Your Ad Could Be Here

Smoking and Singing

I stopped smoking April 2003 and have since got a much better voice (and also, I bought my Bassguitar and Digitech GNX3 for the smoking money - whith a LOT to spare - tobacco is expensive in Norway: around $25 for 50 gram pack of tobacco).

Anyway, what's your experience singing and smoking - or stopping smoking?

It's also said that other substances, like kaffein, is just as bad. Anyone have experienses here?

Another good question....

Anything that manufactures phlegm is bad for voice control, unless the death-rattle is your thing.

Dairy products are best avoided in the hours before you sing for this reason.

It's too long ago since I stopped smoking to tell the difference (October 13 1984, since you ask) but I do know I feel better generally for not smoking.

I will start smoking again when I want to sound like Tom Waits.

although a seasoned, heavy smoker - i am aware when my voice is about to crap out - just all the more conscious of it in pre gig / recording situations.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hey Dan

You have a pretty energetic style - how do you keep going for a whole gig?

Hey Dan

You have a pretty energetic style - how do you keep going for a whole gig?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

hi al,

i work each register to its entirety and hope i some left over in my balls.

no i do tend to focus on the set and cut back on the day.. i also drink plenty of water throughout the day and between songs during. its not always the way though i admit! - had many a vox crap out.

• 3 weeks later...

I was actually smoking as I recorded my newest tune but f#ck it, my voice sounds like shiite either way.

• 2 months later...
the only way to stay in shape vocally is to shout and bawl a lot between gigs. your throat gets used to it and there is less chance of losing your voice when you need it. singers are usually noisey sods anyway.

i dont know if smoking makes any difference

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So I guess Soccer Coach is a good day-job for singers? :)

Edited by FinnArild

• 6 months later...

Hey Finn, thanks for the happy ending, that's encouraging. :)

When I quit for a few years I lost my bottom register. Now that I've been smoking again for a long time, I'm losing my upper register.

But I can't say that in either instance above is just from cigs, for I've also lost bottom and/or higher register when I used to gig full time (no cigs or ANYTHING. It seems my voice was most fragile when I was being a good girl!) How much from singing all night (lead and harmony), screaming at times (for effect), and trying to cover parts out of range (because no one else would try)...

But these family-years, I've been sleep deprived a long time. And I think fatigue is maybe the worst of all for the voice.

I heard an old Madonna tune the other day and noted how much her voice has deepened over the years. But I don't think in her case this was due to smoking.

• 1 year later...
I guess it depends on what sound your going for. For Sarah Mclachlan types, it's probably best to be smoke free. On the other hand if your going for George Thorogood, you might as well light em if you got em.

I wonder if cigs really alter the tonal qualities of the voice?

• 2 years later...

This is a thought that has crossed my mind so much in the past few months

Obviously for health reasons it is a good thing and recently for whatever reason i seem to smoke more and i know it is affecting my vocal range

i also have booked some vocal lessons due to start on 13th feb so i think this would be a good time to try and stop

• 4 weeks later...

I stopped smoking April 2003 and have since got a much better voice (and also, I bought my Bassguitar and Digitech GNX3 for the smoking money - whith a LOT to spare - tobacco is expensive in Norway: around $25 for 50 gram pack of tobacco).

Anyway, what's your experience singing and smoking - or stopping smoking?

It's also said that other substances, like kaffein, is just as bad. Anyone have experienses here?

Here's a funny one, for you: I smoked for a year (age 19), because it was written into my contract... when singing with the rock band, "Pride and Joy" in Calif. I say it's funny, because they felt my voice was "too pure" and needed some edginess. Of course that did help, but eventually (a year later), I DID quit. It was easy, because I'm not the addictive type. I know many singers who have never been able to kick the habit, and sound pretty good. What I DO know for SURE, is that if you don't find a way to kick the habit, your future as a vocalist will be shorter than if you DID manage to quit.

Good luck with that!

Cheers, Cheryl Hodge

Author of "A Singer's Guide to the Well-Trained & Powerful Voice"

http://www.cherylhodge.com

http://www.jazzboulevard.com

Edited by Cheryl

• 1 month later...

I've smoked every day for a few years, though not the typical idea. It kind of messes with it sometimes, but for the most part I don't notice. I think my falcetto could be a little stronger, my breaths a little deeper, but it hasn't affected my tone.

I've smoked every day for a few years, though not the typical idea. It kind of messes with it sometimes, but for the most part I don't notice. I think my falcetto could be a little stronger, my breaths a little deeper, but it hasn't affected my tone.

Forgive me, but I ALMOST always know if someone's a smoker by hearing them sing. After they kick the habit their range increases by at least a fifth. Their voice becomes more clear, etc. They are also less prone to picking up polyps and nodes, as they are more aware of the tension they place on their larynx. Cheers.

Meh, I've been smoking bud for longer than I've been singing, so there's not really a baseline to compare it too.

I seriously doubt it, not because of your skill or anything though. I've gone in for singing lessons multiple times from multiple teachers, all who were supposed to be of high quality (Though none really taught me what I wanted to know...) and never could tell, and when I mention it they're always surprised. I'm only 19 though, started singing at 16 seriously, though I could sing a little before that, it;s just nothing compared to what I can do. I went from a little choir boy musical voice to what I have now.

It's only just now really starting to get to me. I've hit a ceiling and I'm not really progressing how I want to. It weakens my falsetto most of all, so you might be able to tell if I was singing in that on one of my worse nights.

What kind of style are you? I do just about anything now, with exception of broadway and stuff... A little done with that lol