Your Ad Could Be Here

Struggling To Get People In

Hey guys. Just posting as I'm having trouble getting anyone to come to my gigs.

I think I've got some pretty good material, and a good band to play it. You can hear for yourself if you go on my myspace. I've just played a couple of gigs, and at the first one I brought 9 people, though the venue was still pretty full. The next one I only brought 3 people down, one band pulled out, and the other band only brought one person. To make it even worse, it was at the Bull and Gate, which has capacity for hundreds of people and a massive stage.

Admittedly the gigs locations were a bit funny, one Kentish Town and one in Fitzrovia, when I'm from Woodford (east London/essex). I booked them as I though they were better venues and more connected to the scene in London, but there's no point playing to a virtually empty room.

For both gigs I invited everyone on facebook and gave out a lot of flyers, for the Kentish Town gig I even got somebody to go flyer nearby on the night, but the total return from flyering was pretty much 0.

I've booked a slightly more local gig in Leytonstone, will see how many people come down for that. Beyond that I don't know what to do. Because a couple of the people I'm playing with are on a session basis, I can't really afford to do a lot of pointless gigs. I'm virtually out of ideas. Has anyone got any suggestions of how to get a few people through the door?

Jon

I know where your comming from there had similar problems myself i think the only way is to get yourself a fan base of some sort even if its from supporting other bands who have a good fanbase and hope to catch a few of them think it takes some time to get known even in local pubs clubs i have even played open mic nights to be seen i am afraid like most things having to build up slowly there is a load of bands out there and we have to fight to get people on our side

Edited by musicthom

Our last gig was to 10 - 20 people. I feel that people don't go to pubs for the music so you get whoever is there to drink. Also there is arguably too much music out there to listen to. Which of us does a supply/demand or competition analysis when we decide we want to gig? Exactly, so audiences are very hard to find.

Hi

Starting from scratch isn't as easy as people think. I'd recommend you read some of the articles in our business section (under songstuff links in the top menu).

meanwhile I'll do a brain dump:

You need to learn about your local music scene to start. Who is who? Who are the bands that already have a large following? What are the best venues in your area that have regular band nights? Can you perform at open mic nights or similar? Who are the best managers/engineers/session men/recording studios/rehearsal studios/press men in your area? get to know the people there. Contacts are everything.

For effective promo it's better if you have a CD. It become your calling card, the thing that reminds them of you and your songs when you aren't around.

Do you have a mailing list? Fan email addresses? You should be building that at the gigs, get someone to gather fan contact details. Set up an official newsletter. Set up a blog (as a member of Songstuff you already have one you just need to activate it.) This gives a news stream people can subscribe to. (PS I am proposing to do a free 30 day challenge course on mainly internet promotion come the new year. there's a poll in the polling place)

Other than that:

Do press releases to local press, national press and music press, internet sites contact lists on facebook, myspace etc. (there is an article about how to put together a press release in the business section)

try and get some free promo from newspapers/radio, contact them about the possibility of getting an article. Be prepared they need to know WHY they should write about you. A new CD seems a perfect opportunity, "performing new material" only gets you so far. Better saved for larger announcements, though there are probably some free press in your area that list upcoming gigs, you just have to let them know.

Set up a tour or string of dates. That in itself becomes a free promo item.

Publicity stunts (don't do something alienates people)

Hand out leaflets with your gig dates

Posters

Use your newsletters (email and snail mail)

Start getting to know the local band managers, events promoters, venue managers and press.

Get support slots from bands that have an audience already

use your newsletter to recruit people to help at gigs, doing promo, building hype etc

Band managers often have contacts for venues.

The main thing I would say is start local. This is where you can more easily have an influence. For example, going to the venue the week before your gig, on the same day of the week and hand out leaflets. on the night of the gig, go to nearby bars hand out leaflets etc.

Give away teeshirts to friends perhaps they will hit the pubs for you. Offer a free t-shirt on the night etc for someone chosen at random from those who signed up for the newsletter that night. etc. All this is really to engender the fact you value your fans.

Above all I would avoid being part of small bands getting together to play gigs. Aim for the bigger acts in your area and get support slots.

Lastly, you could do some free gigs as promo in a place that already has people. A shopping center for example. Get someone to hand out leaflets while you play, get people signed up for your newsletter/mailing list.

Get email addresses mainly, but street addresses work too just that you tend to send less often due to the cost.

My two cents.

John

These words he speaks are true

we're all humanary stew

if we don't listen to

John Moxey

Good points all John.

The part that stood out most for me is to not become one of the small bands getting together to play gigs.

We used to have pre-gig parties and rent a truck to take everyone to the show and then get them home safe again at the end of the night. This worked out GREAT!!!Pre-wound up and loyal to a fault [smiley=rockin.gif][smiley=rockin.gif][smiley=rockin.gif]

Thanks guys, plenty of ideas there. Particularly thanks to John for taking the time to write that all out.

