Your Ad Could Be Here

The Nature Of Community

john

What It Takes To Make Community  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What do you hope to get from an online music community?

• Friendship
    • Collaborators
    • Knowledge
    • Ideas and Suggestions
    • Belonging
  2. 2. What more are you willing to give/invest to get the community you want?

• Nothing
    • More Posts
    • Better Posts
    • My Knowledge and Experience
    • My Time
    • My Effort
    • Money
    • Something Else
  3. 3. What skills/attributes do you hope for from staff?

• Fair
    • Knowledgable On Topic
    • Knowledgable About Site / Site Features
    • Knows Site Rules
    • Patient
    • Encouraging
    • Good Communication Skills
    • Friendly
    • Tolerant
    • Decisive
    • Flexible
  4. 4. What skills/attributes do you hope for from fellow members?

• Knowledge About My Topics / Answers To My Questions
    • Friendly
    • Good Communication Skills
    • Patient
    • Tolerant
    • Good Sense Of Humor
    • Talented Songwriter
    • Talented Musician
    • Talented Producer
    • Passionate
  5. 5. If it meant getting better quality answers to your questions, would you be willing to put more effort into your own answers?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  6. 6. If it meant getting more answers to your posts, would you be willing to post here more often?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe
  7. 7. What changes would you make to improve the Songstuff Community?

• More People
    • More Posts
    • Better Posts
    • More Member Music
    • More Non-Member Music
    • More Staff
    • Better Staff
    • Something Else
    • Nothing
    • Nothing. It Doesn’t Need Improved
  8. 8. Do you feel that you have the power to improve the Songstuff Community?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

Hey Gang

We all have our own idea about what an online community is. I thought it would be useful to discuss what community means to you as an writer/artist/musician.

To get started, please answer the poll questions. If you think an answer needs more detail, please add a reply. Your opinion really matters.

Cheers

John

Hi John,

I think you run it well right now. I would love to see more of the "Lurkers" join and add their comments etc. Also I would love to see more members commenting on others posts. But you can wish in one hand and... There are lots of posts I don't comment on because I just don't know enough about DAW's , mixing, editing, marketing etc. I try to comment everywhere I believe I have the experience to help, or even an attaboy when that's what I think.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Patchez said:

What John W.S. says is interesting. Immediately come to mind is, "careful what you wish for". 

I know there are trolls out there, having dealt with more than a few in my time, but John has a way of dealing with them when they show up, so I'll still be wishing.

1 hour ago, Patchez said:

You might have to explain what you mean, since to me it's full of implication, -- but of what I am not clear. I could be for me, to not comment, on, about wishing for commenters? Now, that would be ironic :) (rhetorical, but as you prefer).

I never take things as a negative, unless they are clearly negative. My definition of trolls, are people who only post clearly negative comments. It's not about language, having lived in several countries where English is not their language, I am very patient and go to great lengths to understand the meaning and real intent of what is being said. Kind of like an Englishman listening to an American speak.

What it came across to me as, was you saying maybe I should not wish for more members and more comments here, because we might end up with a lot more negative comments/people. Anyway, nothing negative meant, only that I'll take a chance and let the slings and arrows (LOL), fly.

• Like 1

So I take it that the site it getting an overhaul and that's the reason the Critique section is not accessible?

I am glad to see you are trying to improve the site and hopefully attract and keep new members. One thing I would like to say is that I've always been treated with respect here whether it be in the music I submit for review or comments I make on others material and that to me it a very important part of this place. I've always tried to be encouraging in my posts and offer suggestions in a positive a supportive manner, especially to those who may be just starting out.  I would definitely like to see this place continue, if not grow and flourish, and be around for a long time. 

• Like 5

Hi Moptop,

Thanks for the kind words. 🙂  Just trying to streamline some areas. Sharing the link for the Songs critique area. We have been working reaally hard with some new features. Some pretty exciting things ahead.  Do you get our newsletter?  If you chose not to in the past, but you would like to receive it, check your email options in your profile. 

We'll be using the newsletter to introduce the new things we are doing and cool things coming up.  

:)

Peggy

2 hours ago, moptop said:

So I take it that the site it getting an overhaul and that's the reason the Critique section is not accessible?

https://forums.songstuff.com/forum/218-song-critique/

• Thanks 1

I've benefited and been blessedly helped, met a lot of great people with online communities in the past, also been so frustratingly ostracized from some closed minded tight knit groups as well.  Everyone always wanting to be right and so surrounding themselves with people who only think/feel the same way they do. 

IMO it takes all kinds to make an especially music, and especially online community be of any benefit to anyone, unless you are just reaching out for some kind of contact/communication, and hey it takes all kinds :)   I've not been here very long, but seems like a great place, keep up the great work @john and others ;) 

17 minutes ago, Peggy said:

Do you get our newsletter?  If you chose not to in the past, but you would like to receive it, check your email options in your profile. 

We'll be using the newsletter to introduce the new things we are doing and cool things coming up.  

