Your Ad Could Be Here

Greetings From A Music/gig Dad

cobalt21

Well, I guess if there are hockey moms and dads I am a music dad.

Trying to support my son passion for music but as he gets older it is increasingly difficult to offer valuable advice.

Have tried a few other forums but not many have worked out as far as offering constructive advice.

Looks like this is a great place for information.

you're such a nice dad..!! :)

how old is your son..??

HEHE, yeh I suppose I am. kids dont realize it till they are older. We are simply supposed to have all the answers even though apparently at 16, they know everything.

He just turned 16 and has been playing for 3 yrs

What sort of advice are you after? My son is 16 too and we do are best to support him in his wishes to become a musician. I've been lucky enough to play with him in a couple of bands too which has been a huge bonus and a really nice thing to share.

From his end he has made a number of sacrfices and decisions which is a measure of his support and commitment. For example he owns two Ibanez guitars - a six string Jem7WH and and a 7 string RG1527 - which he bought by saving pretty much all his own money for a long time and working for them; I think of the £2000ish that they cost we contributed about £200 and he did the rest. He also paid a substantial amount towards the week IGF residential course at Bath that he has been to for the last couple of years where he's met up with a bunch of excellent musicians and tutors (John Wheatcroft etc) and

We pay for a guitar lesson for him each week (and piano also now which he's learning) and support him in his desire to go to college to do music. He's doing Maths, further maths, music and music tech for A level and hopes to go to a good college but not sure which one yet.

From his end he practices every day (his choice) and writes and plays music all the time he can. December he'll do a Grade 8 RGT exam having passed his Grade 6 a while back with about 96% - he is very committed and I try to match that commitment where I can.

As an overall thing I just try to facilitate him to do what he wants to do - in the same way I do with my other son in his chosen field and use the contacts that I have to help. It helps that I have recently started to play music with a professional musician who Zand knows well and gets on with who can tell him a lot about the ups and downs of playing music.

Perhaps the hardest thing as a parent is to know whether you are doing the right thing (ie should be following a 'sensible' carerr option) - I know a lot of unhappy middle aged people who 'do a job' unhappily and my view is at least if you aim for your dream that - even if you don't achieve all you desire - then you'll end up somewhere happier that doing something you have no passion for.

Some playing of my son

Hope that's of some use but let me know if I can offer any assistance

Nick

Edited by Nick

What sort of advice are you after? My son is 16 too and we do are best to support him in his wishes to become a musician. I've been lucky enough to play with him in a couple of bands too which has been a huge bonus and a really nice thing to share.

From his end he has made a number of sacrfices and decisions which is a measure of his support and commitment. For example he owns two Ibanez guitars - a six string Jem7WH and and a 7 string RG1527 - which he bought by saving pretty much all his own money for a long time and working for them; I think of the £2000ish that they cost we contributed about £200 and he did the rest. He also paid a substantial amount towards the week IGF residential course at Bath that he has been to for the last couple of years where he's met up with a bunch of excellent musicians and tutors (John Wheatcroft etc) and

We pay for a guitar lesson for him each week (and piano also now which he's learning) and support him in his desire to go to college to do music. He's doing Maths, further maths, music and music tech for A level and hopes to go to a good college but not sure which one yet.

From his end he practices every day (his choice) and writes and plays music all the time he can. December he'll do a Grade 8 RGT exam having passed his Grade 6 a while back with about 96% - he is very committed and I try to match that commitment where I can.

As an overall thing I just try to facilitate him to do what he wants to do - in the same way I do with my other son in his chosen field and use the contacts that I have to help. It helps that I have recently started to play music with a professional musician who Zand knows well and gets on with who can tell him a lot about the ups and downs of playing music.

Perhaps the hardest thing as a parent is to know whether you are doing the right thing (ie should be following a 'sensible' carerr option) - I know a lot of unhappy middle aged people who 'do a job' unhappily and my view is at least if you aim for your dream that - even if you don't achieve all you desire - then you'll end up somewhere happier that doing something you have no passion for.

Some playing of my son

Hope that's of some use but let me know if I can offer any assistance

Nick

Thanks Nick

Your son is very talented

I have posted in some other threads re: some of the current challenges .

Your description sounds identical to mine except I am not really a musician. I play a bit of classical guitar but thats it.

My son has reached a fork in the road and I want to help him. He has a good guitar teacher who i have known for years. He has been in lessons for about a yr now. He also has plans for University. He too is very dedicated. Got a job at Mcdonalds a month ago so I cosigned financing for a new Gibson SG standard he just bought.

He now wants something for looping since his band hasnt rehearsed in 2 months and he wants to work on the songs he has written.

This forum seems Like a fantastic resource so I will continue posting and I can only hope I can give back in the future.

thanks

Greetings. Why not get your son to join in here too. We have a few teenagers on board!

I'm one of them :) 14 years old, my dad helps me with music to. He doesn't play any musical instrument, then again he did use to play the trumpet. But he know's what sounds good and what doesn't ;)

~TIMOTHY~