Your Ad Could Be Here

Challenge #20 Your Favourite Artist

Hi Gang

As part of your songwriter development programme, you will be writing with the purpose of pitching your music to specific artists, or specific types of artists.

Your mission, should you choose to accept it...

To make this an easier step for you to take, the first step will be to select your favourite living artist, and write a song for them. Your familiarity with this artist should aid this project.

There are three stages to this project:

Stage 1: Select and analyse your artist

Post your analysis in reply to this thread.

Stage 2: Recruit a music writer to write and record the music for your lyrics

Stage 3: Write lyrics for your song, get them recorded

Post your song to the group forums with "#20 Your Song Title" as your topic title where "Your Song Title" is, cunningly, your song title!

Your analysis should include:

• Name of artist
  • Style / genres the artist plays
  • Links to some of their music online
  • A paragraph description of their typical song topics
  • A paragraph description of the typical language used (do they use slang? if so, can you describe it?)
  • A paragraph on typical song forms they use. Cite their big hits that use these song forms.
  • Include any other analysis information you consider helps you with understanding the needs of your chosen artist.
  • Details of their publisher, manager and label with contact details for each
  • Details of thei last 3 song releases, last album release, highest chart position in the main chart they would have competed in, and their last tour. Feel free to include any financial info you find.
  • Optional: names of individuals at the publisher, label and management company, including secretaries note, you are only likely to get this info by phoning them! You might get it via email, but that is slower and less certain.
  • Your recomendations for your song with justification based on the above info

Use your analysis to help get your music writer to write the music for your song. So it is a good idea to do a thorough analysis! For the purposes of THIS project, you have to be satisfied with the work your music writer contributes.Don't be held back by not having the details of their publisher, label or manager, though you should continue to try and get that information. If you fail to find those details, but I do, then you will be asked to complete a forfeit task!

The deadline for stage 1 is this Tuesday

The mission deadline for stage 2 is this Thursday

The mission deadline for stage 3 is Friday November 29

The winner will then be decided by public vote on our forums.

If at the end of this project any of you would like to submit your song to your selected artist and you would like advice / support and or feedback on proposed communications, please feel free to say and I will see what i can do. You can always use a pen name and use it as an exercise.

This exercise is vital to writer self-sufficiency, and necessary to learn when you don't have a publisher.

Cheers

John

I'm not used to the joke/seriousness of the setups for the assignments, so I apologize in advance if I am taking this assignment to seriously or lightly

From a light-hearted approach, the artists I keep thinking of that I like write their own material, so I don't plan on putting a lot of time into the research of submitting work for publication aspect.

However, from a serious perspective, if someone was seriously ready for the next step in their songwriting, it seems joining TAXI would be the most realistic way to get publishing opportunities.

http://www.taxi.com/

...that being said, I still think it's a good idea to analyze artists we would like to emulate in hopes of improving our craft.

Edited by jamestoffee

I disagree about Taxi. It is a way to possibly get opportunities without knowing who you are writing for. There was a whole industry and a way of working long before Taxi came along.There still is a huge industry that uses songs written by someone other than the artist, and they don't think of Taxi as their first stop.

Sure it has successes, but it really isn't where the pros go.

There is good reason too. To put it bluntly, Taxis takes money for pitches. If it is too picky about quality it makes less money. So the quality of songs on offer to labels and artists is less. Additionally, it is known for processing and presenting unknown artists, so the deals it cuts are less than they could be. In other words, the publishing opportunities are nowhere near as good as they could be.

So yes, you could submit songs to a blind pitch (Taxi match songs to opportunities) and yes they might forward your song to the music supervisor or similar, or not.

What I am wanting you to explore is the perfectly workable pre-taxi method. Sure go ahead and submit to Taxi too, but it isn't as good as chasing your own deal.

Why?

Writing a targeted song for a specific someone else is not the same as writing a song generically for an unknown other.

You lose the ability to negotiate.

You give money to Taxi for the hook up.

What I don't see is Taxi quoting success rates, ie what percentage of submitting members eventually get pitched, and what percentage get deals. To unknown songwriters who have never had a deal I am sure it would be flattering. It would be interesting to see the kind of deals they are putting in place. I don't know that they are poor, but I sure don't expect them to be great.

