Your Ad Could Be Here

How Many Guitars Do You Own?

• Noob

At my high point, I think I had about 15 guitars.  I had quite a bit of money tied up, so I thinned the herd by selling off all my Taylors and Martins.  I have settled now on 6 guitars that I think were relative bargains

1982 Yairi Bob Weir (WY-1) acoustic electric          (In my mind, Yairi's are the #1 underrated guitars anywhere.)

Guild F130ce -                                                         (This is a Chinese import, but it looks, play, and sounds amazing.)

Fender Jumbo 12 string maple                               Great for the money!

Yamaha 700 series nylon string.                              I haven't learned to think like a nylon string player yet.

Ibanez acoustic 5 string bass                                  This one lives most of the time with my bass playing son

Epiphone Sheraton II electric

Schecter 12 string electric

My favorites are the Yairi and the Guild.   Every time I pick up either one, I think it my favorite.  Then I pick up the other one...

Edited by Ron Manning

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the moment I'm moving to a new mainstay...I've actually worn out my IBANEZ artist EQ. I bought it around 1980-ish and can still hear stuff I played doing commercials that I forgot about that pop onto the radio or TV every now and then. It's falling apart and I'm done getting it fixed !!!) I am "moving" it's setup swapped into a new Les Paul. I play very light strings with three outputs from the guitar: rewound Humbucker with two outs (EAD & GBE) and the stock output...

Fender Jag...'64 or 65 I think...with different pickups...Gretch country gentleman at the bridge...Humbucker at the neck...

Gibson FB-12...'67 (It's a solid body 12 string Firebird, believe it or not.)

Martin "Johnny Cash Rosewood"...'74

Epi dreadnaught...(plays like a Strat)

Gibson new issue Firebird (WHAT a piece of crap!!! It was a 60th b'day present to me...)

• 2 weeks later...

I own 3 right now. An acoustic Yamaha that is alright and 2 electric ibanez beginner guitars. One was for my 17th birthday when I began playing and the other I got at a yard sale adn the acosutic I got on sale. However I did perform with this guy's Taylor guitar before and it sounded really nice! I've been playing guitar for about 2 and a half years, but only really took it seriosuly to get better since the last 6 months. I'm hoping to get a spalted maple guitar sometimes they are so cool looking! :)

• 4 weeks later...

I own the following stringed instruments 

7 acoustic steel guitars

2 nylon classical guitars

2 roundneck resonator guitars AKA dobros

2 banjos

1 lap steel

1 acoustic bass guitar

1 mandolin

I own 3 right now. An acoustic Yamaha that is alright and 2 electric ibanez beginner guitars. One was for my 17th birthday when I began playing and the other I got at a yard sale adn the acosutic I got on sale. However I did perform with this guy's Taylor guitar before and it sounded really nice! I've been playing guitar for about 2 and a half years, but only really took it seriosuly to get better since the last 6 months. I'm hoping to get a spalted maple guitar sometimes they are so cool looking! :)

Oops I meant 15th birthday! 

• 2 months later...

Even though I shouldn't be buying a guitar right now.  I'm seriously considering a Samick Artist Series HJ650

$_57.JPG

I had the standard hj650 with tobacco sunburst finish back in the 90's 

It was far superior to the Valley Arts versions or the Greg Bennett versions that followed.

Edited by TapperMike

• 1 month later...
  • Noob

PRS 24 Custom, PRS McCarty, 62 Gibson Les Paul Classic, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Fender Strat, G&L ASAT neck on Explorer body, Gibson SG, 1934 Gibson acoustic, Takemine Garth Brooks model acoustic, Taylor Grand Symphony acoustic, Martin D28, Martin backpacker, Gibson "Potatoe-bug" mandolin, Johnson electric mandolin, LC Kiesel lap-steel, National Dobro, Ibanez 4-string electric bass, Peavey 5-string active electric bass, Ibanez acoustic bass,...I think that about covers my guitars..unless I trade some keyboards, violins, saxophones, concertina, or drums for a few more...

• 8 years later...
On 12/5/2014 at 2:31 AM, Darrell Wallace said:

PRS 24 Custom, PRS McCarty, 62 Gibson Les Paul Classic, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Fender Strat, G&L ASAT neck on Explorer body, Gibson SG, 1934 Gibson acoustic, Takemine Garth Brooks model acoustic, Taylor Grand Symphony acoustic, Martin D28, Martin backpacker, Gibson "Potatoe-bug" mandolin, Johnson electric mandolin, LC Kiesel lap-steel, National Dobro, Ibanez 4-string electric bass, Peavey 5-string active electric bass, Ibanez acoustic bass,...I think that about covers my guitars..unless I trade some keyboards, violins, saxophones, concertina, or drums for a few more...

The variety of instruments you play is impressive.

- ‘74 Fender Precision bass

- ‘76/‘79 Fender Precision bass

- Custom built 1951 Precision bass with P-J pick up configuration

- ‘02 Morgan Acoustic Bass

- ‘12 Gibson Les Paul Standard

• 1 month later...

None. I bought a used electric once to learn on, but I couldn't get my fingers into those weird positions so I gave up pretty quickly. At the time I thought I had arthritis... turned out to actually be fibro myalgia, so technically there's not really a reason I couldn't play the guitar, other than my terrible coordination skills.

On 1/8/2024 at 4:15 AM, MisterB said:

None. I bought a used electric once to learn on, but I couldn't get my fingers into those weird positions so I gave up pretty quickly. At the time I thought I had arthritis... turned out to actually be fibro myalgia, so technically there's not really a reason I couldn't play the guitar, other than my terrible coordination skills.

Getting a used instrument was a smart choice.