Your Ad Could Be Here

What season inspires you most?

It's beginning to feel like Fall here, and I always get most creative when the leaves turn color.

Is there a particular season when you feel most inspired?  Spring, Summer, Winter, Fall?

Edited by Alicatt
grammar
  • Like 2

Hey Alicatt

I love Fall/Autumn but my favorite season has to be spring. The season of hope and new beginnings. I love the light at that time of year. Winter is a time of reflection, past events etc. So spring comes like a breath of fresh air, like the lifting of a veil. It’s a time of firsts of new things. 

It’s also a time I begin to enjoy being outside in the elements. I love creating outside, sitting with a guitar. Awesome.

Cheers

John

• Like 2

Hi Alicatt,

It's hard to say whether I feel most inspired to write in a particular season, but on a personal level my favourite season is autumn. I was born in October, so maybe that plays a role. 😉 I love the colours and the changes, and the feeling of preparing to go into a kind of hibernation, introspection.  Many of my lyrics are reflective in nature, so perhaps they've emanated from that state of hibernation, so to speak. 

Donna

Edited by DonnaMarilyn
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, DonnaMarilyn said:

Hi Alicatt,

It's hard to say whether I feel most inspired to write in a particular season, but on a personal level my favourite season is autumn. I was born in October, so maybe that plays a role. 😉 I love the colours and the changes, and the feeling of preparing to go into a kind of hibernation, introspection.  Many of my lyrics are reflective in nature, so perhaps they've emanated from that state of hibernation, so to speak. 

Donna

Yes! There's reflection in the Fall, but also and preparation for Winter. It's a creative time for me too!

• Like 1

Hi @Alicatt!

My approach to songwriting and storytelling through music is a bit unorthodox, being as the vast majority of my music is rooted in science. As such, natural phenomena such as seasonal changes and how they affect our bodies and minds has always played a very crucial role in my songwriting process.

To give a small example, in clinical psychology it is suspected that SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) is more rooted in our biology, than it does in our psychology. I could give many more examples, but the main take away from this, is that all humans are affected by the changing of seasons in a wide array of aspects. Aspects which could also be utilized in songs 👍

Though in terms of preferences. For me its the winter. Stormy nights and intense rain are my "Night an Ode", my musical witching hour. Plus. I think that the clothing in winter is just better than all other seasons. Though that's just me, yes 😅

Edited by VoiceEx
  • Like 1

On 9/17/2023 at 2:40 PM, Alicatt said:

It's beginning to feel like Fall here, and I always get most creative when the leaves turn color.

Is there a particular season when you feel most inspired?  Spring, Summer, Winter, Fall?

I don't think that the particular season that I'm in, more or less inspires me, but it's the season that I'm writing for, that inspires me.  That is, I think people are looking and listening to music that reflects seasonal variations and mood and I tend to put myself in that mindset when writing.  This is helpful for me not only in writing but also in thinking through when I would want to release a song, knowing that preparations take time.  

I have a topic with 2 or 3 questions about seasonal variations and release time.  I like to think of it as preparing a winter song release in summer. :) https://forums.songstuff.com/topic/57731-seasonal-variances-in-music-release-and-listening/#comment-370536

16 hours ago, VoiceEx said:

Hi @Alicatt!

My approach to songwriting and storytelling through music is a bit unorthodox, being as the vast majority of my music is rooted in science. As such, natural phenomena such as seasonal changes and how they affect our bodies and minds has always played a very crucial role in my songwriting process.

To give a small example, in clinical psychology it is suspected that SAD (Seasonal Affective Disorder) is more rooted in our biology, than it does in our psychology. I could give many more examples, but the main take away from this, is that all humans are affected by the changing of seasons in a wide array of aspects. Aspects which could also be utilized in songs 👍

Though in terms of preferences. For me its the winter. Stormy nights and intense rain are my "Night an Ode", my musical witching hour. Plus. I think that the clothing in winter is just better than all other seasons. Though that's just me, yes 😅

Wow, @VoiceEx! This is very interesting to consider from a biological perspective. And, you bring up another good question: The times of day that we tend to feel most inspired. For you it's at night, and for me, it's early morning around sunrise. Different bodies and minds react to environments differently!