So are you saying to do press releases or get media publicity I'd pretty much have to release a CD? That's possible I suppose, it would cost maybe £700 to get another 3 fairly decently recorded tracks to make up an EP. It's hard to throw that much money at something just because it could lead to some local press coverage. I guess it's always worth recording anyway though, I'd have to increase my income to afford that.

I'll look for bands in my area, but I don't think there's much of a scene around where I live. The nearest live music venues are miles away, and the only local bands I know of are really small bands, i.e. the kind of thing you suggested to avoid. There's one fairly big band from my area, but they’re punk so I wouldn't really fit on the same bill.

I'm gonna try to start a mailing list playing at open mics, as that's free promotion. Maybe if I keep playing the same open mic in London I can make that 'my venue', so I become known in another area than Woodford.

I'm also thinking of trying to make a music video, as one of my friends is studying film and could help out. I’m not sure what I’d do with it then though – I’m pretty much a headless chicken at the moment. Maybe I need a manager.

Maybe if I keep playing the same open mic in London I can make that 'my venue', so I become known in another area than Woodford.

That is a distinct possibility, hope you like the place tho cuz you're likely to bee stuck there for the rest of your career IMHO.

The easy answer is "there is no easy answer", this is easily the hardest question facing talent.

MayBee you need a manager :P

the talent, should bee just that, The Talent!, You should never so much as hand someone a teeshirt, make them go through "your People" if you don't have people, get them somewhere.

Have you thought about delaying live performance for a bit and trying for song placement on a site like TAXI or something similar? I mean, if you have talent and good songs (and I for one like your posted material on myspace), why not try to self promote on the internet, maybe sell some tracks on soundclick and use that as capital to pay for studio time. Expanding your friends list might get your material heard by more people and generate a demand locally for you performing. Any college towns nearby? Rather than try to rent a venue and promote your own show, have you considered getting into a local fair or bazaar that has live entertainment? Ready made audience there.

Some of these ideas may not be feasible, just trying to brainstorm. Being only a lyricist, my perspective is a bit different. But the couple of demos I have on soundclick did very well on their charts, and validated that there is merit in the music I'm helping to create. The wider the cross section of people listening to your songs, the sooner you will find, or be drawn to, your niche.

Phil

I hate to say this, but the problem is most likely that people have not heard of you. Take six months or so and open for the biggest bands you can find. Prepare a demo and press kit and give it to them. Tell them you'll play for free. Take any show you can within a drivable range. Then get a booking agent and stop opening for local bands. Now you can open for national bands. Taking an approach like this sucks because it means you'll get shitty sound, often no sound check and other niceties. But if you're half-way decent your talent will outshine the limitations. Once your name is out there and you start playing shows where people come to see you, you can have a good sound system, an experienced engineer, etc. It's very tough to start out running.

Please dont scream at me for what I am about to say. I am not a musician but my son is. He is still in highschool so when he arranged a gig , contacted 3 other bands who had a bit of a fanbase themselves. I promoted it for them with posters and using facebook. They sold tickets for 5 bucks at school. They ended paying for the venue, $250.00 and paid each band 60 bucks.

The next time my son went to that venue to watch some other bands, 2 people walked up and asked if Catalyst was playing not knowing he was the frontman.

ok so now heres the part that might bug a few folks.

I enjoy music live. I will go to a bar specifically to see a band but for me personally , the initial draw is covers. I want to hear covers.

I will develop a taste for their originals but the initial reason for me taking the time to go see them is because they cover some songs i really like and they do it well.

there was a band here about 15 yrs ago would do a rush tribute set then all originals. Tribute was the first set. People were lined up.

Once they were in, seated, drinking, they would stay. After seeing them a couple times I began to like some of their originals and would look forward to hearing them. I would have bought them as singles at the time but hey, this was 15 yrs ago.

• 10 months later...

OK, I'm coming into this thread a bit late but what the hell.

I'm an acoustic artist (check the myspace page out www.myspace.com/traitewalker)

Apart from 2 gigs last year as rehearsal gigs I've done 28 this year so far, all local around Glasgow and all free entry. Only at the last 2 gigs have I noticed a few familiar faces from previous gigs turning up which is nice. I have been advertising my CD ep at the last 6 gigs but no one is biting yet. I don't expect them too any time soon. I'm concentrating solely on enjoying myself rather than looking into the whole other side of the 'Biz' now. I aint 18 an have no visions of Granduer. For me it's a hobby and I'm having a barrel of laughs, hell I even offend the odd person now and again.

If your good and people are into it they will gravitate toward you bgut you do have to do your part. Don't go into the whole thing blind and be prepared for a looonnnggg hard slog. It is a fun ride though.

chinese chow for now brown cow