Your Ad Could Be Here

Favorite Artists By Decade

Hey Gang

Who are your favorite artists by decade? Can you post up one song (YouTube link) of an artist, 1 artist - 1 song, per decade from 1950’s on? 

• 1950’s
  • 1960’s
  • 1970’s
  • 1980’s
  • 1990’s
  • 2000’s
  • 2010’s

56 minutes ago, john said:

Hey Gang

Who are your favorite artists by decade? Can you post up one song (YouTube link) of an artist, 1 artist - 1 song, per decade from 1950’s on? 

• 1950’s
  • 1960’s
  • 1970’s
  • 1980’s
  • 1990’s
  • 2000’s
  • 2010’s

For me that is like asking an unanswerable question because I love so many artists in so many different  genres I would be forever trying to pick just one. It would be tough to pick a favorite artist from each genre because so many of them had different influences on their genre of choice. How do you choose between a great that sticks to the roots of his genre and one who is breaking new ground? How do you choose between the best voice, and the best song content wise, or the best composed and played?

1990 Nine Inch Nails

2000 Crystal Castles

2010 Luna

50s Buddy Holly

60s is tough.... but since he didn't make it to the 70s would have to be Hendrix

70s Buddy Guy

80s Pixies

90s The Flaming Lips

00's Modest Mouse

2010's 

I'll admit it, I ain't ashamed :D Lady Gaga

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to go with pure data 🧐

The artists I listen most to from each decade (songs from that decade only). The results are in.

1950's

No competition. 

1960s

Probably should have guessed. An easy winner...

1970s

No surprises in this decade either...

1980s

A strange fascination with 'Somewhere In Time' album probably has something to do this 😆

1990s

No joke, 4 real...Manics win the 90s

2000's

Looking at the previous 2 decades, this actually makes a bit of sense. 

2010s

Well....despite my eclectic taste, it looks like I primarily listen to chart music. No Parliament, Big Black, Mayhem or even Brokencyde? Nil hipster points for me  🤣 

Another set of interesting choices and some great tracks. You don't really say why those particular tracks made your list?

On 8/4/2020 at 6:42 AM, Cody said:

50s Buddy Holly

60s is tough.... but since he didn't make it to the 70s would have to be Hendrix

70s Buddy Guy

80s Pixies

90s The Flaming Lips

00's Modest Mouse

2010's 

I'll admit it, I ain't ashamed :D Lady Gaga

Thanks Cody. A closet Gaga, huh? lol

Why did those particular tracks make your list?

1 hour ago, john said:

Another set of interesting choices and some great tracks. You don't really say why those particular tracks made your list?

Cheers :)

Tend to pick tracks through instinct. Thinking about it:

Long Tall Sally - Spin the wheel. Pick a Little Richard song. Every track a winner.

Helter Skelter - In response to accusations of mere sentimentality, McCartney possibly invents Heavy Metal. Love the attitude of it, and I always hear a frustration and a release beyond the musical criticism. No, Mr Lennon...I am the f'n Walrus 😄

Rebel Rebel - Love the strut of the song and the straightforward authenticity of the lyrics. No hiding behind concepts, aliens or dystopia. Bowie says it all, drops the mic and leaves the glam rock stage. 

Wasted Years - Again, lyrics and beat. Rare for Maiden to write personal lyrics so it makes the song punch through a little more. Odd I chose this though,as I love the Somewhere In Time album for its use of synths. This is the only track on the album that doesn't use any.

Judge Yr'self - The myth of Richey Edwards encapsulated in 3mins of angry guitars and great lyrics. Anything to do with Judge Dredd doesn't hurt either (well, maybe except the film this was written for)

Thank You For The Venom - Could literally just pick a song at random from that album. But a bit like 'Rocket Queen' on Appetite For Destruction, its an often overlooked track.

It Never Ends - Hidden pop hooks, youthful exuberance, screaming vocals. As much as I enjoy their recent stuff, its always nice to return home.

7 hours ago, john said:

Thanks Cody. A closet Gaga, huh? lol

Why did those particular tracks make your list?

Yeah :D   I told everyone when I went to one of her shows, yeah my girlfriend made me buy the tickets (to my girlfriends surprise hahah, good sport, she just went with it)

as far as those tracks in particular, no real reason, and aren't even my favorites by them......just felt like they were pretty encompassing of what I appreciated about each band/artist....I just randomly picked that 90's Flaming Lips song, any of them from that decade would of worked, I couldn't even narrow it down to that album"In a Priest Driven Ambulance" or "Clouds Taste Metallic"

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/18/2020 at 9:09 AM, Branden said:

No competition. 