:)

Thanks I think I did subscribe, but probably just goes to my spam :) 

Edited by Cody
  • Like 2

On 8/9/2020 at 3:45 AM, Cody said:

Thanks I think I did subscribe, but probably just goes to my spam

To stop that happening, just drag one our notification messages into your Primary folder and it will stop spam filtering our messages. Some goes for if it is any other folder than primary (such as promotion etc), just drag to primary and done!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

There’s a lot there I can agree with @Patchez

16 hours ago, Patchez said:

A "simple" first try, like it or not, is ---- Amazon self publish. Some will krappe on that, look for it.

You can also sell music via Amazon, even without going through an online music distributor:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/seller-account/mm-product-page.html?topic=200354370

I know music sales (as a product on it’s own) is no longer really viable commercially but there are scenarios where it is still desirable.

As for the issue with editable quotes, if you click in the top right of the quote, it will take the reader to the original post where the quote was taken from.

The only scenario there is a problem, is where for some reason the original post has been edited or deleted. Most often that is not the case, although some members are in the habit of deleting their posts. I guess for most scenarios it wouldn’t be an issue unless either the person quoting is acting maliciously trying to make it seem as though the author of the quoted post was saying something they didn’t, or the scenario where the author of the original post is saying things and then deleting or altering their posts to cover their trail. I have seen both happen (the former most common amongst spammers trying to hide links to get by moderators, the latter can be innocent but It is also conducted by malicious posters trying to cause trouble on forums by misrepresenting their actions, or members trying to cover abusive behaviour or other behaviour that is against the rules). For malicious posters it tends to be one of several tell-tale behaviours. Luckily staff have a variety of options to deal with these scenarios when such posters are active on their boards. 

It is always helpful if members report suspected malicious activity.

16 hours ago, Patchez said:

-- Onlineguage, it does a body good. And, always remember, if offended, is that just who you are, or is it always the other guy and what s/he is? But I'm just an asshat that talks too much! blah blah blah blah ;) 

Or can always just be edited all in good fun :D

Another thing that is(in my experience) detrimental to any community is when the group-think almost always inevitably kicks in and rules the day.  I mean, kind of going back to the "music rules" thread a little bit, but if there ever is going to be innovation or progress made in any aspect, not even just musically... it can't be by a bunch of same-thinking/doing people all trying to outdo each other doing/thinking the same thing.    I mean there's really nothing left to be gained/learned at that point, other than hurt feelings and shunning of anyone who is outside the "normal"  .....I guess I'm just saying open-mindedness and not being offended by any little thing just because you don't like or agree with it... is key for me.   I've always liked @Patchez analogy of just more used car dealers trying to sell each other used cars.  

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Cody said:

Or can always just be edited all in good fun :D

Another thing that is(in my experience) detrimental to any community is when the group-think almost always inevitably kicks in and rules the day.  I mean, kind of going back to the "music rules" thread a little bit, but if there ever is going to be innovation or progress made in any aspect, not even just musically... it can't be by a bunch of same-thinking/doing people all trying to outdo each other doing/thinking the same thing.    I mean there's really nothing left to be gained/learned at that point, other than hurt feelings and shunning of anyone who is outside the "normal"  .....I guess I'm just saying open-mindedness and not being offended by any little thing just because you don't like or agree with it... is key for me.   I've always liked @Patchez analogy of just more used car dealers trying to sell each other used cars.  

It’s the old gene pool scenario. Ultimately the ability to survive comes from a diversity of ideas. It is not the adopting of ideas that gives strength, but giving ideas space to exist and room to grow. That way new ideas take root and current ones can spawn variations and all have room and time to develop their ultimately best versions for any number of scenarios... this all makes for choice. We can all use those ideas, knowing what they are making our choices likely to be better, stronger and us overall as more adaptive and more resilient. :)

• Like 1

@fasstrack all stuff I know next to nothing about, but am always willing to learn/do some critical thought digging into

2 hours ago, fasstrack said:

1. take my phone calls and not get rid of me in half a minute when there are things to discuss, and 2. do what ASCAP won't (for me, anyway), which is anything at all...

Good luck! :D If it don't make money it don't make sense........and too many with only that way of thinking hold too much sway and to be frank aren't smart enough to see what can/could/does make money.  I'm a fast reader and no instruments withing reach right now to sidetrack me too bad, I'll get read up/ask around, might stumble onto something you don't already know, or just haven't had the chance to look into ;) 

pm'd ya fasty, but for anyone else reading this far and caring one way or the other............quick asking around and was recommended, by someone who would only have MY best interests in mind(lucky me....believe me I know) he recommended CISAC an organization he's dealt with solely after ditching ASCAP and BMI, for same reasons @fasstrack has voiced his issues about.  He said they've been swell, as far as they can be anyway.  

So interested if anyone else has had any dealings with them in particular.  

• 1 month later...
26 minutes ago, fasstrack said:

I already did the poll---just want to reach out to John and all the staff and say this joint is way improved from when I first rolled up.

And I know further betterments are just down the road...

Thanks Joel! Thanks for sticking with us. Change was necessary and I don't regret it. Not one bit. :)

• Like 2