Your Ad Could Be Here

Challenge #13 Your Lucky Number?

Oh I came out with a streak of evil
While most other kids were 'fraid to tempt the devil
Called him out and beat him square
And sent him on home without his old spear
There ain't no one else close my bad ass level.

My mama slaved all day at the local wal-mart
Scrimped and saved for food upon our table
I'd shake down kids at school and make more money than I cou-ld spend
She never asked where money came from to watch our cable.

Came the day I finished school and left for college
Harvard, Yale and Notre Dam all pitched their game
But I chose UCLA so I could study on the beach
I learned more than surfing out that way!

It was black against brown and yellow against both
They were all too busy to see my coup de taa
I was left high on the ladder when the bloodshed stopped
I was in control of the west as a sophomore

Yeah it helped I came out with a streak of evil
And never was afraid to tempt the devil
It ain't easy being boss, I had to remind minions time to time
There ain't no one else close my bad ass level.

My mama doesn't work no more at Wal-mart
She runs things for me out in Hollywood
Ain't ever much gettin' by that old gal taught me all I know
She put her boy on top like a Mama should

Kel,

I think you enjoyed this. I'm almost convinced ;)

I enjoyed it too.

Its all the better for the contrast of taking care of Mama. Contrast is important I reckon.

Have we lost Vagda?

She's on vacation and only has intermittent access to internet. She'll be back, I'm sure.

K

a good point and lesson to learn, at least regarding getting genuine difference between the original song and your own.

I know in my re-write that although the lyrics and story are nothing similar, I tried to keep the same "feel" quite deliberately.

Coal Miner's Daughter was a song Loretta Lynn wrote about her father, and his struggle to keep his family fed and the yearly toil to buy a new pair of shoes. Some of us can't even imagining how close this family was to starving and being destitute. The song was a tribute to the hard work and sacrifice her father endured for the love of his family.

While I didn't go to the same degree, I used the same building blocks, with reference to "my mother" slaving away in Wal-Mart just to put food on the table etc and then in the "where is she now" verse later on was also following the original song in re-referencing what she had in the first verse, although it was second for me.

Long story short, I deliberately followed the style, if not the story.

I see nothing wrong with Lisa chosing a song about lost love to write another song about lost love. It had prosody built in.

Good choice Lisa, in my opinion. In fact, although I don't know all the songs in the list, I felt everyone did an outstanding job. My applause to thee.

Kel

• Like 1

I know in my re-write that although the lyrics and story are nothing similar, I tried to keep the same "feel" quite deliberately.

Coal Miner's Daughter was a song Loretta Lynn wrote about her father, and his struggle to keep his family fed and the yearly toil to buy a new pair of shoes. Some of us can't even imagining how close this family was to starving and being destitute. The song was a tribute to the hard work and sacrifice her father endured for the love of his family.

While I didn't go to the same degree, I used the same building blocks, with reference to "my mother" slaving away in Wal-Mart just to put food on the table etc and then in the "where is she now" verse later on was also following the original song in re-referencing what she had in the first verse, although it was second for me.

I see nothing wrong with Lisa chosing a song about lost love to write another song about lost love. It had prosody built in.

Good choice Lisa, in my opinion. In fact, although I don't know all the songs in the list, I felt everyone did an outstanding job. My applause to thee.

Kel

Kel, this was a deceptively difficult challenge for me. In the begining it seemed great because I knew the melody but the twist came in my idiotic choice of style being too close to the original song. I really suffered! But in the end, it was ok...

I felt we all did well this week too! it was fun looking up the songs I didn't know the tune to. fun fun fun!

:tooth:  and we were pretty clean this week too...

Kel

I don't think there was anything wrong with it either Kel, my comments were related to the ease with which the original and the new could be differentiated by Lisa, that was all.

Speaking of original songs John, you still haven't told us who won the Blues contest. We all slaved over those lyrics. So, who got the Blue ribbon, and who's going to cry the Blues? Who?

Goldy

Yep, okay, i keep getting distracted. I'll post the winner over in the topic. :)