What would be useful would be the skills to do like people used to do, and pros still do. Learn how to pitch the right song to the right people.

Many artists who write their own songs still use songs written by others, though many established artists, working with unknown writers, will want to change the song and get a writer's credit for doing not a lot.

However, the main thing for the group is the exercise. If you really don't believe the main artists you like (who are they btw?) will not play songs written by someone else, then pick an artist you like who does use songs by other writers. What have you to lose, versus what could you learn? Nothing ventured, nothing gained etc etc.

The point just now is not to get deals. It is about working through the basics of one specific tried and tested method to get a deal. It can be evolved from what we have here into different nuanced approaches. There are many others of various worth.

This may seem time consuming, and to a degree it is, but it has a worthwhile purpose. If at the end of the day you think it has no merit for you, fair enough. If you would prefer not to try it, fair enough. I would just hate to see you dismiss it because Taxi is seen as a reliable, go to solution, when it is far more of a Hail Mary, scatter gun approach.

Oh, and yes, I agree. The other big benefit is you find out a bit about what works along with stats on exactly how well it worked. You get to known working songwriting with an artist you respect. That in itself is useful knowledge to build. You also improve your ability to write to a brief, with a target market in mind. You begin to address, what is popular and why. Too often songwriters "keep meaning" to do this, ie write songs in the style of. Some do naturally, many don't.

>I disagree about Taxi.

That's fine.  I am not speaking from an experience with TAXI, or as one that has anything published at this point.....so, I don't expect others to take much from my comment as what to do or not do.

>Writing a targeted song for a specific someone else is not the same as writing a song generically for an unknown other.

Agreed

>What would be useful would be the skills to do like people used to do, and pros still do. Learn how to pitch the right song to the right people.

Agreed

> If you really don't believe the main artists you like (who are they btw?)

Coldplay, Ylvis, Imogen Heap, Sufjan Stevens, Jars of Clay.....really like the Beatles, but didn't fit....but like you said, I could find out which artists are/do accept outside material

>then pick an artist you like who does use songs by other writers.

Agreed

>The point just now is not to get deals. It is about working through the basics of one specific tried and tested method to get a deal. It can be evolved from what we have here into different nuanced approaches. There are many others of various worth.

Agreed

> If at the end of the day you think it has no merit for you, fair enough. If you would prefer not to try it, fair enough. I would just hate to see you dismiss it because Taxi is seen as a reliable, go to solution, when it is far more of a Hail Mary, scatter gun approach.          

Thanks for sharing your opinion openly.  I'm not one for wanting to close doors and these are valuable tools to develop. 

For me at this point, I know I just need to be a better songwriter and am focusing on that within the time restraints of a job and family....but maybe my resistance is also due to a lack of clarity and focus/purpose of what to do next; which assignments like this  would help with, verses facing the reality that songwriting might be only a hobby for me and I really shouldn't be spending so much time on it if it is only ever going to be a hobby.

>Too often songwriters "keep meaning" to do this, ie write songs in the style of. Some do naturally, many don't.          

Agreed :)

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

James

No problem James. A fair and frank exchange of views can be very useful. The fact that you haven't taken my comments personally but have taken them in the vein they were meant says lots of positive things about your attitude.

My concern regarding Taxi wasn't just how you thought, but also what others might think. Ie would they take it as a recommendation?

Regarding clarity of where to go, and what to do, my hope is that these exercises give you exactly that.

Regarding will it just be a hobby or not? Well until it pays you, it is a hobby. Can it be more? Yes, it is possible it could be more. It takes time and effort and the important bit most writers miss off... Direction. Does that mean you will win a Grammy? I have no idea. You sure won't win one sitting on your ass with your songs in a book on your shelf (a la most writers) to move from hobby to pro also takes patience, determination and a willingness to learn from your successes and failures along with the wisdom to learn from the successes and failures of those around you, plus the discipline to do what is needed, when it is needed.

Most writers go semi-pro first. Learn as you go. You first contracts may not be the best you ever get, but the thrill is fantastic.

I understand about it consuming time, but I would bet if you are simply passionate about writing and enjoy it, you would still spend some time writing, hobby or not. There is no shame in only hobby writing. ( I am not saying you think that!)

