Your Ad Could Be Here

April 2012 - What Do You Do To Promote Your Music?

What Do You Do To Promote Your Music?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Where Do You Promote Your Music?

• Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
    • Myspace
    • Other Social Media (Please post a reply saying where)
    • Musician Forums
    • Fan Forums
    • Your Artist Blog
    • Other Blogs
    • Online Music Distributors (ReverbNation etc.)
    • On Your Mobile Phone App
    • Gigs
    • Your Mailing List
    • Other Mailing Lists
    • Other (Please post a reply saying where)
  2. 2. How Do You Promote Your Music?

• Blogging
    • Micro Blogging
    • Blog Commenting
    • Forum Promotion (Specific promo posts, residual links etc)
    • Article Marketing
    • Free Advertising / Ardvertisement Trading
    • Paid On-Site Advertising
    • Paid Social Media Advertising
    • Paid Search Engine Advertising
    • Video Promotion
    • Mobile Marketing
    • Viral Marketing
    • Mailing List Marketing
    • Posters / Leaflets / Fliers
    • Other (Please reply saying how)
  3. 3. What Is Your Monthly Promotion Budget?

• $0
    • Up To $20
    • Up To $50
    • Up To $100
    • Over $100

I'm not going to be much help but maybe it'll get the ball rolling. I have Reverbnation, Facebook & Soundcloud pages. Although I've not really thought of them as pages for promoting my music more than pages where I can put my music for people to give critiques on. I don't really have anything good enough to start promoting. It seem I get most of my fans through here and another song forum simply by having the link in my signature.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Just to say that as well as the usual Facebook, twitter etc, I also have my own website so I guess I pay for advertising by renting a US server on which I have my website (www.darmindeflern.com) and I also pay for the domain name. I recently within the last month started making music videos more to get my music on youtube but am having fun learning how to do music videos to. I also take part in song competitions to e.g. the UK Songwriting Contest.

Edited by Darmin Deflern

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Noob

Youtube is one of the best outlets that we can promote, and other social media. Also paid review from music website is the key, so by the time that someone tried to search for your music they can see your existing profiles from facebook, twitter, and the paid reviews from a music site.

But I believe that the most important key is to build and engage to your audience thru youtube.

Thanks and more power.

• 1 month later...

Hey all,

I've only just begun my journey, and this is a major learning curve for me.

Where do I promote my music?

Promote isn't really the right word, I've been concentrating on writing, not promoting... gotta have the songs first, right?

Soundcloud - this is a sounding board for me. I'm trying to gain exposure. I am in several "groups" and usually rotate my songs through them to try and find different audiences. I also use Soundcloud as a launching platform because so many other sites import from it -

MusicXray - one of those online A&R places. I've been using it in the past to put my tunes out, and to receive critiques/reviews. I haven't posted any real produced demos yet, but this looks viable for my budget.

SonicBids - like Reverbnation and Bandcamp... not really promoting yet. Still setting up.

How do I promote my music?

I'm not so much promoting, more like conducting market research. As a non-performing songwriter I ask my (slowly expanding) circle of supporters to have a listen and answer a few questions about the song I'm "exposing" which does not include if they like it. Even among my supporters, response is low, so I am relying on my friends and colleagues here a little too much I'm guessing.

Promotion Budget?

I answered $0 in the poll, but as mentioned, I'm not so much promoting as paying for critiques and "opportunities" through Music Xray. That is spasmodic, however I do put a little aside into a separate account for "songwriting expenses" each month ($50). I often use that for pizza. That's a valid songwriting expense, isn't it?

Going to see Ariel Hyatt tomorrow, I just love increasing my feeling of inadequacy!

Cheers,

Kel

• 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

One social network you need to be promoting your music on is Sound Cloud.  I didn't even really think it was a social network until I realized you could follow people and like their tracks etc.  My personal profile only has 200 followers at the moment and my bands songs on my profile are currently getting about 50 - 100 plays a day.  You can also put buy links up so people can buy your music if they like what they hear.

Although my personal profile is new, I am getting that many plays because I am active on the site.  I recommend getting a Souncloud account and becoming an active member!