Your Ad Could Be Here

Getting To Know You

1. Do you sing, play an instrument or instruments?

I play Keyboards (trained in classical piano as a kid... not for long though), guitar, bass.

I also have harmonicas and a tambourine, but I can't say I can "play" the harp yet.

When did you start playing?

I started piano lessons around 8 or 9. Trained for 2 years then quit because I didn't like the teacher. At around 16 I went to lessons again, mainly for timing etc, I was learning pop songs from the time (1975ish)

Did you teach yourself?

I am self taught on guitar and bass, though I have used video lessons on the internet recently.

2. Are you in a band or bands

I've only been in a band that backed the choir at school, though I have jammed a bit.

3. Do you write songs?

Oh yeah, and then some.

I wrote my first song at 17 and took it to my school music teacher for some help. She gave me a couple of pointers and then told me I'd be performing it at the end of year speech night.

When I woke up, I asked for a singer, and she introduced me to a younger kid who played guitar and sang for me. From memory, he was flat, and we should have transposed it down a few notes.

Do you write lyrics, music or both?

I write both music and lyrics, sometimes one and sometimes the other. I have days that the tune comes and words don't, and others where the words come but I can't put a melody to it.

Do you have a writing partner?

I don't currently have a collaborator, but I joined a social group called Brisbane Keychangers who consist of local songwriters, so I'm hoping.

4. Do you record your music?

My lack of singing ability frustrates me no end. Having said that, I've spent some time tonight listening to recordings by other unpublished writers and I'm getting all inspired to develop my voice some.

Do you use a home studio? If so what gear do you use?

Do you use a recording studio?

Brisbane Keychangers have a monthly get together at a studio. I've only been to one so far, and had a blast.

Do you have music available on the web? if so where?

If my midi files are accepted here, soon they'll be here!

5. What other roles do you perform in the music business?

Management? Label owner? Publishing? Promotion? Other?

6. Are you a tech head?

Nah!

7. What country do you live in?

Australia

8. What are your ambitions?

I'd like to be invited to the Grand Ol' Opry to perform my songs, hang on, that's a dream...

No real ambitions, but wouldn't it be good to live off royalty checks!

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuits?

I wrote a novel a few years back, but it never got published. Well, not for profit anyway. I found it on the internet one day. And I NEVER POSTED IT! I submited it to a handful of agents, and only one ever got back to me. Said something about my portrayal of Americans was unbelievable! I wrote back saying I dealt with Americans just like I had portrayed every day. Never heard back. Go figure! (No it wasn't disrespectful...my heroine was American!)

What are your pastimes?

What are they? Between writing songs, playing Warcraft and watching television I hardly have time to work!

10. What would you like to get out of Songstuff?

Famous!

No, not really. Honest appraisal. Support, Ideas. Collaboration. Entertainment. Fun. All that jazz!

• Like 1

• Noob

hello im Kaytee and yes i spell my name this way :) i play bass and have just begun singing somewhat against my will but thats how i started bass too so who knows where this is gonna go. i am 16 years old and began playing a year ago. im from illinois and i play bass in my church's adult and youth bands. i dont write songs but i am big into art. i love to learn and i am hopeing that Songstuff can help me to learn and further my abilities as a bass player :D

• Noob

looking to make some new friends and get our group some more fans. If you like Ben Folds, we get compared to him a lot....piano driven songs with good melodies/lyrics, please check out our page, you CAN STREAM THEM FOR FREE!

*************and please please "LIKE" our page so we can try to get some bigger gigs!**************

http://www.facebook....pp_178091127385

Edited by ajmakepe
  • Like 1

• Noob

Hello, I am Arvid Lizell from Sweden. When it comes to music I go by the name ManOntheMoon. I play the piano and the guitar, and sing as well.

Working with music is a dream for us all, and Im working extremely hard on making that dream come true.

All I want is for someone to listen to the songs I write, and possibly give me an advice or two about the production or the songwriting, or maybe just a nice, encouraging comment to strengthen my spine and help me on my way towards a big dream.

/Arvid

My music can be found at http://soundcloud.com/arvidlizell

People often compare me to coldplay, which is a huge compliment, but even though they are my biggest idols I hope that my music is something unique and not a copy of coldplay.

Thanks for your time :)

• Like 1

Introduction

What instruments? guitar

When did you start playing? age 13

Did you teach yourself? yes

2. Are you in a band or bands?

What is the name of the band? Not currently in a band.