I don't get to write as much on the boards as I would like, but you will soon notice I tend to speak my mind. I am happy to be corrected, though like most people I prefer to be right, if there is such a thing. :) Most times there isn't such a thing, only better and worse.

I could do like most song challenge groups and say "here's a title" or "here's a topic" but really I think that more a pass time and less a challenge, and I want writers to push themselves. I don't think I have met a writer that wouldn't be happy for one of their songs to get picked up, or if they had the opportunity, to make their living from their songwriting. It may, due to pragmatism, not be their driving force on their daily journey through life, but that nugget of their dream smoulders away at the back of their heads just waiting for kindling.

My theory of life is simple. What if?

Regrets suck. If you only get one life, I'd rather attempt to do what I want to do, and if I am honest, I bet I have a great time trying.

I can either spend my time improving my chances or not. Life fritters away. Time just keeps disappearing. One minute you are 20, you blink and you are 30, another blink and you are 40.

I won't get my dreams. Life is usually about trade offs. If I want this, it costs that. But what I can get? Well let's just say I hate looking at something I really wanted, that was there for me to take, but due to my own stupidity, or lack of motivation in the vital moment, I missed it

Sometimes, I admit, it has been because of external factors, like the limitations that loving someone else can bring, or physical or mental or emotional limitations of our own. We all have varying priorities at any one time.

What I can do is give what I am passionate about a real chance. Be smart. Be active.

If I end up an old man, with a bunch of songs in a book, then at least it will give me some cracking stories to tell in the old folks home! Better than simply "I wrote songs but never did anything with them". That just smacks of "sad". I don't mean that in a nasty way. It is simply, saddening. A common story too. :(

Onwards and upwards. :)

There seems to be a couple of views when I try to get on the forum.  One view I see my assignment, the other I don't, so here is a link to my submission

Link to song and mp3:

http://forums.songstuff.com/topic/33340-ssy1w20-my-song-tba-a-la-coldplay/

I also could not update the title of the post, but if I could it would be Challenge #20 Gypsy Woman (a la Coldplay) :)

•Name of artist

Coldplay

•Style / genres the artist plays

Alternative Rock

•Links to some of their music online

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D3JL0PpmYw0

•A paragraph description of their typical song topics

Minimalistic approach with general/vague descriptions of emotions arising from relationships

•A paragraph description of the typical language used (do they use slang? if so, can you describe it?)

Single or double syllable words in declarative/command statement forms; often in second person form thereby addressing the singee directly

•A paragraph on typical song forms they use. Cite their big hits that use these song forms.

Verse/chorus form

"Hurts Like Heaven"

"Paradise"

•Include any other analysis information you consider helps you with understanding the needs of your chosen artist.

Simple musical structures with contrast in  verse/chorus instrumentation, melody and chord progression.

Use of non-lyrical words to emphasize/color melody lines

•Details of their publisher, manager and label with contact details for each

Universal Music Publishing Group

20 Fulham Broadway

London SW6 1AH

United Kingdom

Phone: +44 (0)20 7835 5200

Or

Universal Music Publishing Group

2100 Colorado Avenue

Santa Monica California 90404

USA

Phone: (310) 235-4700

Fax: (310) 235-4900

Web Address: http://www.umusicpub.com/

•Details of their last 3 song releases, last album release, highest chart position in the main chart they would have competed in, and their last tour. Feel free to include any financial info you find.

X&Y (2005)

Viva la Vida or Death and All His Friends (2008)

Mylo Xyloto (2011)

All three albums reached #1 in the following countries: UK, AUS, CAN, FRA, GER, IRL, NLD, NOR, NZ, US

•Optional: names of individuals at the publisher, label and management company, including secretaries note, you are only likely to get this info by phoning them! You might get it via email, but that is slower and less certain.

N/A

•Your recommendations for your song with justification based on the above info

There are sections of non-word vocals to sing along to. 

The idea of signs has a figurative and literal meaning with support the characters of the farmer and gypsy. 

The lines are conversational with only two 3 syllable words. 

There is contrast in the melody between the verse and chorus with the chorus being the higher pitch of the two. 

