Your Ad Could Be Here

Rank / Role Badges

Hey Gang

To help members realise the interests and roles of members I thought badges might be a nice addition. We did use badges once before and they are great visual aids.

In addition to badges the idea would be to add the ability of members to apply to be in groups, like songwriting,  and if you are in several groups these would be displayed on your profile... at least that is the aim.

This is in part to help support the mentor program we are working on just now.

So I have been putting together some unique badges. The lyrics one is too light a background, I know... what do you think of them?

Musician.pngGuitarist.pngManager.pngSinger.pngLyricist.pngSongwriter.pngProducer.pngArtist.pngSubscriber.pngIntern.pngAdmin.pngModerator.pngMember.pngMentor.pngSite Crew.png

10 hours ago, Patchez said:

---- Seriously though, already mentioned: if the "noob" badge is to be assigned to noobs, kept, then, from what I've observed, if anyone can understand me?, -- that badge needs to remain for a Period of Time, not Postings # (as on eBay, they then post krapolla within 10 mins, to get "in").

-- I see mentor program.
However, you've been engaging that with Staff, -- it's news to me. Just learned it now in reading this. And, I guess one could infer from things said by me, if even not agreed with, I think we are all "Moderators", if not what a Mentor is?, as I mean it.
(Not being fully understood, I fully understand ;) Uno?) 

I may not be the only one, "hard to understand" and need to communicate with over time to properly learn to do so. That may be a Root element? Well, that's just me, looking in the mirror to then change the world, or mine, of it. If you seek a cultural process change, -- old paradigms have to be carefully considered. Why did that ever go away? Who survived and why? What was that process? Or folks returning?

I don’t know what you mean regarding engaging with staff, about what?

Mentoring

Regarding mentoring I posted my comment on chat and then spoke briefly to an interested member, that’s all. That said I intend to talk to staff about mentoring at our next meeting.

I see mentoring as primarily an educational role where experienced members take others under their wing. That could relate to skills like songwriting or music marketing, but it can also relate to learning about our community, where things are, how things work, to ease integration.

Moderation

Everyone is not a moderator. A moderator is a specific role. Everyone can make something to eat. Not everyone is a chef or professional cook.

Community members can certainly make a huge difference helping define community standards and help to encourage adherence to those standards. Members help keep a community on track, but their primary role is not that of a moderator. This has been done on Songstuff before regarding number of reviews performed before posting a work to be reviewed. In that regard members helped “correct” members who Ignored requirement to critique so many before posting, and the critiques performed to works posted ratio. All members are involved in informal moderation like that, but it doesn’t reduce the need for dedicated moderators. The same occurs in real world communities.

Moderators also help to protect sites from the legal consequences of member actions. The world is now pushing increasingly towards sites policing themselves more using dedicated moderators, not less.

Change

• Clarity is certainly something to strive for.
  • Actuality lags intent and that we address using process to evolve in a direction.
  • Change takes time and determination to implement.
  • Evolution is constant.

:)

• Editors

As if on sides? My friend, I dunno what you're talking about. I'm simply following a conversation on a topic. I appreciate John bringing clarity to the approach and decisions for this community every single day. I merely saw a well thought out post on my unread content and liked it and wasn't aware anybody else was liking it too. (should I be? Lmao) 

Let's not get further misunderstood for misunderstanding a misunderstanding as you suspected, @Patchez.  I agree with you, there's always music to get to. 

Good day to ya gentlemen. :)

16 hours ago, Patchez said:

I don't think this conversaiton is for me. It looked like a,  "what do you think" post? But from the above, -- it's not that. 

My comments are not meant to water this idea down, -- that is a misunderstanding.

Moreover, to see Mahesh and Peggy then "like" as if on sides?, is interesting.

(On that note, the "confused" icon since not used and controversial could be better utiliesed as "Read" ack, -- which may be what was intended, -- as I do too. Perception, in context with so much explanation required, is everything, -- it seems. No equity in prior comments is appears.) 

If we are not all here to Mentor, or otherwise, "Moderate" each other, -- no, will be banned that word from my vocab here going forward... anyway, if not here to "Mentor" each other and leave all else to, "not my yob man..." I'm here for "me" and "my" stuff well, then, that is what the inmates will see, say and do. They won't micro-process the nuances of meaning. 

