Your Ad Could Be Here

Don't Trust That Angel, He Bites

Greetings, fellow musicians. 8)

My name is Ben, and i am currently residing in the South East of Spain, although Scotland is my home. This is just a very long holiday from which i intend to return ASAP.

My musical background is...different, to say the least. It started with Classical Trombone at age 10, which gradually turned into Jazz Trombone/Film Music Stuff with the High School band i was part of. Then at around age 12 i decided to learn the Highland Bagpipes, for reasons i can't recall, and very quickly picked this strange and punishing instrument up. By age 13 i was competing at the World Pipe Band Championships in Glasgow and in fact, i still do. I then heard the mastery of this instrument in the form of Gordon Duncan, who sadly passed away in December 2005, and took his more irish, mod-traditional, almost rock approach to the instrument, and formed a Rock/Traditional Fusion band with my great friends Gabriel Merryfield (drums) and Sandy james (guitars/fiddle).

Our music was like no othor traditional band in the area (admittedly the 'area' was east scottish borders), fusing Metal drums rythms with fast paced reels and then eventually more experimental stuff. We even had a track which used System Of A Downs 'Viscinity of Obscenity' drum score, with a few reels over the top.

All in all it was a laugh and got us a few good gigs at Business Showcases, School Concerts, and Burns Nights etc etc.

The experimental side of what was known as YDK:Fusion (You Don't Know Fusion)came about because on my 16th birthday i recieved a Roland D-10 synthesiser with full wave editing programs. (The Roland D-10 was old then too, as i'm only 17 now, but it does the job. ) I started messing around with the program, WaveLab, and eventually discussed forming a Noise Band with Gabriel. This band is known as Art of Kaos, and can be found on MySpace (very old old old stuff on there, before we knew what we were doing) or better yet by asking me for some stuff, if it interests you.

AoK *very* nearly finished a debut album, 'A Gross Extortion Of Noise' completing 8 of the 12 tracks we had thought up for this Destructive Media themed concept album.

The band is currently on indefinate Hiatus whilst Gabriel is in Edinburgh and i'm in spain.

Now, whilst all this was going on (you can stop reading if ur getting bored) several of my friends were forming bands too, either tribute bands to our faves, or writing their own stuff, Gabriel was involved in 2 of these bands, being as he is, a fantastic drummer. So i got a lot of experience behind stage, doing PA and just generally being there, and helping a very good friend of mine, Ethan Race, record with his band The Everlasting/Praise Springfist Order, a kind of blend between Godspeed Ye! Black Emperors, Explosions In The Sky and ISIS.

Now, since moving to spain against my will for a year out i have started a two solo albums, under two names:

one is a more puritan Drone Noise band, using my D-10, a U-220, the same software and a theremin i picked up on the way (ok, it cost a bomb :P ). This is under the name 'Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap And Breathe' (dont ask, im pleading the 5th)

the second is a progressive alternative band, accidently started because i needed some way to vent, to explore my mind and creativity even further, this came in the form of lyrics.

i havent yet put these lyrics to music, but i know how i would like some to sound, and will probably get round to it.

The lyrics were mostly painful to write, dissimilar to AoK lyrics which were fueled mostly by anger and hatred, these ones have a lot of Me in them.

that doesnt mean some of them arent still angry and hateful :P

I hope to use this site to connect with like minded musicians, and store my lyrics somewhere other than on perishable paper ;D

im also gonna stop typing now, because this is long.

thanks if you made it this far,

-Ben-

It's actually nice that you wrote some background information about yourself! Welcome, I'm looking forward to getting a better understanding of a genre I barely know anything about, and most of all what kind of lyrics you write for it :)

Welcome - I actually made it to the end - but I read it very quickly :D

Let's hear some of your songs and please also take time to listen and comment on other's stuff.

Hey

Welcome to Songstuff! :)

Interesting. :) At 13 I was playing in Milngavie pipe band, starting novice juvenile, then onto Grade 2 or 3a, can't remember now lol. As a novice juvenile we won the world champoinships (I competed as a drummer at that time, then later as a piper). Classically trained in violin blah blah blah :)

What band are you in?

Cheers

John

Gee - I wish I was taken to Spain against my will - such suffering...

And you can't plead the fifth amendment because we don't have one - that's only on the telly from the US and doesn't apply to us furriners - so stand up and explain yourself, man - just what the hell is this 'Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap And Breathe' ?

Oh - and welcome.

Hey

Welcome to Songstuff! :)

Interesting. :) At 13 I was playing in Milngavie pipe band, starting novice juvenile, then onto Grade 2 or 3a, can't remember now lol. As a novice juvenile we won the world champoinships (I competed as a drummer at that time, then later as a piper). Classically trained in violin blah blah blah :)

What band are you in?

Cheers

John

I play with Duns Pipe Band, which is now in grade 3. We won the scottish champs in 2007, and came fourth in the worlds. It's only a very small band from a very small town, when i move up to edinburgh i will probably join a grade 2 or better band, get some real playing done :D

Gee - I wish I was taken to Spain against my will - such suffering...

And you can't plead the fifth amendment because we don't have one - that's only on the telly from the US and doesn't apply to us furriners - so stand up and explain yourself, man - just what the hell is this 'Fap Fap Fap Fap Fap And Breathe' ?

Oh - and welcome.

ha, what i meant by that was that in order to explain the band name, mention the album/track names, i would break the T&C of the forum :P

particularly the bit about sexual explicity.

personally i think that's all a bit ridiculous, but i'm not gonna go breaking rules before i get here .

Quite a resume' for a 17yo, well done

Welcome to SongStuff [smiley=bounce.gif]

Alright.

Trick question.

Who are your favourite trombone players?

in dont have one. in fact i couldnt name a single famous trombone player, i never got too deeply involved with it.

bagpipes/vocals/noise was so much more fun :)

why's it a trick question?

because there is no such thing as a favorite trombone player!

Boom boom.

xD

fair enough.

thanks for welcomes guys :)

I resent that! My nephew is my favorite trombone player! Really - the insults one has to take ...

:P

Really - the insults one has to take ...

If your nephew persists then that's something hell have to get used to. It is well known, for instance, that the definition of an optimist is a trombone-player with a pager.....

But, seriously, I have many favourite trombonists.

It's a list almost as long as mine for guitarists in fact.

A friend of mine once played me 'My Funny Valentine' - chordally - one a trombone, for example.

Now just get that - one single trombone playing three and four note chords !!

He's pretty damned good - and so was the geezer he learned the trick from.

If your nephew persists then that's something hell have to get used to. It is well known, for instance, that the definition of an optimist is a trombone-player with a pager.....

But, seriously, I have many favourite trombonists.

It's a list almost as long as mine for guitarists in fact.

A friend of mine once played me 'My Funny Valentine' - chordally - one a trombone, for example.

Now just get that - one single trombone playing three and four note chords !!

He's pretty damned good - and so was the geezer he learned the trick from.

i can do two notes at a time :P

4 though? damn...

and i usually get jokes about bagpipes not trombones, ie: what do you call 100 pipers at the bottom of the sea? A good start

hahahahaha

-.- ???

flutter tonguing FTW

Archived