Your Ad Could Be Here

Album Art?

Hello folks,

I was wondering,according to you, how important factor an Album art is ?

Personally, I believe that an album is like a swiss knife. Everything is essential, from lyrics to album art. It is part of the soul.

As we have some musicians on board with couple of album releases, it would be great to hear their opinions about it.

And also in general I would like to know opinions of others!

PT

I do think album art is important but definitely not as important as the music itself. It's another tool that can help boost your image though for sure and it most definitely could get someone to click on it to listen. If the music can't back it up, or it's not the type of music the person likes, then it won't matter. BUT, not everyone likes all music, so in that sense, if it gets people to click on it, it's one of the most important tools you might have.

With all the music I like, for some odd reason, I never really got into Iron Maiden (I like them but wasn't enamored with them). But when the phrase Album Cover comes up, they are always the first band I think of. But the White Album and Metallica with black cover are a couple of my favorite albums. Of course it's easier to do something that simple when you are already established. Maybe I'm thinking they become less important the more you make??? I dunno. Just my thoughts on it.

Edited by just1l

I think album art is super important. I've gone home and looked up bands solely because an album cover really caught my eye at the cd store.

• Like 1

A funny thing happened on the way to the circus.

Record sales are on the increase.  Part of this is due to with the fact that you have something physical to look at.  It's also a great prop for tv shows. 

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/vinyl-sales-increase-despite-industry-slump-20110106

Interesting Mike. I made a similar post the other day (although I was talking about CDs) about the goal of a lot of companies on the internet being to take away "physical" ownership of everything and move it all to subscription/cloud based platform. I still firmly believe people will wake up. :) 

In my opinion, it's probably not that important.

Do people still buy CD's?

But for myself, when I put out a new album I love putting together the artwork. It's just a fun, creative thing to do. I love it.

So yeah, these days, probably not to important.

But when I was a kid spending every last dime I had buying cassette tapes. I would buy albums just cause I thought the album cover looked awesome.

I found a lot of great bands that way. And some that were not so great.

Its funny, I've just started buying records again after a long hiatus and of course really enjoying the covers, but I feel a bit cheated when the innards are so thin.

There was a time when you would get lyrics (almost always), photos, bios, even sometimes a cutout thing to build something out of. And that wasn't too long ago, I probably stopped buying records weekly in the early 90s. Although just the other day I open up a new release and out pops - a card-sized bit of paper with a download code to get  a digital version of the album. I really liked this, and hope the record companies/distributors can take this further so the code links to more info about the band etc. Sure, I can google them, but its just nice to see that extra effort made for the humble home buyer. So, a renaissance in cover art and etc. is nigh, I say, let's teach this mp3 generation of the glory of musical by-products  :guitarplay2: !

@chased

Porcupine tree is the band I would recommend you for all the goodies and booklet and stories and everything that have played a role to the development of the album. They give you, however you have to pay but, not so expensive when taken into consideration the music quality

I have bought plenty of albums purely on the strength of the cover art. I think it's very important. And in answer to Onewholovesrock, :) YES! lot's of people still buy CDs, and indeed, 12" Vinyl record sales are on the increase. And a lot of that has to do with the cover art!

THUD!

That, songstuffers, was reality hitting...

Thanks a lot, Tom!

Tom,

It was thought provoking indeed. And I guess that's why it made the conversation stagnant i guess.

at least it made me think, and i am still thinking!  :oops:

PT

Vinyl LP art was a nice canvas.

CD art has always been too small. So former LP art often looks a bit pony scaled down.

I think the covers dont need to be artwork. I think my CD sleeve will just be be lemon yellow.

MP3 covers are something else right? ;)

I have bought plenty of albums purely on the strength of the cover art.

Ah, that explains it then

:eusa_think:

What about the importance of album inserts too?  Surely, the sheet of Big Bambu rolling paper inside the 1972 Cheech and Chong album of the same name was the most utilitarian album insert of all time!   :hippy:

Yeah, but it was all gone by the end of my first listen.  :)   .\|/.

Edited by just1l

Yeah, but it was all gone by the end of my first listen.  :)   .\|/.

Was it THAT bad? :eek:

Was it THAT bad? :eek:

Homegrown. Or as a friend used to say "Homer than you've ever been grown."

Edited by just1l