Moreover, "ranking" or badging may just have the unitended consequences of further -- segregation(s). (See any evidence of elitisms? Maybe not.) 

I am convinced, as happens with humanbeings, I am not being understood for what I mean. But, that's okay. That's to be expected with dealing with people online/onlilneguage from different countries/cultures and ways of "hearing" anglesh. 

-- John, do as you like. Indeed. 

However, if had badges previously, and worked so well, -- why then removed or evloved... (rhetorical). 

Not to make to fine a point on this, nontheless, -- if all don't "see" new folks ("noobs", per SS label), and ID them quickly and for a period of time, well, then, -- there you go. They won't be seen, nor group culture mentored, sustainbly. And, the eBay paradigm I cite of sock puppet to sock puppet with glorious ratings and reviews, to then get to "bid", (status?), -- so to speak -- is common. Does it happen here? Yes, openly even :)  and suggested by a staff person if remember correctly, -- on what to do, -- Mentoring. Interesting how that worked out. A one-off thing? (rhetorical)

So, again, this is not a conversation for me; and see that well. I agree with @Cody 's comment in the other thread, ("The Nature of Community", -- same context? time frame? -- bad inferance on my part, indeed, -- appologies!). And, let that just be mine as well, here. (I may be guilty of threading an overall idea as all interrelated. I'll stop that!) 

-- Cheers! 

(Back to my proper place, -- music.) 

I will be brief. You intone conspiracy where there is none.

I posted to get feedback on the badges I had created. I mentioned mentoring as part of my motivation (as you can see in my OP).

About 30% of your now deleted first reply is quoted.

You raised moderation. I replied. Was i wrong to do so?

Sides? Really? Curious. Is this how you use the like system? I wouldn't have thought so.

Everything in life is not a conspiracy.

As you say, back to the music. :)

:backtotopic: and I only mean that in terms of my original intended topic. Mentoring and moderating can and should still be debated, though I would prefer within their own dedicated topics. :) Likewise the noob debate Patchez, though again I would like to talk it through thoroughly in it's own topic. It makes it much easier to come back and find stuff later.

To have or not have rank/skill icons is a good question. It certainly isn't set in stone. There are potential downsides, if members do think of them as being us and them or don't like labels of any kind. From another perspective they are very helpful especially for new members on getting a handle on who is who and what they are interested in, or their involvement with the community. They can also be used for attainment levels

All that aside, I would also love to know what you guys think of the badges themselves. Do you like or dislike any of them? Are there missing badges? Redundant badges?

john   i  think  the  badges   are  a  good  idea   for  reasons  that  you think  of  at  the moment  and   for   reasons  that  will show  them  selves  in  the  future  . songstuff    and  its  members  will evolve   as  time  goes  by  . my  vision  of   songsuff  is  that  it  will  act  like  a sort of   a  record  company  . i   have  been  working  on  a  song  for  the  hitsongchallenge     which   has  taken   a lot  longer  with  the  covid   thing  to  get  it  done  . at  the  moment  waiting   for  a local   recording  studio to  do  a  demo  of  the  song . hopefully  the  studio will open  soon  to record  it  so  the  rest of  the  team can  work  on  it  . after  that   it  will  be  up  to  songstuff  to  promote it  and if  successfully  .thats  when   songstuff  should  go in  to  overdrive  how  to  keep  the momentum  up  with  getting  good  songs  out  there .i  consider  thats  when  the  fun  starts

Hi John,

Badges are a fine idea, it lets people know right away what you do, and don't do, and how much you are involved with the site. The only problem I might see is getting everyone to say what things they do, and don't. Like on profile pages.

25 minutes ago, John W Selleck said:

Hi John,

Badges are a fine idea, it lets people know right away what you do, and don't do, and how much you are involved with the site. The only problem I might see is getting everyone to say what things they do, and don't. Like on profile pages.

I am still looking at exactly how it will work. As a mentor you would have to indicate what you are a mentor for. That information I am looking at displaying centrally in an index of mentors. You might also display it on your profile. Other members and you might also indicate their interests.

I set your badge as a test. I will remove it until we have all gone through the possibilities and decided the best set up. :)

Archived