Your Ad Could Be Here

Sounds!

Guest Microbe

Guest Microbe

I've been playing guitar for about 6 years, I have two electric guitars and an acoustic. And I'm getting a bass guitar this week. (finally)

I do like lots of "normal" music, like Miles Davis, for example, but I have a wide range.

I like Modest Mouse, Explosions in the Sky, Tool, deftones, and countless weird things that often I don't even know the names off. Weird stuff from local Co-op radio. Random electronic music. (I'm just starting to listen to it after downloading a bunch)

As of late I've become obsessed with the hang drum. And I'm hoping I can buy one without going to Europe. And I just might be able to it seems...(my fingers are crossed)

And I've been making electronic music. Slowly... I'm using fruity loops, and acid pro. But I'm going to install Reason soon as well.

I usually record "analog music"... heh, guitar, and bass, drums, etc.

I've been playing my acoustic guitar in a Celtic tuning. I've always loved "trippy" sounds, tunings, and chords. And as of late this Celtic tuning is perfect. And having a Scottish background there is a part of me that appreciates it on a subconscious, and almost even genetic level.

It sounds right, all the way down to my DNA. [smiley=acoustic.gif]

I've done similar tunings before. But I'm really digging this one. :thumb23:

I hope I can learn some interesting things about music from you guys. And give you a few laughs.

Guest Microbe
hi Microbe, you sound interesting. what is a hang drum?

Thanks for the warm welcome guys.

The “hang” (pronounced “hung”) is a fantastic, (relatively) new musical instrument that sounds like a hybrid steel drum and gamelan (a Thai xylophone). It is played with the hands or mallets (or whatever) on the lap or a stand and is tuned to make a variety of sounds depending on where it is hit. Hang means “hand” in the Bernese language.

A hang (pronounced 'hung' or 'hong') is a melodious percussive musical instrument, similar to a steel drum. It uses many of the same physical principles to operate. However, since it is struck with the fingers, the sound is generally much softer than a steel drum, and can be played in many ways to produce a large variety of sounds.

The instrument is also frequently called a hang drum, because of the nature in which it is played, its relation to the steel drum, and its popularity with hand drummers.

The hang is typically played resting on the players' lap, and can also be played on a stand. It was the result of many years of research on the steelpan and the study of the diverse collection of instruments from around the world, such as gongs, gamelan, ghatam, drums, bells, etc. Udu-like sounds can be produced with the air resonance within the clamped shallow shells, with the notes sounding like bells or harmonically tuned steelpans.

The inner note on the bottom dome is the bass note, and when played in a dampened way allows change in pitch like a talking drum. Seven to nine notes are tuned harmonically around a central deep note. The hemispheres are hardened by a process known as gas-nitriding.

The hang made its debut at Musikmesse Frankfurt in 2001. Its design is attributed to the instrument builders Felix Rohner and Sabina Schärer.

Its name comes from the Berne dialect word for hand.

;)

Nightwolf. It's a simple tuning. But oh so nice. :)

D-A-D-G-A-D

Guest Microbe

Yes at least for one song. :)

I said this somewhere else, so I'll just copy and paste it.

I want to share another tuning with you......

It's pretty simple :) And oh so fun to use.

D-A-D-G-A-D Just tune them down with a tuner.

I also have used a tuning that requires you to tune the 5th string to the open D next to it by holding it on the 7th fret. And then holding the 6th string on the 7th fret you tune the 6th string to the open 5th. Dropping them both.

Then the high E is dropped to ,match the B string.

I was told that's a Hawaiian tuning by a friends dad. And whn my buddy was younger and showed it to me he called it a sitar tuning :lol:

I think it's some sort of G tuning? Or open G, or something.

I think a friend explained what it would be but I don't exactly remember. Maybe someone here can explain it?

But anyway, that's how you do it. And it's a little weird at first, but I have found ways to make beautiful music with that tuning. With both acoustic and electric guitars.

• 1 month later...
  • Noob

Hi,

Dare I ask how you might be able to get a hang without going to europe. I've seen the odd one now and then on ebay and one being played in the street but other than that they are like gold dust.

Regards,

Sponge

I've been playing guitar for about 6 years, I have two electric guitars and an acoustic. And I'm getting a bass guitar this week. (finally)

I do like lots of "normal" music, like Miles Davis, for example, but I have a wide range.

I like Modest Mouse, Explosions in the Sky, Tool, deftones, and countless weird things that often I don't even know the names off. Weird stuff from local Co-op radio. Random electronic music. (I'm just starting to listen to it after downloading a bunch)

As of late I've become obsessed with the hang drum. And I'm hoping I can buy one without going to Europe. And I just might be able to it seems...(my fingers are crossed)

And I've been making electronic music. Slowly... I'm using fruity loops, and acid pro. But I'm going to install Reason soon as well.

I usually record "analog music"... heh, guitar, and bass, drums, etc.

I've been playing my acoustic guitar in a Celtic tuning. I've always loved "trippy" sounds, tunings, and chords. And as of late this Celtic tuning is perfect. And having a Scottish background there is a part of me that appreciates it on a subconscious, and almost even genetic level.

It sounds right, all the way down to my DNA. [smiley=acoustic.gif]

I've done similar tunings before. But I'm really digging this one. :thumb23:

I hope I can learn some interesting things about music from you guys. And give you a few laughs.

Page? Stealing Music? The hell you say!!

sorry, BTT

True. Page was a Jansch fan (not a bigger fan than me though).

I must say Im facinated by the hang drum description Microbe. I must try to hear one.

• 1 month later...