Your Ad Could Be Here

What are you drinking?

I have never even tried Japanese Whiskey. No prejudice. Partly availability and partly living in Scotland we have so much Whisky you could drink for years and not have all of what is out there. Then there is Irish Whiskey.

What’s Suntory Toki like as a whiskey?

I will grab a pic of my current tipple. I don’t tend to drink a single bottle though. I have several bottles and then have a “wee nip” of what I feel like at that point.

4 hours ago, john said:

I have never even tried Japanese Whiskey. No prejudice. Partly availability and partly living in Scotland we have so much Whisky you could drink for years and not have all of what is out there. Then there is Irish Whiskey.

What’s Suntory Toki like as a whiskey?

I will grab a pic of my current tipple. I don’t tend to drink a single bottle though. I have several bottles and then have a “wee nip” of what I feel like at that point.

People always compare Japanese whiskey to Scotch, but I'd say this is closer to Irish than Scotch based on the bottles I've tried. 

This reminds of a less complex but smoother Red Breast. They both have that grassy, hay thing going on, but this finishes with more fruit. 

I hear you about the location thing. I live in Indiana and being one state away from Kentucky means we have access to literally every Bourbon there is. I'm still an Old Forester adherent myself. 

But Bourbon is very flavor heavy and it's nice to branch out into more subtle juices. Except for Laphroaig, there's nothing subtle there. 😂😂😂

3 hours ago, Steve Mueske said:

My favorite Scotch is Macallen. I'm one of the beer buyers for our liquor store. I love beer, particularly IPAs and double IPAs. We have the 5th largest concentration of craft breweries in the country so very lucky in that regard. For bourbons, my favorite is Angel's Envy. We just got in a ghost pepper tequila by El Nivel, which is pretty amazing.

I still got to give Four Roses a go, but I definitely need to add an older Macallen to the list. 

4 hours ago, Steve Mueske said:

Four Roses is pretty good for the price. Most people I know refer to that as a solid entry-level bourbon. I'm assuming you're talking about the small batch? I've only sampled the regular one.

Yeah, the small batch is what was recommended so that's the one I'm going to go with. 

I prefer bourbons usually myself.  W.L. Weller being probably my favorite of the store-bought variety.  I tend to enjoy wheat based ones over rye.  As far as whisky I'm not picky and actually prefer a lot of the cheap ones.  @john Glinfiddich is the only one of those I've ever even seen and tried before.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cody said:

I prefer bourbons usually myself.  W.L. Weller being probably my favorite of the store-bought variety.  I tend to enjoy wheat based ones over rye.  As far as whisky I'm not picky and actually prefer a lot of the cheap ones.  @john Glinfiddich is the only one of those I've ever even seen and tried before.  

I like Bourbons as well. Old Forester is my go to juice. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, geographyhorse said:

I like Bourbons as well. Old Forester is my go to juice. 

Old Forester is a good one! 

I'm looking for the picture now because I know I took one.  Saw a some odd year anniversary bottle of Jose Cuervo at the liquor store once that was shaped like a guitar and was going for roughly 5,000 dollars.  

edit: I can't find it, and now it's going to bother me I just saw  the picture a few weeks ago.  and even online image wise all I can find is a 250th anniversary rolling stone one that came in a guitar case........that wasn't it.  

Edited by Cody
  • Like 1