What do you play? n/a

What other instruments are in the band? n/a

Do you have a band website? n/a

3. Do you write songs? yes

Do you write lyrics, music or both? both

Do you have a writing partner? no

Do you use a home studio? If so what gear do you use? I use a home set up

Do you use a recording studio? not currently

Do you have music available on the web? if so where? soundcloud, youtube

5. What other roles do you perform in the music business? None

Management? Label owner? Publishing? Promotion? Other? None

6. Are you a tech head? No

7. What country do you live in? United States

8. What are your ambitions? To become a better musician/singer/songwriter/

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit? Draw, photography, digital photo editing

10. What would you like to get out of Songstuff? I would like honest feedback on my songwriting and singing and to collaborate with other musicians.

post-11056-0-58735400-1352317830_thumb.j

• Like 1

I am primarily a guitarist but I also sing, play bass, keyboard, string harp, trumpet and tenor banjo.

I started playing violin at a very young age but did not stick with it in part due to my lack of a musical household. I began playing guitar at age 15. I began teaching myself but quickly switched to taking lessons. I have a Bachelor's degree in Music (Jazz Studies and Composition).

I am in a band called "The No Shows"...a reggae/funk band. our current instrumentation is Guitar/backup vocals, Bass/lead vocals, drums.

3. Do you write songs?

I write lyrics and music constantly in several different genres...singer/songwriter, folk, reggae, jazz, pop...light classical

I do record music but not as much as I used to...I am more concerned with gigging at the moment but will post links to some recordings as I become familiar with this site.

I host an open mic! I also do promotion for a music-based apparel company and help manage events at an art studio/micro-scale music venue (owned by the creative director of the apparel company i work with) where my band primarily plays.

6. Are you a tech head?

No...not at all lol. When playing electric guitar I basically use only two effects, delay and chorus.

USA

To write, record and perform original music in a successful way. I have sold songs to bands, singers and producers in the past and am open to collab as well. I have written lyrics to other peoples music and music to other peoples lyrics.

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit?

I am also an aspiring stand up comedian and incorporate my comedy into my solo gigs. I have a quirky sense about words and rhyme that I use in both my music and the comedy i write.

10. What would you like to get out of SongStuff?

Honestly I'm not sure but I would guess it to be part validation and part collaboration

• Like 1

• Noob

I sing, and also play piano and trumpet :)

Only youth bands and orchestras :)

3. Do you write songs?

Some pop stuff, and classical for my gcse exams

only in terms of with my terrible camera, but i'm asking for a nice microphone for christmas :)

I'm 15, got other stuff to do :)

6. Are you a tech head?

No no no. Music through actual instruments thank you very much ;)

UK

To be a musician on trumpet or piano, although i do love singing <3

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit?

Nooo.

10. What would you like to get out of SongStuff?

Just to be heard :)

• Noob

Yep, I sing and play guitar

When I was 12

Did you teach yourself?

I´ve learned the basics from a teacher for 6 months, then taught myself

No band

3. Do you write songs?

Yes, I write lyrics and create the melody

I don´t have a writing partner yet

Yes, with a regular camera

I publish it on youtube

I live in Germany

Connect to people with my songs and get to know other musicians

I draw, paint and write poems

What are your pastimes?

For most part my Job as a kindergarden teacher, playing soccer and spend the rest of my time on learning as much as I can about the world. Its miracles and courses. In history and my personal present time.

Also I love getting to know new languages as I´m learning french right now.

Inspiation and likeminded

• Like 1

Some basic guitar, can sing a bit but not that well.

No

3. Do you write songs?

Yes, both lyrics and music.

Sometimes I just record my voice to hear what's it sounds like...

Malaysia

To be in a band, hopefully... haha...

Yes, I draw abstract for fun.. I like to dance too, but kinda embarrassing though... =)

to share and gain knowledge and inspiration from other musicians/song writers worldwide...

Edited by coldSilver
  • Like 1

I'm 58 years of age and live/work in Dundee, Scotland.

I've been writing songs since 2011 and now have over 150 to my name, 20+ are in demo form while the others are mainly in lyric form only.

The songs range from country and folk to rock . comedy and easy listening genres.

I don't play any instruments so I use a number of singers to perform the material.

I am keen to collaborate with writers who are good at composing melodies.

• Like 1

• Noob

I don't sing, nor do I play any musical instruments. I write lyrics and occasionally, when I write something better than usual, I'll record it. I use a home studio, which isn't really much of a studio, and instead, a computer in my living room. Perhaps, if I get to know you people well enough, I'll show you guys some youtubes evidencing this.

I've worked closely with a relatively successful promoter before. That was cool, I guess, but I'm more of an artist when it comes to music. There is a good amount of my music uploaded to the internet, but I'm trying to start afresh... but, for those that are particularly curious, I'll go ahead and link you by request.

During my entire time in elementary school, I studied the violin. I fancy I don't remember anything, though, and I can't read music (although, I can read guitar tabs, lol).

Edited by GhaNemGrim

• Noob

yes

What instruments?

Guitar (classical & electric), Bass (in the studio)

Did you teach yourself?

Partly, and some classical-schooling as well.

yes

What is the name of the band?

GLADIUS

What do you play?

Guitar

What other instruments are in the band?

Drums, bass, vocals

Do you have a band website?

www.gladiusmusic.com

3. Do you write songs?

yes

both, but mostly music

Not usually

yes

yes. (Guitars): Gibson SG, Charvel San Dimas, Cordoba 40 R, (Recorder): Zoom R16, (Pedals): Tech21 SansAmp GT2, (Rack Effects): DBX Compresser/Limiter/Gate 166 XL, Alesis Quadraverb GT, Yamaha E1010 Analog Delay, (Microphone): MXL V63, (Mic. Pre): ART Tube MP

Home studio

www.gladiusmusic.com

Everything

Yours truly! DIY

6. Are you a tech head?

Sort of. I'm nerdy enough; just perhaps more nerdy than knowledgable,. ha!

USA

“Then let us all do what is right, strive with all our might toward the unattainable, develop as fully as we can the gifts God has given us, and never stop learning" -- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Write stories. At least I used to, before guitar became full-time...

What are your pastimes?

practice, practice, practice...

Inspiration, feedback, motivation, good advice, tips...

• Like 1

• Noob

1. Do you sing, play an instrument or instruments? Yes

What instruments? Piano and sing

When did you start playing? Been playing @ it 4 10 years.

Did you teach yourself? Yes

2. Are you in a band or bands? No

What do you play?

3. Do you write songs? Yes

Do you write lyrics, music or both? Lyrics right now, trying to get into production

Do you have a writing partner? No

4. Do you record your music? Yes

Do you use a home studio? If so what gear do you use? Yes, I used the imac and logic

Do you use a recording studio? No

Do you have music available on the web? if so where? Not yet

“Duh†man

6. Are you a tech head? Somewhat, curiosity gets in the way of creativity.

7. What country do you live in? USA

8. What are your ambitions? To become a professional songwriter

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit? I love to dance, but got bad feet.

What are your pastimes? Researching virtual instruments

Encouragement to start producing music to accompany my lyrics

I think that covers the main musical things! Thanx for asking!

• Like 1

• Noob

Hi, I'll go by the name "Inspire". M.I.S.T.I. (my username) stands for Music Is Supposed To Inspire; something I came up with while listening to one of my favorite artists, Lauryn Hill. Simply put, I have NO former music training or any vocal ability whatsoever (but I love to sing!) but I am a creative writer with a strong passion for rythm and a lover of melody. I can honestly see myself learning writing and producing my own published music for very talented people someday and I will reach my goal.

I am teaching myself keyboard/piano and music notation so that I can better myself and be more fitted for what I would like to do in life. I would like to understand better how to write lyrics (currently I'm a ghost write) and how to keep up with rythm/flow, who knows even make a few friends.

• Like 1

• Noob

Hi,

My name is Ian and I've been writing lyrics for a number of years now. I had a songwriting partner who was a musician, but his 9 to 5 career took over and our songwriting came o a halt unfortunately.

I would dearly like to collaborate with talented musicians and write lyrics in the hope good songs can be created.

My favourite bands are, the Beatles, the kinks, arctic monkeys, the doors, radiohead to name but a few.

When I get a bit more time I will post some lyrics.

Thanks

Ian

• Like 1

I sing and I play various instruments.

What instruments?

I play the flute for concert band, trumpet and bass for jazz band, and I am sort of teaching myself bits and pieces on the piano.

I started playing the piano when I was about seven. The flute I started learning in fifth grade, trumpet in seventh, and bass in ninth.

Did you teach yourself?

I taught myself to play piano and trumpet, but flute and bass were taught to me.

Other than concert band and jazz band, no.

If I were to start a band (which hopefully I will do soon with friends) we would consider many different names, though right now we are most considering either "Undeniable Distaster" or "Unacceptable"

What do you play?

I would be lead singer and play bass.

One of my friends would play electric guitar, one of my friends would play drums, and another piano.

No.

3. Do you write songs?

I do.

Mostly just lyrics, though I improvise in jazz band a lot and I'm working on the backgrounds for a lot of my music.

No, not really, though a friend and I did collaborate on one song.

I try to, but because I'm only able to use my laptop for recording purposes and I have to have utter silence in the house to do so, it doesn't happen often.

No.

No.

Yes, on Youtube... But I'm planning on deleting all of those videos soon as they all have very low sound quality.

Management? Label owner? Publishing? Promotion? Other?\

No, but I plan on becoming a singer.

6. Are you a tech head?

Not really, but my dad is and he helps a lot.

United States.

I would love to become a singer/songwriter.

I doodle sometimes, and I do write stories a lot, mostly fanfiction.

What are your pastimes?

I read and write and cruise Facebook and Stumbleupon.

My goal here is to get constructive criticism on my song lyrics so I can improve and become better.

• Like 1

• Noob

Hi there :)

My name is Niall Higgins and i'm a 16 year old singer/songwriter from South Africa.

1) I sing and play the guitar and drums! I started singing last year (2011) and started playing the drums and guitar 3 years ago (2009). I am half self taught and half trained.

2) No, I am a solo artist :) I do have my own official website - http://niallhiggins.webs.com/

3) Yes I am very big into songwriting! I have fully written and produced 25 songs to date! You can hear them on SoundCloud here :

4) Yes I do record music :) I sometimes record in my home studio using Presonus One software, and sometimes I record at LikeWise Studios. You can hear my recordings here:

5) No I am just a musician at the moment.

6) Not really but I know the basics to recording and making music :)

7) I am proudly South African!

8) To be a Pop Star :)

9) I enjoy acting and public speaking. I also participate in tennis, swimming and drama :)

10) I would like to gain fans and hopefully attract some more publicity :)

Thank you for this opportunity! To watch me perform LIVE, you can go to this YouTube link:

• Like 2

• Noob

What instruments? Keyboard, a little guitar

When did you start playing? 1974

Did you teach yourself? Initially, then clasically trained

What is the name of the band? No

What do you play?

3. Do you write songs?

Do you write lyrics, music or both? Both

Do you have a writing partner? No

Do you use a home studio? If so what gear do you use? Not yet

Do you use a recording studio? Not yet, but have used Fruity Loops in the past

Do you have music available on the web? if so where? No

6. Are you a tech head? Not totally

7. What country do you live in? Uk

8. What are your ambitions? To write and publish and enjoy the songs

9. Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit? Yes Stonemason

What are your pastimes? Music and loads of other stuff

10. What would you like to get out of Songstuff? Sharing knowledge and learn a lot

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Do you sing, play an instrument or instruments?

My first instrument is guitar, however, I play a little piano.

I started playing in 1981.

Did you teach yourself?

Yes, I taught myself but later gained an advanced Diploma in Music and am currently poised to take RGT Acoustic guitar for teaching purposes.

Are you in a band or bands?

No. I last played guitar and wrote songs in a Rock band named 'The Vanity Rules' approximately 1 year ago. We'd been together for more than twenty years and once performed as a band called 'Goodbye Hayley Mills' in the early 1990's. each band included the same musicians but played two very different styles of music. I'm now enjoying producing music mainly for myself but occasionally for others.

The MySpace site for The vanity Rules still displays one of the songs that we played. It's called 'Rooted'. It gained a finalist placing in The UK Songwriting Competition: www.myspace.com/thevanityrules

Do you write songs?

Yes, I'd say my musicianship developed over the years simply by the process of writing as I experimented with different techniques and chords to enhance my writing. I write both music and lyrics and tend to play all instruments on my recordings, including drum programming (my least favourite activity). I don't have a writing partner but have recently collaborated with several other writers.

Do you record music?

Yes. I record using Logic Pro software. I find it to be very useful as a writing tool and I occasionally produce for other people.

What other roles do you perform in the music business?

I don't perform any other roles in the music business.

Are you a tech head?

Absolutely not! I'm meticulous in my approach to songwriting but place great emphasis on writing melody and hopefully writing thought provoking lyrics.

What country do you live in?

I live in the UK

What are your ambitions?

My ambitions are to continue writing and enjoying music. I'd also love to find a publisher or gain a good sync deal for one of my songs.

Do you draw/paint/write stories/computer art/dance or other creative pursuit.

I've written one or two children's stories. It seemed like a natural progression for a songwriter and I enjoyed this activity, though I much prefer the challenge of writing songs.

What are your pastimes?

When I'm not spending quality time with my family, I enjoy reading and writing music.

What would you like to get out of Songstuff?

I'm looking forward to hearing the songs that other people write, finding out about their musical goals, the writing and recording techniques that they embrace and eventually sharing some of the music that I write with other members.

• Like 1