The lyrics provide an interesting story with a twist at the end which would also be good material for a video.

Edited by jamestoffee

I love the challenge John, but the timing is a bit tight.

It's Monday morning here and I just saw the challenge for the first time 2 hours ago and I can't meet the deadlines you've set. Doesn't mean I won't do it... just can't meet the deadlines.

Kel

What's that old saying about keeping some of the people happy all the time or all the people happy some of the time? Lol

I have no problems with that assuming you can assure me you will recruit yourself on time? :P And hopefully no one will complain.

For obvious reasons it is done to encourage collaboration. Recruiting music writers is more a critical step towards writing a full song for lyricists only, I appreciate it can feel like unnecessary beating around the head with a collab stick for those able to do both.

I love the challenge John, but the timing is a bit tight.

It's Monday morning here and I just saw the challenge for the first time 2 hours ago and I can't meet the deadlines you've set. Doesn't mean I won't do it... just can't meet the deadlines.

Kel

I have no problem moving the deadlines back 48 hours

• Like 1

Don't know if I have to put it here or as another topic.

Name of artist: Ed Sheeran

Style / genres the artist plays: Acoustic guitar with rock/pop/rap influences.
He only uses a guitar and a loop pedal.
He's a singer song writer. So lyrics and music is all of his own hand.

Links to some of their music online:

A paragraph description of their typical song topics
Most lyrics are about love, relationships and his own personal life.
He also has a song about a baby that has born to early and died and a prostitute.

A paragraph description of the typical language used (do they use slang? if so, can you describe it?)
Just typical English.

A paragraph on typical song forms they use. Cite their big hits that use these song forms.

Verse/verse/chorus
'Drunk'
'Give me love'
'Wake me up'

Verse/pre-chorus/chorus
'The city'
'UNI'

Verse/chorus:
'The A-team'

He uses a lot of different song forms. Keeps it variated and intresting :)

Include any other analysis information you consider helps you with understanding the needs of your chosen artist.
He just plays and writes what he likes. All his lyrics are personal to him.
You can feel the emotion when he sings and plays. 

He did some songs as a featured artist with some artist.
Some of my favorites.

'Everything has changed' with Taylor Swift (2012)
'Family' with P Money (2011)
'Drown me out' with Ghetts (2011)

Details of their publisher, manager and label with contact details for each:

Stuart Camp manages the career of Rocket artist Ed Sheeran. 
He joined Rocket from Atlantic Records, having been the Marketing Manager responsible for the campaigns around James Blunt's first and second albums. 

Rocket Music Management
1 Blythe Road
London
W14 0HG
UK
+44 (0)20 7348 4800

Atlantic Records
1290 Avenue of the Americas, New York City, New York

Details of thei last 3 song releases, last album release, highest chart position in the main chart they would have competed in, and their last tour. Feel free to include any financial info you find.
Last 3 singles:

'Small Bump' 2012 
UK charts: Place 25

ARIA: Platinum
RIANZ: Gold

'Give me love' 2012
UK charts: Place 18

ARIA: 3× Platinum
MC: Platinum
RIANZ: Platinum

'I see fire' 2013 (official soundtrack for the upcomming Hobbit movie)
UK charts: Place 13 

Has only been out for a week.

Album:

'+'
Released: 9 september 2011.
UK charts: First place

BPI: 6× Platinum
ARIA: 4× Platinum
IRMA: 6× Platinum
MC: Platinum
RIAA: Gold
RIANZ: 3× Platinum

Headlining tour:
'+ tour' 2011-2013

Has been opening acts for the Snow Patrols Fallen Empires tour (North American dates) 2012
Taylor Swift's Red Tour (North American dates) 2013
Edited by Vagdavercustis
  • Like 1
Name of artist: Chris Tomlin

Style / genres the artist plays: He writes and sings Christian Contemporary music. He plays the guitar, piano, but most of his songs are band back up.  

Links leading to his songs:

A paragraph description of their typical song topics

All of his lyrics are about God. God's sacrifice, His majesty, greatness, power and love..The music is alive, inspirational and speaks to you.

A paragraph description of the typical language used (do they use slang? if so, can you describe it?)

No slang, worship adoration and praise!

