Your Ad Could Be Here

How Do You Backup?

Guest voclizr

Guest voclizr

Guys & Gals;

I'm a fanatic about backing up my data for my recordings, especially since they take so much time and effort to produce.

I do TWO backups on both kinds of data that I produce. (Track data from my standalone recorder and Kristal Audio WAVs and mix files. I don't bother with the Audacity .aup files because they're too easily corrupted anyway). I back up on an 80 gig Ebook and CDRW disks. Do you think I'm overdoing it?

What are your methods of backing up?

:) John B.

Hey John

No I don't think it's over doing it. Back in the days of floppy drive back ups I lost 3 years worth of music when my hard drive fried, another time I lost some when the re-writeable disk I had been saving on was damaged.

Nowadays I have 3 copies... the one on the original drive, a copy on a network drive and a CDR back up, possibly several for each song as snapshots at different points.

Cheers

John

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use a combination Norton Ghost for a monthly drive image backup of the system drive, and an external USB drive for the audio drive. Working on 2 computers is also handy as I have all the sample data in 2 independant places. I don't do this often enough though.

Edited by davlan

• 7 months later...
Guys & Gals;

I'm a fanatic about backing up my data for my recordings, especially since they take so much time and effort to produce.

I do TWO backups on both kinds of data that I produce. (Track data from my standalone recorder and Kristal Audio WAVs and mix files. I don't bother with the Audacity .aup files because they're too easily corrupted anyway). I back up on an 80 gig Ebook and CDRW disks. Do you think I'm overdoing it?

What are your methods of backing up?

:) John B.

I have been testing Cobian Black Moon- back up software past few month in my work, it is open source- software and free of charge. It seem to be a quite clever little software, I use it to back up my drawings to my USB- memory- stick, and it never fails. All you need is HDD big enough, and Cobian. It is very easy to use, so check it out.

I'm considering starting to use an online backup service. I see now HP has started one, the notification was in my inbox today. They're offering limited space free of charge for up to a year as a trial or they have an individual computer backup with unlimited space for $60/yr. This computer has given me so many fits lately that I should do something like this, and the online one-click automatic service is good for the forgetful/lazy/unfortunate soul. Not that that describes me in ANY way.

I've been looking at online backup services too, but the rate at which I produce material is just too much. Last week I amounted 1GB of new stuff (including updates, of course - but still)! Doing voiceovers or orchestration in 24 bit 44.1 just takes it toll on the harddrive - I'm planning to get a terabyte for backup at home, now.

Edited by FinnArild

• 2 months later...

How's this for Irony?

I just finished typing a reply, but navigated in the wrong direction and lost my post. 8) Shoulda backed it up.

It might have said:

There are at least 3 levels of backup.

The 1st is the change as the song evolves, e.g. mix data. Save early and often, say every 5 minutes or so.

The 2nd is at the end of a session/day. This I backup to a different hard drive using a program that looks only for changes on the master. Very fast. I wouldn't argue with anyone who backs up to more than 1 drive, but that works for me.

The 3rd level of BU is archival. This is at the end of a project that you want to save for more than a month or two. For this, I keep the master drive and print all the data to a DVD. Hard drives are just not suitable for long term storage because they are fragile and susceptible to magnetic damage or deterioration.

On my business PC's, I'm using a program called Memeo Auto backup or something close to that name. It cost $30 and is programmable to keep specific folders backed up to a different drive (in my case a terabyte Western Digital Firewire) and it works on networked PC's.

My 2 pence (oops I mean cents -- just got back from London ??? )

• 5 years later...