Your Ad Could Be Here

Beginner With A Setup Idea

Hi

I'm new too this forum and a complete beginner in terms of recording.

I'd like too start up a very basic home studio !

here is my Idea of setup and equipment. 

So I have an old recording machine ,

It's a FOSTEX DMT-8 Digital Multitracker

Y2Fq7bV.jpg?3?1908

and I'm thinking of getting a Shure SM58 Microphone,

an Electro Harmonix Holly Grail pedal for reverb,

and some headphones.

Do I need anything else ? 

There's a Pre-amp in the machine for the Vocals , I think !

I'm mainly going to be recording Vocals and my Gretsch double jet Guitar.

The Holly Grail Pedal I was going to plug into the AUX send-return , is that OK ? 

Do I actually need a reverb effect or could somebody maybe suggest something cheaper/better  ? .

I would appreciate any help I can get !

Thanks for the Advice HoboSage.

I know it doesn't have any built-in effects but that's why I was thinking of getting a Reverb Stomp Box  and plug it into the AUX send-return, is that no good ? 

Are you sure there aren't any Pre-amps ? 

what are these sliders ? 

8lcpilK.jpg

Well I just want it too start of with.

But I see how it's going too be a pain in the neck in terms of making it an .mp3  !

Thank you ,

I think I might actually go with the Computer then.

I once tried audacity but I think my soundcard didn't play the part. But I had my guitar amp plugt straight into my Computer. That's why I was hoping I could use this Thing because I got it for free.

But do you have any suggestions on an external soundcard ? 

There's no reason why you can't use the Fostex unit to set up a gain structure for recording into the soundcard on the computer.  I have an eight track Fostex unit that I use for location recordings and the preamps on it are perfectly acceptable.  It's a very helpful unit.  The Fostex I have does supply phantom power though, which is a must if you want to use capacitor microphones (also called condenser mics) as they require a 48V supply.

A preamp like was said. If moneys an issue there are several multieffects from Boss or Zoom or others that could give you more variety than just reverb.

Jim

Thank you ,

I think I might actually go with the Computer then.

I once tried audacity but I think my soundcard didn't play the part. But I had my guitar amp plugt straight into my Computer. That's why I was hoping I could use this Thing because I got it for free.

But do you have any suggestions on an external soundcard ? 

I have a tascam US-122 external sound card. Plug in to your comp with USB and you're up and running. 2 xlr's. 4 jacks. Phantom power. No doubt there are newer and better around now, but same idea. Low cost too.

Or when I want a more old school approach with faders and recording outside the comp, I have a boss br900 digital recorder, easily plugged in to the computer via USB. So I can record tracks diredctly on it and just use USB to transfer. Again with xlr's, phantom power, and jacks, plus on board effects.

I'm on a budget and my stuff is old, there's better ways for sure. But you need to have some connection to the comp, the external card is super simple and pretty cheap.

Thanks for all the great replys and I think I have a better Idea of what I can do and what I need,

I'll have too look into what too buy A bit more now,

I'll post on this thread or maybe another one if I have any more questions. 

Thanks again!