Your Ad Could Be Here

Creativity And Mental Illness.

That was an interesting read... And the bit at the bottom jumped out at me because my mum has recently (actually 8-9 years ago now, but the effects are still there!!) got into Steiner education, and my g/f is doing teacher training, so I hear a lot about how bad the current method of teaching is... :S

But from my (obviously limited) experience I would agree with the overall sentiment... I find I feel the urge to write, either when I'm happy (which usually results in a happy song, which I like :) ) or when I'm feeling low, resulting in a sad(er) song... Interestingly, I struggle to concentrate on songwriting unless I'm either happy or sad, nothing in between... Or indeed to far in either direction! lol, excesses tend to lead to me jumping around the room or putting on my Tom Mcrae/Mark Lanegan playlist and curling into a ball(!)

Rohan

the seasons are the most obvious cycle for us to have mood changes. we cope with that using clothes, lights, etc. In other words we adapt.

Brain rewards obtained from simple tasks such as observing the moon can be ample on one day, and another day the moon merely catches the corner of your eye. We change.

I don't hold much else on this post other than to admit that I related momentarily at points throughout the flow of the text. I rekon many did too.

The self ingratiation of the writer stopped at the point you pointed out desertrose

I think in those suffering from mental illness the percentage of creative people would probably be similar to those who DON'T have any form of mental illness.

Not knowing the statistics on these things though I'm just guessing.

BUT, I do think overall that people who have the driven need to express themselves artistically/creatively are generally more....."sensitive"? and perhaps therefore more "likely" to say suffer from depression?

I too write more when I am feeling the extremes of either happiness or sadness, but true depression yields no motivation to do ANYTHING.

Interesting about children who are, perhaps the word is "misunderstood"?

My kids went to school with this little girl once who all the teachers, and some parents dreaded being around. Her tantrums and behaviour were to be seen to be believed. She had been diagnosed with ADHD.

Put a piece of paper in front of her though and she was the most AMAZING artist at seven years old!

Incredible!

I once saw the paintings (on the walls) in a mental institution that infathomably came from this "non functioning" (in societies eyes) human being, that completely blew me away!

We just don't understand how the brain works and society in general has no room for those that fall outside of the brackets of "the norm".

Especially in schools.

Our current methods of teaching in MOST schools certainly don't cater for those individuals who are likely (if nurtured in the right environment) to be the next generation of incredibly talented and creative people.

Coincidentally I was told by my sons teacher yesterday that SHE thinks he needs to be tested for ADHD.

What a crock!

She said he "can't sit still in assembly and figets".

Um...I can't either! Those school assemblies bore me stupid!

He is a boy and boys ARE different... I think schools in general are geared up for teaching girls moreso than boys.

Society is more geared up for people who's behaviours fit nicely in the category of "normal" too, but that's not to underestimate the capacity for these people to contribute in a wonderfully creative way.

Maybe that's what the article was trying to get across?

Edited by Desertrose

interesting, but i imagine it depends on what sort of mental illness. perhaps it's not that artistic people are more prone to suffering from a mental illness, but that people suffering from mental illness are likely to develop their creativity as a powerful coping mechanism, a stress release, finding ways to express themselves and let their anxiety out etc.

• 2 months later...
We just don't understand how the brain works and society in general has no room for those that fall outside of the brackets of "the norm".

Especially in schools.

excellent point, i completely agree [smiley=rockin.gif]

so why go to school? :P *no, that's not the point*

well, i do practice to write songs even when i'm not "inspired", that is to say, not "suffering" from the extremities of sadness or happiness, but generally these sessions produce less "emotionally-involving" songs than when i'm "inspired"

infact, one of my most "famous" songs, i wrote under two hours after being heart broken [smiley=vocals.gif]

another song, i finished in 15 minutes what my guitarist started but just left on the shelf for two years, after my previous g/f left

so, there's definitely a connection between "mental illness" and creativity. maybe it's that we are able to access that part of us that contains the images, words, and emotions, maybe even associated sounds and scents most powerful to us when we are vulnerable to our experiences?

interesting article

I don't think being in an extreme of emotion makes us write better songs. I think it helps us write more emotional songs. Writing a good song is down to hard work and knowledge, more than emotion. Having a 'mental illness' or a 'mental disability' could and apparently does help some focus on certain creative outlets. The most famous person I can think of in this creative field would be Stephen Wiltshire. A quite phenominal artist!

interesting, but i imagine it depends on what sort of mental illness. perhaps it's not that artistic people are more prone to suffering from a mental illness, but that people suffering from mental illness are likely to develop their creativity as a powerful coping mechanism, a stress release, finding ways to express themselves and let their anxiety out etc.

Exactly. There have been numerous studies on bipolar and creativity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Creativity_and_mental_illness

The "Touched with Fire" book is quite interesting.

another short article:

http://med.stanford.edu/news_releases/2002...eative_gen.html

The disease can also be disruptive to family and friends as I know from personal experience. My ex-wife was diagnosed many years ago as bilpolar, I was diagnosed as cyclothymic which is a name for "mild" bipolar, I also have a son and daughter who have been diagnosed as bipolar as well. Some of this group are on meds, others are not, it all depends on the 'level' of affect.

...... uh oh, now the cat's out of the bag. :) and she's bipolar too. :)

KAC

Edited by KennyChaffin