Your Ad Could Be Here

What Microphones Are You Using?

CDA76887-0C85-40F3-974E-F4B0B041351B.jpeg

Hi

What microphones do you use?

I use a Rode NT2, a Shure SM7B, SM58, and 517SB (Unidyne B).

I use the NT2 and SM7B for vocals and acoustic instruments. The SM58 I use with my RC-505 Loopstation, and the 517SB I use with my guitar amp, though usually these days I tend to DI my electric guitar via my GT-10 and often then use an amp sim.

I like the sound I get for my acoustic guitar using my NT2 pointed between fret 12-14, but I am planning on getting a Lewitt LCT 140 Air, small diaphragm mic to record pointed at the lower front quarter of the guitar. It will be great for a balanced/pop tone on my 12 string and standard 6 string, but I doubt it will work in that position on my Martin DCX1E as it is a cut away. An experiment waiting to happen! Either way the LCT 140 Air will also sound great in the fret 12-14 area too.

So what do you use and what do you use them for?

Cheers

John

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • Editors

I just have my Sennheiser e835 with me to record as far as home stuff is concerned. I do prefer it over the SM58 or SM57 when it comes to capturing vocals.

As for my studio work where I'd book hours, I generally ask for the Shure SM7B (which was also the microphone used for Accept) or the Rode NT1 if a condenser is preferred for the track. I'll be honest, I haven't explored/experimented with many mics that are out there which I hope to do with years to come. 

:) 

• Like 2

I use a Sterling ST55 with a shock mount and pop filter in the studio. It's mostly used as a vocal mic.  It's been a good mic over the years. 

Sterling_ST55_shock.png

• Like 1

When I commenced recording "The Flat White Album" in 2019, I discovered my existing 10+ year old M-Audio Luna condenser mic had developed a weird regular ‘thump’ in the signal for which I could find no reason or solution.

I forked out for a new good but reasonably priced replacement kit ... the famous Rode NT1 condenser microphone (which I was surprised to find is made in Australia!) which included a Rode SMR Rycote Lyre shock mount with integrated pop filter. Approx AUD$250.

The mount’s clamp mechanism is excellent, requiring minimum force to stop the unit slowly sagging.

The beauty of this mic is that it has a tightly-shaped pickup area to the front and so is less sensitive to low ambient noise such as room reverb bouncing off all the walls, the computer fan, rain, crickets, birds, dogs panting, etc..

I always play my 12-string guitar sitting down and record it concurrently via this mic and also via DI into my 2-input Focusrite Scarlett 2i4.  The two channels are therefore synchronised (with no audible phase issues that I can hear), and I EQ them slightly differently and balance them across the stereo stage to help make for a 'bigger' sound mix.

I then stand and record my vocals through the mic.

Greg

(Australia)

image.png.17d07ee629a7f8f25238791fd9511af6.png

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I’ve just ordered a pair of Rode NT55 microphones, mainly for recording my acoustic guitar. Otherwise I have only added two Lavelier lapel mount microphones and the Rode VideoMicro on camera microphone.

• Editors

I currently use a Shure SM7B in my studio set up. Still a mic that I find very comfortable and happy recording with live or studio. Also, I still use the Sennheiser e835 for my vocals although my sound engineer brings his e935 now instead which I’m happy with.

Since 2020, I have been using the AT2035 (Audio-Technica) and I find the quality to be perfect for what I need as an acoustic player and singer-songwriter! And it has only improved since I started using it with my recently-purchased PreSonus AudioBox iOne (a mighty fine tool for folks like me, if I do say so myself 👍)

• Noob

The idea of using the Lewitt LCT 140 Air for recording your acoustic guitar sounded promising. Have you had the chance to experiment with it and see how it complements your existing microphones?

Also, if you wanna try something new, check out ASMR Microphones. ASMR recording has gained even more popularity in recent years, and new microphone models may have emerged since our last conversation.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2021 at 3:16 AM, john said:

CDA76887-0C85-40F3-974E-F4B0B041351B.jpeg

Hi

What microphones do you use?

I use a Rode NT2, a Shure SM7B, SM58, and 517SB (Unidyne B).

I use the NT2 and SM7B for vocals and acoustic instruments. The SM58 I use with my RC-505 Loopstation, and the 517SB I use with my guitar amp, though usually these days I tend to DI my electric guitar via my GT-10 and often then use an amp sim.

I like the sound I get for my acoustic guitar using my NT2 pointed between fret 12-14, but I am planning on getting a Lewitt LCT 140 Air, small diaphragm mic to record pointed at the lower front quarter of the guitar. It will be great for a balanced/pop tone on my 12 string and standard 6 string, but I doubt it will work in that position on my Martin DCX1E as it is a cut away. An experiment waiting to happen! Either way the LCT 140 Air will also sound great in the fret 12-14 area too.

So what do you use and what do you use them for?

Cheers

John

that's an excellent choice.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

AT2050

2 hours ago, El Diablo Songwriter said:

AT2050

What do you think of it? What are you using it for?

4 hours ago, john said:

What do you think of it? What are you using it for?

I honestly can't compare it to only what I've used.  I only have used the at2020 and at2050.  I just love the at2050 more than the at2020 due to the clarity and low end pickup.

I guess if a microphone company had "inexpensive rentals" I could try out other microphones to buy.

I have only used it for singing.