Your Ad Could Be Here

My First Post?

Folks, please forgive my long-windedness, but I have been browsing this website for weeks before deciding to register and I am encouraged and excited over what I've seen.

I compose songs and write lyrics in whatever genre inspires me at the moment: jazz, country, R&B, cabaret, whatever “The Muse” blesses me with. I rely heavily on "The Muse" because I have almost no technical skills or theoretical knowledge of music. As a songwriter what I am most urgently and anxiously attempting to achieve is (obviously) to compose songs with simply irresistible melodies and moving lyrics that people will want to whistle, hum, and sing. With my ears but most of all my heart I pay exceedingly close attention to songwriters such as Harold Arlen, George and Ira Gershwin, Cole Porter, Leon Huff and Kenny Gamble, Henry Mancini and Johnny Mercer, Antonio Carlos Jobim, Laura Nyro, Billy Strayhorn, Carole King, Burt Bacharach, Stevie Wonder, Jimmy Webb, and...well, you get the picture, I’m sure. Aside from technical considerations of song structure, what I am trying most desperately to absorb are the pure, unadulterated feelings these artists conjured up, ‘cause that’s what caused me to stop, stand still, and listen to the songs they wrote.

Now, I know that many of us would probably assign "genius" status instantly to these famous songwriters just as I would, and rightfully so. But what I believe is the most important thing that I am learning from listening to the songs these people created is just this one, simple, yet profound thing, and that is that these folks spread palpable joy and happiness through their creations. They made us be glad to be alive. As a kid during the Sixties (God Almighty, but I miss those days!), I remember my parents giving me that "what in the world is wrong with Loren?" look as I was literally moved to tears upon experiencing for the first time songs like "Moon River", "Georgia On My Mind", "One Less Bell To Answer", and then drying my eyes and jumping around the room like somebody dropped acid in my cereal over the goodtime feeling of "Save The Country", "Paper Cup" and "Time and Love" by The Fifth Dimension, or "Saturday in the Park" performed by Chicago.

My fellow songwriters, I want to do that. I think I can do that. I hope I can do that. Would you help me do that? I’ll help you do that, too, if that’s what you want to do. Let's make people happy, even if we make them cry at the same time...

Hi there welcome

Hey Bluage

Welcome to Songstuff :)

I'm looking forward to this!

Cheers

john

Hi there welcome

Gentlemen...

Thank you for grandly for the sunny greetings, but...now, tell me, fellas, and tell me true, when you read all that stuff I posted in my introduction, I'll bet the first thing that popped into your musical minds was, "Gee, whiz-a-roonie, this guy ain't a songwriter -- he's a speechwriter!!!" (Big smile).

Seriously, though, gents, I believe I am learning well to restrain my tendency towards verbosity (is that a word???) through crafting lyrics for songs. "Less, is more", right?

Now, if you believe a good laugh is a spur for creativity, here's a couple 'a jokes about songwriters...

Q: How many singer-songwriters does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: One. He holds the bulb and the world revolves around him.

Q: What's the difference between a puppy and a songwriter?

A: Well, eventually, the puppy stops whining.

Thanks, again, for the warm welcome, laddies! Talk to you later...

Respectfully,

bluage

Gentlemen...

Thank you for grandly for the sunny greetings, but...now, tell me, fellas, and tell me true, when you read all that stuff I posted in my introduction, I'll bet the first thing that popped into your musical minds was, "Gee, whiz-a-roonie, this guy ain't a songwriter -- he's a speechwriter!!!" (Big smile).

Seriously, though, gents, I believe I am learning well to restrain my tendency towards verbosity (is that a word???) through crafting lyrics for songs. "Less, is more", right?

Now, if you believe a good laugh is a spur for creativity, here's a couple 'a jokes about songwriters...

Q: How many singer-songwriters does it take to change a lightbulb?

A: One. He holds the bulb and the world revolves around him.

Q: What's the difference between a puppy and a songwriter?

A: Well, eventually, the puppy stops whining.

Thanks, again, for the warm welcome, laddies! Talk to you later...

