their statement to the world, but just like music, there are consequences. Specifically, if your image quality is poor, the chances of it being used in a magazine (for example) is very low. The reason is simple. If your image looks poor quality, it reflects on the magazine's brand. Readers first and foremost blame the magazine for gaps in image quality.

Particularly for online indies, the magazines, emags, blogs etc need you to provide the images. In the real world, they would send round a photographer. So you need to consider supporting their needs in your promo shots. Quality of image is a key aspect of the image. Also the R rating lol

If you are losing coverage/features/interviews on websites and in the press because of your images, that would be a real, real shame. The same goes if they do feature you but THEY choose the images used, and use some innocuous stock image.

Of course you can ignore all this, but in come those consequences...

The good thing is that the kind of images chose is MUCH more flexible. All you need is a bit of thought to make sure you maximise the effectiveness of your image.

Would you intentionally choose ineffective images, or worse, images that damaged the chance of your being featured, or left people confused or with a poor impression of who you are?

FOod for thought

@john Thanks! and I work with what I got ;) that is the only picture I have of myself, old phone is my only soul stealing...ahem picture taking device ;) I may rectify that sometime in the not so near future...there are other priorities, but photography is a  fairly passionate hobby, I would use an actual decent camera.  There's lots of songs about Schrodinger's stuffed kitty getting into all sorts of hijinks....I think there's at least 6 or 7.  The sharpie on the back of the notebook has a tune about traveling a road of paved intentions decidedly R rated...still no lyrics to "fit" other than motherf*ck this f*cking road ;) no way to sugarcoat that feeling with nice gentle words, and it plans on being very crummily animated someday so it tells me hahaha.   so yeah there's a connect...Snake songs...well there's always snake songs about half eaten frogs still alive that haven't given up yet :) 

but yeah all very valid points! and lots to chew on,  thanks again!

leaving people confused I have no problem with! I feel that's 99% of our default setting, and the 1% who aren't are usually lying to themselves or delusional hahaha

1 hour ago, Patchez said:

It's not a: 

However, any question that can be heard in a contrarian manner, intended or not and -- not here, could be considered for rephrasing. 

I read the others as single and open ended with no implication or way to infer anthing  other than, what they do, and -- well. They ask a question, not provide an evaluation of any kind. That question gets stick since it may, for some provide an evaluation of some kind, not as the others do. 

I don't want to make to fine a point. However, how many couples never went out for date night when one asked the other, -- "you're wearing that?". It could well be, -- "oh, thank God since you look amazing in it"... but, delivery post fact is always tricky. Uno? 

And... 

Never took it any way other than you highlighting for good cause :) Quite right it needed more explanation. Hopefully what i added was adequate to the task :)

Thank you :)

39 minutes ago, Cody said:

@john Thanks! and I work with what I got ;) that is the only picture I have of myself, old phone is my only soul stealing...ahem picture taking device ;) I may rectify that sometime in the not so near future...there are other priorities, but photography is a  fairly passionate hobby, I would use an actual decent camera.  There's lots of songs about Schrodinger's stuffed kitty getting into all sorts of hijinks....I think there's at least 6 or 7.  The sharpie on the back of the notebook has a tune about traveling a road of paved intentions decidedly R rated...still no lyrics to "fit" other than motherf*ck this f*cking road ;) no way to sugarcoat that feeling with nice gentle words, and it plans on being very crummily animated someday so it tells me hahaha.   so yeah there's a connect...Snake songs...well there's always snake songs about half eaten frogs still alive that haven't given up yet :) 

but yeah all very valid points! and lots to chew on,  thanks again!

leaving people confused I have no problem with! I feel that's 99% of our default setting, and the 1% who aren't are usually lying to themselves or delusional hahaha

You can always explore getting a friend to take photos, hell a passer by ;)

While you sort out your ability to take better quality pics I still suggest you think about the continuity of image you present. At least you can present a thought out web presence if you use a theme. Just like other artists you can refresh your image theme (one of the useful benefits of albums was it compartmentalised image shifts). So every 10 song releases or so, do a respin, refresh all your images, photos and graphics. If they are low grade, lets explore presenting a narrative explaining the lo-fi quality. I am of the belief that where you cannot change something, you embrace it as a feature, for now. That means prominance and explanation. That, of course, includes the truth lol but there are various versions of the truth because reasons can be complex. However in presenting the explanation you can choose which aspects to highlight. So, you may well have a liking of lofi photos. If you don't want to higlight financials, you can present that as a positive explanation. I say that because highlighting financial explanations can be a double edged sword. It can be interpreted as seeking sympathy as a way ahead (think the American Idol sob stories) which can also count against you with other people or other contexts... so I tend to avoid financial explanations as an artist. I have tried (out of desparation at times when I thought it would have to be closed) with Songstuff, but in all honesty the number of people that reached where it was taken as intended was very, very small. I think most people suspect alterior motives, or they think "why should I care?". A multitude of reactions. Few turn out as positive. Most people who really get it are in the same position as you. No big point, but something to consider.... include it in explanations or highlight an alternative, but it is a good idea to provide a context somewhere. What we consider our truth, the reasons we are where we are and restricted in what we do, doesn't wash with so many, whether our truth is lack of money or lack of opportunity, or the place we live and so on. I frame things with true explanations, but they are perhaps only part of the reason, and I am ok with that. Most are, and to me it is much better than complete fabrication lol Food for thought, nothing more intended.

With confusion there is a good balance to be had. In a song all you need is a couple of ambigious lines to promote debate about meaning, which is a good thing. If all the lines are ambiguous, people don't connect enough to be interested in debate and they dismiss your song. Or at least they are more likely to dismiss. :) our jobs, as curators of our artistic lives, is to try to get that balance right. Yet again we can ignore it, but the whole reality is you have to include the consequences when weighing up our artistic plan.

38 minutes ago, john said:

Most people who really get it are in the same position as you.

almost always seems to be the case :)   

and I realistically should(for the time being, again thanks for all this....the forum and  this thread in particular,  I will use) focus(yeah right) on trying to narrow down and actually finish/write a chunk of tunes that could go together as a cohesive EP or whatnot.   Just a bit overwhelming when there's 20+ years of half-written half thought out crap floating around that never saw the light of day....literally

deciding whats first.....hmmm because my favorites are almost never anyone elses hahah and I have no problem with that, but this is a marketing challenge ;)  If I was smart I would stop this other music challenge I'm in the middle of and try to do such things, but I'll never claim to be that, and a bit of chaos is good for me, ironically it keeps anxiety in check ;)  

18 minutes ago, Patchez said:

think I see, as well, ---- when I am in that flow, as discussed above in that Chaos Filter, ----  "both sides", what John is discussing, and the other projects, ---- all, seem to elevate together and ironically the quality of the contacts (people) as well are filtered to a greater degree toward a more productive direction

very true! and yeah that guy.....a bad case of mis-reading the "room" then once he got his read it was too late hahahah, bit of a melt-down,  I'm still chuckling about, but I still feel bad for him, as he had some valid points.  Was going to point him towards this website before he poofed :) 

I did find an old 35mm camera that is a beautiful beast ;) several lens options and everything....silly me when I bought that, and have since forgotten it was still around......."yeah this crappy digital stuff will never replace good old fashioned photography" hahahah I'd have to go about 60 miles to even find a place to develop film anymore.....not about to build a dark room ;) 

On 7/27/2020 at 1:10 PM, Patchez said:

HOWEVER, -- you made some great points, as you do, if one engages the "longitudinal" time asset ;) So, if you have any thoughts, feel free to let me know. 

Sorry, I have been ill for a few days. I am just getting back into the swing of things.

On 7/30/2020 at 4:10 AM, john said:

Sorry, I have been ill for a few days. I am just getting back into the swing of things.

Glad you're feeling better :) 

On 7/18/2020 at 11:20 AM, john said:

1) Your Bios - Yes, more than one.... so long bio and short bio (ideally)

Can you post up what you have? Don't write something new, yet... we will do that soon. I am just interested in what you have.

2) Your current photos - Please keep to 3 max that most represent what you have as your image

3) Your logo - If you have one

4) Your current album/EP artwork if you have any

1. bios

youtube: i upload live gaming, rap freestyles and live beats. if you enjoy watching videos on my channel please like subscribe and share so a wider audience can enjoy what you have my gaming name is radz my rap name is radarmc my production name is rbd😟

beatstars: I started out rapping when I was  younger. I became a producer later because a lot of beats I was finding didn't suit my style so I learnt how to make my own

cant wait to improve my bios

2. photosDSC_2285.thumb.jpg.1fef56b00280ba1fe9b19d4700473e8b.jpg20160701_162631.thumb.jpg.22aed78e0e25a8050c1055dd0be844fb.jpg20160711_161127.thumb.jpg.3b89eecfffbd98c3961b3cbb5f2b45f0.jpg

3. I have no logo

4. current album/EP artwork I have this id like to use for an album cover. the 3 above photos I would also use20160701_115349.thumb.jpg.97f2a51e3e2494f47c0bc710d0c3e73b.jpg

That's a mighty brave squirrel :D 

and pretty canyon pic! I recognize that place ;) 

• john changed the title to Music Marketing Challenge Series #1: Step 2 - Basic Assets

Archived