A paragraph on typical song forms they use. Cite their big hits that use these song forms.

Verse/verse/ chorus/Verse/Verse/Verse/Chorus

"How Great is Our God"

Verse/Bridge/Chorus1/Verse/Bridge/Chorus2

"God of this City

Verse/Verse/Chorus/Verse/Bridge/Chorus

"You are My King"

Tomlin, uses so many different song forms in his songs, he never writes the same way.

Include any other analysis information you consider helps you with understanding the needs of your chosen artist.

Tomlin has been featured at music festivals and conferences. On June 14, 2007, his song "Indescribable" was used as the official wake-up call for mission specialist Patrick Forester on Space Shuttle mission ST-117.

He started off as a worship leader in the mid 1990's at Dawson McCallister Youth Conferences, as well as other churches. All his songs are mostly, solo worship songs.

Tomlin is still touring the country with his latest studio album, "Burning Lights." from last January, it topped the Billboard 200 charts. But unlike those who've enjoyed performances by Johnny Cash and host of others that played the Baltimore hall, after these fans stream out the doors they have the opportunity to sing Tomlin's songs again. The secret to Tomlin's success, is not the stage, lights or the band, it's not about him. The point is to get you singing his songs in church.

Every Sunday between 60,000 and 120,00 churches are singing Tomlin's songs. Approximately 20 to 30 million in the United States are singing Chris Tomlin's songs in church.Tomlin had the most sung songs reported in 1 of top 25.

Details of their publisher, manager and label with contact details for each

Manager, Shelly Giglio and Mike McCloskey, at:

Six Steps Records

PO. Box 5

Roswell, GA 30077

678-366-9192

infor@sixstepsrecords.com

Details of their last 3 song releases, last album release, highest chart position in the main chart they would have competed in, and their last tour. Feel free to include any financial info you find.

Singles

The last 3 singles.

"Gods Great Dance Floor # 1 Bill Board North America (2013)

"Whom Shall I fear"(God of Angel Armies) #1 Bill Board North America (2012)

"Amazing Grace"(My Chains Are Gone) #2 Bill Board North America (2013)

Albums

Burning Lights # 1 Bill Board North America (2013)

And If Our God Is For Us  # 1 Bill Board North America ( Gold) (2010)

Glory In the Highest # 2 Bill Board North America (Gold) (2009)

He won special special album of the year for " Let the Future Begin" along with 21 other Dove Awards for being Top Christian Artist, Top Christian Song of the Year.

Goldy :luxhello:  :luxhello:

Edited by goldylocks

David Hidalgo:

Musical Styles: Norteno, Cumbia, Bolero, Latin, Rock, Soul, Country, Blues, Avant Garde, Tex-Mex.

Performs using: Vocal, Guitar, Violin, Accordion.

Member of: Los Lobos, Los Super Seven, Latin Playboys, Houndog.

Songwriter. Writes (& sings) in both English and Spanish.   

Song Topics include: The ethnic condition of Hispanic East LA (Malaque, The Neighborhood, Tears of God, Revolution ) .

Refugees (Wake up Delores, River of Fools).

Americana (One Time One Night in America, Viking,)

Most songs are in English, some in Spanish and some in a mixture of both tongues as with Mas Y Mas (lyric reproduced below). Songs stylings are diverse. The experimental side of Los Lobos gave rise to their most innovative and critically acclaimed Album Kiko in 1992. It was in evidence again with the avant garde tinged Colossal Head in 1996. After this David Hidalgo confined much of the experimental work to the side project the Latin Playboys with band mate Louie Perez. Two albums have been made : The Latin Playboys 1994 and Dose 1999. These use odd 4-track low tech sounds and special effects.

Los Lobos Current Album is `Disconnected in New York City’ 2013. A live acoustic album comprising 2 CDs and a DVD of concert. It is recorded at the The City Winery NY City. They are still playing dates here RIGHT NOW. This has not charted as yet.

Previous Album was ‘Tin Can Trust’ 2010

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/cdreviews/10379248/Los-Lobos-Disconnected-in-New-York-City-album-review.html

http://www.last.fm/music/David+Hidalgo

http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/david-hidalgo/149

http://www.loslobos.org/site/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-FuQzEJQFU Live from the DVD "Eric Clapton Crossroads Guitar Festival 2004"

Song formats have become increasingly unconventional since the earliest days. Mas Y Mas is 4/4 with eight verse lines in the ABABCDED rhyme scheme (see lyric below).

