Your Ad Could Be Here

Main Recording Set Up

Recording Set Up  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What's your core recording set up?

• Other
    • Digital Studio
    • PC
    • Laptop
    • Hard Disc Recorder
    • Analog Porta Studio
    • Analog Studio

Hey

I thought a little poll would be useful to see the distribution of set up types. :)

Cheers

John

I'm the "digital" answer however I guess I'm also under the "hard disk" answer also. ???

A mixture of PC, Analogue and Digital Here... Although some of my equipment is beginning to get a little twitchy with being of advanced age now... Hell, some of the analogue gear I have is not much younger than I am (born March 1975)

Edited by Prometheus

• 6 months later...

this is a hard on e i had both cubase and fruity loops and well lets just say im thicker than i thought and thay dont make easy for us guys that used buttons and cables

:)

That's one of the probs with a lot of software recording set ups. The more features they add the harder they make it to use. Luckily I started on an Atari with Cubase. I use Sonar now, which I find pretty intuitive, but then I'm used to software recording programs.

So, if you don't use Cubase or similar, what do you use?

Cheers

John

well to be honest i don't use anything at mo im thinking of just gettin some cash together and doing it in a studio and let the techy people take over

but i still have an old battered 4 track and i know not digi but its all i got

• 7 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hey Memphis

Which set up do you normally use? Or is a mix of all of them?

Cheers

John

• 4 months later...

It's a mix. I usually start with micing through pre's and board pres into the HD, then when we feel like we've done as much good work as can be done at a high velocity, because you can move fast with that set-up, then we move into PT if necessary. Some times people want to stay out of the box, sometimes they want to mix in the box, sometimes we overdub through the box. If it's outside I use my outboard stuff and if it's inside I use a LOT of automation to make things do exactly what I want. That's when I know I'll be needing some rather cleverly done delays and such. Sometimes I bring it in the box and print the changes and put it back in the machine and mix through the board.

Hello guys!

My recording set up is: Digidesign 002 rack, behringer ultragain pro digital, composer pro xl, mac ibook g4..

software: Pro tools 7.0, guitarrig 3, reason, +++plugins=)

So I have a total of 16 inputs simultanious recording and 12 preamps with phantom just to sum. it all up...

I´m moving into an old speech studio a movieproduction company around here used untill lately, its only 12sqf. But it will do for most of my productions untill money starts growing on trees lol!

Edited by GanGrenE

I gave up on the 4 track years ago when my father in law bought me Magix MusicMaker 6 for my new PC.

I couldn't work out where the hiss and warble had went to!

I now use a home built PC with a Terratec 6fire sound card.

I now seem to have settled in to using FL studio far all my audio, now that you can record audio directly to FL my copy of

Cubase is virtually redundant.

Using a DAW is a very steep learning curve and each time I use FL Studio, I find a new button to use!

I was well chuffed with myself last week, for the first time in 4 years I actually got my Mod wheel to work in FL.

I think that the home PC recording studio is the way forward, I actually found MM6 easier to use than my 4 track.

• 1 month later...

Looks like the PC is the way to go for the average musician! Anybody who doesn't use the PC for recording like to explain their setup? and why it's their prefered way?

Using Cubase to sequence both VSTi's and external hardware, along with guitarts/mics/other noise making gizmos all mixed on a yahama mixer that is recorded back into cubase.

Looks like the PC is the way to go for the average musician! Anybody who doesn't use the PC for recording like to explain their setup? and why it's their prefered way?

definitely using Pc is the cheapest!~ heheh ;)

definitely using Pc is the cheapest!~ heheh ;)

That's a good point! Maybe that's why so many are using the PC? Does anybody use their PC just for recording? I use mine for everything including doing my accounts and bookeeping! But I do have a seperate profile that I use when I need it for recording.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Noob
i do everything with my pc... huhuhuh ;)

Sorry folks if I do not reply to the correct spot..but I will learn..I promise.

I also use PC simply because of the price and ease of repair in a moments notice.

I built a small studio at my home. I use an AMEK Big 44 console with Radar when tracking...I'm not to fond of the pre's in the board, not bad pre's but I just like the transformer sound you get from some of the older pre's that used the transformers. I was lucky enough to find a set SSL pre's that were an add on option to the old 4000 series SSL boards. They only take up 4 rack spaces very clean and yet still punchy. I only use compression on the bass and scratch vocal when I track and thats is done through an LA610 and Avalon. Everything else I cut everything dry except for some slight EQ in some cases, I only throw verb back into the Que mix so it sounds a bit more mixed for who ever is playing or singing. After tracking I sync the radar unit up to my MOTU 2408 with a Lucid Genx clock and transfer over to the PC. Most of my mixing I do is in Sonar Producer. I do not mean to step on anyones toes, but I have a hard time learning to like the pro-tools sound, it just sounds different or odd to me. I loose the warmth and it seems to rip out some higher mids, maybe it don't rip them out but it does something funny to them..Anyone agree?

I even built a unit using and old VCR chassis that is full of transformers so when I take the stereo mix back into my masterlink, it kills some of the digital edge.

Any suggestions or ideas would be appreciated.

I hope I put this comment in the right place guys....sorry if I didn't.

SMG