Was a video I hadn't seen.........the gasps from that crowd really made me laugh way more than it should have! Security!!!!!

On 9/3/2020 at 2:53 AM, Cody said:

Was a video I hadn't seen.........the gasps from that crowd really made me laugh way more than it should have! Security!!!!!

Haha, I must only have eyes for Little Richard...never really noticed the crowd before.

Now I'm reminded of a short lived night I had on some Thai beach. The very same awkward hand claps and nodding heads from rich tourists towards the house band *cringe*  

The more things change 😄

3 hours ago, Branden said:

Haha, I must only have eyes for Little Richard...never really noticed the crowd before.

Now I'm reminded of a short lived night I had on some Thai beach. The very same awkward hand claps and nodding heads from rich tourists towards the house band *cringe*  

The more things change 😄

One of my favorite musical experiences was in a subway station where I just got enthralled by this old Jamaican guy absolutely killing it with a ratty old ratty acoustic guitar with an even rattier soundhole pickup in it,  and (to me) obviously free-style singing.  I gave him a dollar he unplugged his guitar and gave me his cord(I had a gig-bag on my shoulder) we proceeded to both play and he kept going with his freestyle absolutely making fun of everyone in their suits just walking by and tossing money without even a glance,  and fun of me being a white boy with some reggae licks(probably to his surprise, hahaha, wish I'd of had time to tell him the story of getting pulled over while driving and playing guitar I couldn't help it when Marley was playing and my acoustic was just staring at me in the passenger seat hahah)  in an accent so think I'm sure very few caught it hahah, then he was even nice enough to split his take with me when I had to leave to catch the a train.  It was more than my pleasure just to riff with him for 30mins? 3hrs? I dunno?,  but I'm broke so of course I accepted hahah.  

I knew I had written that somewhere, had to go track it down, I called it a "song" or fodder for a later one.... on a site that resets itself every year, so hey TLDR but whatever floats your boat.  

Terrible Night such as they sometimes happen....jacked, no big deal, not the first, won't be the last, some folks just have no morals it can't be helped. Flash to morning, on the train lady screaming, reading from a pamphlet. I ignore her...I'm not one to turn down some good old fashioned street wisdom, but for one she is going it about it all wrong  if she feels like she has something important to say, and if she can't figure that out she has nothing important to say to me. Not to mention the fact she looked super duper extra off the meds hump your leg crazy, not just a reasonably  whacky.
I rarely, if ever talk politics or religion, and then we need to be sharing a bottle or four of whiskey and it usually ends bloody and we're friends for life. It's a lovely experience, but very taxing. 10-15mins later Someone starts yelling at this lady, I pulled out an earpiece and overhear, "You've had your freedom of speech now please shut the f*ck up and let us pursue our happiness." I lost it and almost pissed myself and unintentionally shout out loud,  "this man for president, election over."

Get off the train, waiting for the next hear some sweet sweet reggae tossed him a dollar he tossed me a cord. I livlied up hisself and we took the train to babylon while in an accent so thick he had something to say about everyone that walked by I barely contained my laughter. Hourish or so later after stirring his pot he split his with me and to misquote the late Kurt Vonnegut's uncle Alex, "If this ain't nice, I don't know what is."

ended up being a lovely day.....it's not me that's manic depressive its this f*cked up life hahaha, but that's not really here nor there.

Sounds like a great time (the impromptu jam session that is, not the train lady)

'You've had your freedom of speech now please shut the f*ck up and let us pursue our happiness." - great quote haha. It's always those with the least to say that shout the most  😄

I've busked once. With a friend. Heavily under the influence. Singing the same three Christmas songs. With a pack of toy instruments. Bought from the shop for £1. Back when £1 was a kings ransom.

Put it this way....it was a poor investment haha

4 hours ago, fasstrack said:

You've lived an interesting life, man...

Too interesting most of the time, kind of a big reason why I've actually personally enjoyed this quarantine time, sounds terrible to say, I mean yeah I feel horrible for all the deaths and chaos(and it has very personally effected me), and sad even more so for all the new homeless people America is about to have, but even with the world on fire, been pretty peaceful from my perspective its sad to say :) 

Archived