The Song ‘Angels with Dirty Faces’ is not as unconventional as it first seems, using a vocal introduction and an off beat pulse which challenges the listener for the first few bars. Even when chords are introduced, the apparently odd phrasing is only ‘explained’ when the bass ground note and kick drum are added. The effect is like listening to a piece of music assemble using misdirection.

Management:  Kevin Morris for Red Light Management: 8439 W. Sunset Blvd.
2nd Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90069

Business Management: Mark Gray at Guzman & Gray: 4510 E Pacific Coast Hwy Long Beach, CA 90804 United States‎

+1 562-498-0997

Label: Los Lobos Records licenced to (In Europe) Proper Records Ltd : http://proper-records.co.uk/about/contact-us/

In USA :

429 Records Inc.
2001 Wilshire Blvd.
Suite 515
Santa Monica, CA 90403

Phone: 310-451-0451
Email: inquiries2@slgmusicus.com

Tour history and setlists 2013  http://www.setlist.fm/setlists/los-lobos-4bd6b3c6.html

Current tour (nov-dec 2013) NY, NJ and East Coast.

Los Lobos fund childrens musical education with benefits as part of their charitable arm.

International Chart success was in 1987 with the soundtrack to the movie La Bamba. (No 1)

Also in 1987 ‘Set Me Free Rosalee’ charted 45 in NZ and 99 in UK

1995 contributed to Robert Rodriguez's Desperado movie soundtrack.

Song Lyric examples (introduced in preceding text)

Mas Y Mas (Hidalgo/Perez)

Let's go, mi chula
Come on out with me
We can throw a changla
Till half pasando three
Get all tangled up
Fall on the floor
Go out, Bailando
Beat down all the doors

Uno pa delante
Otro pa detras
Da me chispas, baby
Da me mas y mas y mas y mas y mas

Let's go, Bailando
Noche's lookin' fine
Jump into the carro
Drink a bunch of wine
Don't tell us nothin'
We look out-a-sight
Tell a lotta lies and
Go outside and fight

Uno pa delante
Otro pa detras
Da me chispas, honey

Uno pa delante
Otro pa detras
Da me chispas, baby
Da me mas y mas
Paso pa delante
Otro pa detras
Da me chispas, honey

Viking (Hidalgo/Perez)

The last time I seen Viking
He was about this tall
With a tattoo
Where a smile should've been
Of his sweetheart's name
Of his sweetheart's name

Do you remember Viking?
He was about you and me
With a big scar
Where his heart should've been
Inside his chest
Inside his chest

Do you remember Viking?
Do you remember Viking?

The last time I saw Viking
He was about so tall
With a tattoo
Where his heart should've been
He was about everything
He was about everything
Do you remember Viking?
Do you remember Viking?
I remember Viking

Artist Analysis

Artist:                        George Strait

Management:        Erv Woolsey Co

1000 18th Ave S

Nashville TN 37212

(615) 329-2402

Label:                        MCA Nashville

Publisher:                 Universal Music Publishing Group Nashville

Submissions to:     MCA Nashville

1903 Adelicia St,

Nashville TN 37212

www.umgnashville.com

(Does not accept unsolicited submissions)

Links:

Amarillo By Morning: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3CWNLhW140&feature=kp

Carrying Your Love With Me: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jH4YI1faPwU&feature=kp

I Cross My Heart: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi4OvIVduy4&feature=kp

Check Yes Or No: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHxS8wlDngI&feature=kp

Baby’s Gotten Good At Goodbye: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDbxoUjxZzM&feature=kp

Genre/Style:

George Strait’s style has been described as Neotradionalist Country. I believe this is to separate his style from that of his “traditional†predecessors such as Merle Haggard, Glenn Campbell, Tom T Hall and George Jones. When his manager at the time approached esteemed songwriter Dean Dillon about writing some songs for him, to Dillon’s enquiry about sho he sounded like, the manager replied, “Well, he don’t sound like nobody. He’s got his own thing going on!†He has continued to do his own thing since leaving the US Army in 1975. His breakout came with the 1982 release of the Dillon penned “Unwound†which put Strait on the Country Music radar. Dillon says he was so impressed with how Strait brought “Unwound†to life he pitched all his songs to him there and then. Having cut more than 50 songs penned by Dillon, Strait obviously liked what was on offer too.