Respectfully,

bluage

Well well after all that i have a tendency to think you are quite mad i think you have found the right place

keep comming back

thumb23.gif

Welcome, Bluage

Longwindedness might good for a writer, but keep in mind that it really doesn't work out on the internet. Short, consist and to the point will get your message through. I must admit that I rarely read posts if they are over roughly 120 words.

Here's some interesting reading on the topic.

sheesh finn, you must hardly read a word i say!

Ochrap - there's that secret out :D ...

Hiya Bluage

I've been missing from this site for quite some time, I don't think anybody noticed because I'm the quiet one.

I just like to read stuff on here, and I've only posted three poems of my own since joining about five years ago!

cya! x

:hiya:

Welcome, Bluage

Longwindedness might good for a writer, but keep in mind that it really doesn't work out on the internet. Short, consist and to the point will get your message through. I must admit that I rarely read posts if they are over roughly 120 words.

Here's some interesting reading on the topic.

Hello, Mr. Finnarild...

Hey, now, that's not fair! You advise me against spouting excess verbiage, and then point me to an instructional website that's got more words in it than the Library of Congress!!! (big smile!). So, I did what the researchers claimed most Web page readers do: I "scanned" it!!! (even bigger smile!).

Truthfully, though, I took your comment seriously. N my wrtng I wl try 2 gt 2 the pt mr qckly (big, bodacious, ballooning smile!)

Thank you very much for directing me to the article, "How Users Read on the Web". I'm reading it right now as I write this to you...

Convivially,

bluage

P.S. Would you tell me, please, how to reply to a post without causing the original post to appear in my response? In this environmentally conscientious era, it makes me feel like I'm wasting paper!

Hiya Bluage

I've been missing from this site for quite some time, I don't think anybody noticed because I'm the quiet one.

I just like to read stuff on here, and I've only posted three poems of my own since joining about five years ago!

cya! x

Wull, "hiya" back at'cha, there, Ms. Saran...

Ah, yes, yes, the "quiet one". There's one in every crowd, roaming 'mongst the LOUD. Would "Saran" be short for "Sarah Ann"? By the way, your "emoticon" is just the cutest little thing! I waved back at it, but it began crying and ran away from me. Oh, fair little emoticon, come back, come back! 'Twas not mine intent to scare thee so frightfully!

My brother-in-law is an exceedingly "quiet" person. I day I asked him, "What's up with quiet people? What are they thinking?", and he said, "What's up with the loud and obnoxious people? Why are they talking?"

Where may I find your poems?

bluage

Thank you very much for directing me to the article, "How Users Read on the Web". I'm reading it right now as I write this to you...

It is actually very interesting reading - people behave so differently on web.

P.S. Would you tell me, please, how to reply to a post without causing the original post to appear in my response? In this environmentally conscientious era, it makes me feel like I'm wasting paper!

I use the "Fast Reply" at the bottom when I don't quote.

...also, if you use the "add reply" button below....the one right beside the "start new topic" button, that works too

Hey, there, Mr. Tunesmith...

I just realized I didn't exactly follow your instructions about posting replies without including the original post, but there's a good reason why I didn't. Right now I'm listening to (and enjoying) your songs on "Jango". Man, let me tell you, I really like what I hear! Suddenly I realize what kind of company I'm keeping on this website. Musically and lyrically, your songs and performance style are something to learn from. I understand every word of your lyrics without straining and the music is mellow and rockin'. Your song "Not-For-Profit Life" instantly reminded me of Roy Orbison. I mean that as a compliment to your versatility.

Sir, you are a true musician and artist. My hat hat is off to you.

Most sincerely and respectfully,

bluage

It is actually very interesting reading - people behave so differently on web.

I use the "Fast Reply" at the bottom when I don't quote.

Dear Mr. Finnarild...

Thank you kindly for your instructions. Regarding the content of Jakob Nielsen's quite scientific inquries into how people read the Web, I have to admit that it's truly fascinating research, only there's something I don't trust about it.

What I mean is, he seems to acknowledge that most people don't apply their full powers of reading comprehension to Web content, but instead of suggesting ways to remedy that deficit, he apparently tries to get around it by simply employing visual strategies to the textual layout. It's as though he was rewarding people for being lazy readers by advocating reducing word density because in his view it's perceived as being tedious and an obstacle to engaing the reader's interest . It's like taking the letter "O" out of the word "Stop", just so people can spend less time comprehending its meaning. It seems rather Orwellian to me.

Any old way, it's certainly the shape of things to come...

Appreciatively,

bluage

sheesh finn, you must hardly read a word i say!

Dear Mr. Moxey...

I've listened to your song, "Awaken", at least five times in a single sitting. I like songs that contain reflective lyrics, and I try very hard to live by the creed espoused by a phrase in the lyrics: "Don't criticize what you can''t understand." Of course, it helps that you laid down such a relaxed groove, and combined with the gentle instrumentation, the overall feeling-tone of your song is compellingly moody and wistful.

Looks like I'm gonna be taking my hat off a lot to the musicians on this website! Thank you for sharing such a pensive and easy-to-listen-to musical experience!

Now, regarding your back problem, if you don't mind my asking, was it your back muscles or your verterbrae that was injured? I've injured my back twice in the last fifteen years, once when shoveling wet and heavy snow when I lived in Chicago, and at another time when I foolishly attempted to lift a garbage dumpster that had been tipped over. If only I had been wearing my Superman costume, I would only have split my pants! However, only my back muscles were injured, and over time I have nearly completely subdued the pain through a program of VERY gentle, low-impact stretching excercises.

Of course, I'm not a doctor, nor am I offering advice. I'm only sharing this with you.

Sincerely,

bluage

Dear Mr. Moxey...

I've listened to your song, "Awaken", at least five times in a single sitting. I like songs that contain reflective lyrics, and I try very hard to live by the creed espoused by a phrase in the lyrics: "Don't criticize what you can''t understand." Of course, it helps that you laid down such a relaxed groove, and combined with the gentle instrumentation, the overall feeling-tone of your song is compellingly moody and wistful.

Looks like I'm gonna be taking my hat off a lot to the musicians on this website! Thank you for sharing such a pensive and easy-to-listen-to musical experience!

Now, regarding your back problem, if you don't mind my asking, was it your back muscles or your verterbrae that was injured? I've injured my back twice in the last fifteen years, once when shoveling wet and heavy snow when I lived in Chicago, and at another time when I foolishly attempted to lift a garbage dumpster that had been tipped over. If only I had been wearing my Superman costume, I would only have split my pants! However, only my back muscles were injured, and over time I have nearly completely subdued the pain through a program of VERY gentle, low-impact stretching excercises.

Of course, I'm not a doctor, nor am I offering advice. I'm only sharing this with you.

Sincerely,

bluage

Thanks Bluage, glad you seem to have enjoyed it :)

Useful advice were my problem simply that. :( It's several discs and several related issues. Good news is that things have been improving, if very slowly and uncertainly (a timescale of years not months). I'm not exactly confident that any improvement will last, but i guess that is understandable. It's a problem I have had constantly for many years, although exactly how much it has effected me has varied over the years depending on the success of treatments and the usual life events. Countless treatments of lots of kinds too, still, carpe diem.

I really should remove that from my artist pages. I think it comes across as looking for sympathy when all I wanted to do was explain why I was so slow at recording and why I no longer gigged! lol

Thanks very much for your concern. It was thoughtful to offer advice.

The nature of Moxey is irrepressible. :) Onwards and upwards!

John

It seems rather Orwellian to me.

Not really - it is just cause and effect, of which cause is likely due to the limitations and applicability of the web medium.

You can't apply behaviorism in a one-way environment - especially not one so packed with alternatives as the web.

You write to be read, or remain unread - that's the facts of it - and it doesn't have to be inferior writing - just shorter and more to the point.

Hiya Bluage

cya! x

Dear Ms. Saran...

Are your poems / lyrics ever inspired by music? If so, what genre, or genres, of music do you enjoy listening to? I read the poems / lyrics you posted and I find the imagery in them to be ornate, mysterious, and loaded with symbolism, the literary equivalent of viewing a fantastic cathedral through a mist at night...

bluage

“God, how I still love private readers, it’s what we all used to be."

J.D.Salinger

Archived