• Like 2

On 9/21/2023 at 2:41 AM, Alicatt said:

Wow, @VoiceEx! This is very interesting to consider from a biological perspective. And, you bring up another good question: The times of day that we tend to feel most inspired. For you it's at night, and for me, it's early morning around sunrise. Different bodies and minds react to environments differently!

Well our biology can't be ignored since it play's a part in everything we do. Though granted it does kill the 'magic' to some extent. Its like, imagine how funny it would be if all the songwriters in the world started including the scientific aspects of what's happening during their songs. You'd find yourself at a club listening to songs that are titled: "Estrogen, Testosterone, Progesteronem: The Art of Clubbin". Now imagine how bad it would be if you went to a bar 😅

You bring up an excellent point about the time of day. Our biological clock and circadian rhythm, not to mention, our diet, patterns, habits, and even our genetics, they all play significant roles in terms of our productivity and mindset. Though like you said, different bodies, different minds, different circumstances 👍

Edited by VoiceEx
  • Like 2

Seasons, months, weeks, week days, hours etc can all have an effect on creativity but also the Color  of creativity. In the fall, writers tend to be more reflective, winter more nostalgic, spring hopeful and anticipatory and summer is about the now, seize the day etc. months add nuance to that, as do weeks. Week days have their on sociological cycle with Mondays being “oh no we’re back at work day” and that Friday feeling etc. Hours have similar societal implications with “that witching hour” etc.

Of course, everyone has these type of feelings at these times. Which is why, beyond writing, it also syncs with song releases. Ie, release an optimistic song in spring and so on. It makes good sense to choose album songs and singles with moods that match the release timeline and vice versa.

For example, if your lead single is optimistic, your first single drops sometime in spring. A reasonable time between singles is 6 weeks. So if your second single is also optimistic, then you want it released in spring and that helps dictate when the first single should go. If your second single is more seize the day in mood, then a release in summer is more beneficial. It could pull the whole release plan forward.

You might think that overkill, but you don’t release summer beach songs at Christmas and vice versa for a reason.

Another category, with its own cycle is events. Christmas is the most pronounced but there are others. Halloween, for example.

As a writer and as an artist and as a music marketer, timing is hugely important. Deny it at your peril. You can either work with timing or against it. The smart person works with it because it’s not a fight worth having.

So inspiration and creativity is affected by timing, as is the manifestation of that creativity and how that manifestation is received by listeners/viewers. All it takes is a little thought. 😀

• Like 1

Wow, Guess I'm not alone when it comes to grooving on Fall.  Something about it cooling down enough to think, the impending doom of winter, changes of color, the general scurrying of people getting ready for stuff, school starting, new ideas maybe. Bit and pieces of songs that have been rattling around my head all summer, but was too busy or hot to make it work. Ah, the sun coming up later.  Also, this year, a young man whom we've know for quite a while, opened up a recording studio 8 miles up the road, so I don't have to drive 2 hours to record, what a deal.  Who knows, maybe some divine inspiration to write a cool tune.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Reid Gibson said:

Wow, Guess I'm not alone when it comes to grooving on Fall.  Something about it cooling down enough to think, the impending doom of winter, changes of color, the general scurrying of people getting ready for stuff, school starting, new ideas maybe. Bit and pieces of songs that have been rattling around my head all summer, but was too busy or hot to make it work. Ah, the sun coming up later.  Also, this year, a young man whom we've know for quite a while, opened up a recording studio 8 miles up the road, so I don't have to drive 2 hours to record, what a deal.  Who knows, maybe some divine inspiration to write a cool tune.

Yes! Fall is transition, and transition is inspiring! Hey, congrats on your new studio!