While Strait has written a few songs, he prefers to leave it to the professionals. Having said that, he is currently involved in a project writing with his son Bubba (George Jr) who is making a name for himself as a songwriter.

Latest Releases:

Albums:

Love Is Everything              May 14, 2013

Here for a Good Time        September 6, 2011

Twang                                    August 11, 2009

Singles:

Give It All We Got Tonight (Love is Everything)         Peak @ #3

Drinkin’ Man (Here For A Good Time)                          Peak @ #37

Love’s Gonna Make It Alright (Here For A Good Time)

Peak @ #3

Biggest Hits:

Everybody has their own favourites, but from the research I was able to do,

these songs appear in most “lists†I can find… (in no particular order)

1. Amarillo By Morning
  2. Check Yes Or No
  3. All My Exes Live In Texas
  4. I Cross My Heart
  5. Troubadour
  6. Carried Away
  7. Ocean Front Property
  8. Blue Clear Sky
  9. The Chair
  10. Carrying Your Love With Me

Song Topics:

There is no real George Strait Song, per se. He chooses songs about falling in love, finding love, being in love, losing love and the life of a modern day cowboy. He doesn’t do a lot of hard drinking, hard womanising type songs, though he has released songs asking for something to chase his blues away. He just doesn’t make a habit of it. His songs invariably level no ill feeling toward anyone else, and even songs of lost love either only mention she is leaving, or left, and may only mention one or two things he did wrong. I’ve not heard a song that blames “her†for anything.

Typical Language:

Strait songs typically employ simple, “down home†language, with not much use of slang. Songs with a different way of saying a well-known phrase (eg Blue Clear Sky) prick his interest. He may drop “gâ€s but he doesn’t use curse words, or sing songs with negative subjects, though he sings of lost love, he never lays blame on the other person.

Technical information:

As this non exhaustive list of songs and their forms suggest, to write a song with a pitch to George Strait in mind, use the ABAB form, as he seems to prefer that. While he sings faster and slower, I’d look at a tempo around 120bpm and recommend a key signature around G. Some songs have been written in D and Eb, but most seem to be between F# and A.

AAA

Amarillo By Morning

ABAB

Carrying Your Love With Me

Ocean Front Property

Baby Your Baby

Easy Come, Easy Go

Carried Away

Check Yes Or No

Unwound

All My Exes Live In Texas*

Baby's Gotten Good At Goodbye

Marina Del Rey

*Chorus first.

AABAB

Clear Blue Sky

I Can Still Make Cheyenne

ABABCB

I Cross My Heart

First Draft Lyrics for the song... 

Honest Man

Here on this mountain

I can taste the sweet air,

But all this freedom

Means nothing to me, without you here,

To share it with,

It's no way to live...

[Chorus]

I got a tank full of gas

And time on my side

A whole lot of nothing that I'd rather do

Than ride all night

Just to hold you tight

And kiss you in the golden rays of dawn's first light

I got my heart in your hands

And Baby it's got plans, you see

To put a ring on your finger

And make an honest man, out of me

Darlin' I said I

Couldn't walk down the aisle

But being free is

More than I can bear, without your smile

To share it with,

It's no way to live...

[Chorus]

I got a tank full of gas

And time on my side

A whole lot of nothing that I'd rather do

Than ride all night

Just to hold you tight

And kiss you in the golden rays of dawn's first light

I got my heart in your hands

And Baby it's got plans you see

To put a ring on your finger

And make an honest man, out of me

Repeat Chorus

Right.

I managed to recruit myself yesterday.

I complained bitterly and at great length, but I'm on board just the same.

The song title is

Papa and the Sky

A song that I hope may prove worthy of David Hidalgo.

I must have misunderstood about the magically appearing song subject.

I'll try to do it myself on Tuesday.

John, what's next?

Goldy :luxhello:  :luxhello: