Your Ad Could Be Here

New Music Friday #11

Hi, it's that time of the week again. This is the thread for posting anything in progress, at any stage of development, a supportive salon for everyone to listen to each other's work. Loops, snippets, beats, ideas, refrains, solo instruments, sketches whatever you feel like.

Looking forward to hearing what you've been up to! I'll be back later to post and listen. Happy Friday!

Edited by Steve Mueske

I sort of feel like this is a waste of time. If you have ideas, let me know. I'm listening.

Okay, so here's the deal. I really don't want to anger anybody. I feel a strong need TO WOODSHED. But, I feel like I committed to this. You know. & this is the argument. I am willing to go either way. I love this space. Do you? If not, I'm going to hole up for a year. Just throwing this out there.

@Popthree @john @Mahesh

I need your input. I'm loving the increased activity in the forum. What do I do?

@VoiceEx

I will watch for three days, will engage all conversation.

If there is anything I have learned about myself with the passing of time it is I am a seasonal person. That season is not Winter for productivity.

I follow the cycle of nature. I bloom with the flowers in Spring and fade with the leaves in Fall.

December and January it's everything I can do to drag myself to the basement to work out. If I do make it to my studio I usually play improvisations or pull out Top 40 chestnuts from my childhood to practice spontaneous playing. I don't think anyone really wants to hear that.

• Like 1

I literally want to hear anything.

Hey Steve, I love new music Fridays. For my own music life just seems to have conspired. I have been writing, not recording, and trying to clear my feet. I am hoping this week will see a change for me. I know Mahesh intends taking part and I think Peggy might. It would be a shame if this fell by the wayside. We have promoted it, but will promote it further.

I think one thing that might help would be actively promoting participation in NMF through the week. I’ll also add an Ad or two into general rotation to see if that helps

• Like 1

I'm going to post something in two hours. We'll see what happens. I'm riddled with doubt too. I want this to be both a safe space and motivation.

11 minutes ago, Steve Mueske said:

literally want to hear anything.

I don't want to hear me right now. This is my season for planning not playing. 

I have 3 numbers planned for releasing this Spring but I'm too moody and lackadaisical right now for a decent performance. I'd rather watch movies or binge watch TV series with my wife. Sad but true... This time next month will probably be different.

Cheers and good luck!

Edited by Clay Anderson Johnson

51 minutes ago, john said:

Hey Steve, I love new music Fridays. For my own music life just seems to have conspired. I have been writing, not recording, and trying to clear my feet. I am hoping this week will see a change for me. I know Mahesh intends taking part and I think Peggy might. It would be a shame if this fell by the wayside. We have promoted it, but will promote it further.

I think one thing that might help would be actively promoting participation in NMF through the week. I’ll also add an Ad or two into general rotation to see if that helps

I didn't see your post earlier. TY!

• Like 1

Here's my entry for this week.

Edited by Steve Mueske

No need to thank me!

I think I said at the outset, it takes a while to get new initiatives to take off. It’s not this idea, really. In part it’s where the forums are at (been slow but beginning to pick up again), modern motivations, and it simply being new. It takes time for people to be aware and then to switch on to it. I think it will naturally take off as the forums get busier as long as we keep it going and we keep promoting it.

I created a topic about community activity that explains what we can all do to help improve our community. Luckily the solution is pretty simple!

25 minutes ago, VoiceEx said:

For you, yes. But like you said, most people here are very uptight, and I think that many musicians simply don't care about other peoples work. As sad as that is. And what happens when MNF becomes just a cycle of the same 4-5 people? its not a competition in the sense of "fighting for attention", but rather, I think that for this event to really become its own thing, it needs something to make it really stand out.

I am happy sharing either. If anything I am more inclined to post incomplete works as I would prefer to release complete works via a release process, with a big splash.

The issue has been 3 weeks of lack of studio time. That should change this week.

53 minutes ago, VoiceEx said:

most people here are very uptight, and I think that many musicians simply don't care about other peoples work.

I agree with the first part of the statement. However I think many people here do care about other people's music.

I have averaged posting one piece per month since I joined. I have critiqued many more than that.

Everything I have ever written about another members work was positive and constructive. I have never deliberately torn down anyone's work in any forum. It is much more satisfying to build than to destroy.

I have found competition to be isolating and self defeating. Real growth comes from building community.

• Like 3

Absolutely Clay. What we do shapes the community we build.

Better to inspire than to scare.

Inspired people usually move forwards. Scared people often run away.
    Better to encourage than to punish.

Encouraged people grow confidence and constructive determination. Punished people grow anger and destructive determination at best, timidity and fear at worst.

Better to participate than to watch from the sidelines.

Participate to build, to shape changes, in yourself, in others, in the community. Watch to take some gains from observation, but do nothing to contribute to community strength, resilience or it’s collective knowledge.

Better to be active and interested, than inactive and disinterested.

The former builds, the latter destroys

Now I’m going to listen to some bonanza lunchbox :)

Liking idea 1.15.22. Some pieces you can just so visualise along with, imagining them being used in a movie or tv series. This is one of those for me. Sure there are bits I might change or tweak, but it’s an interesting starting point. I’d love to hear someone singing some words with it!

2 minutes ago, Popthree said:

thanks. i too would like to hear some words with it, but thus far, i have not been able to produce anything.  so it's an instrumental for now.

Well, please give me a bump if you do add some :)

Lot of activity since I crashed last night. I have to work today (another 11.5 hr shift), but am liking forward to checking in later. @Popthree I will listen to your pieces tonight.

Sorry, I had the sads yesterday.

• Like 1