Your Ad Could Be Here

How Many Guitars Do You Own?

I currently have 8 "regular" guitars and 5 'guitar like' midi instruments.

• Parker P44
  • Fender Stratocaster
  • Godn ACM (shallow nylon AE)
  • Godin LR Baggs (predessor to the acoustcaster)
  • Godin Freeway SA
  • Samick Fastback (Les Paul Copy)
  • Raven West 450 (it's a cross betwen a 335 and a prs type body)
  • Rondo SX (tele copy)

I've thinned the herd considerablly over the years.  I've had about 150 guitars in my life 100 of them at the same time.  Oh to be young and succesfull with lots of disposible income.  I used to be a collector of sorts. Some were prized instruments that increased in value, some were studio instruments and some were "yeah this one needs a good home" guitars.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have three guitars. A custom Left handed Strat, Custom Precision bass, and a Takamine G360. They are simple, but I love them.

That's what I want.  I want a bass. or maybe not. or maybe so long as no one finds out I play bass. 

Back before it all I played with a couple of friends who all played guitar. One day I brought a bass to our jam night. Said I'd play it on a few of the songs so long as I didn't have to play it on all the songs because I'm a guitarist first. i didn't mind playing the bass on occasion but I didn't like being the designated bass player. I also didn't like the wieght or the action or how bass strings would tear up my fingers ( i've got short small fingers and they'd be ripped to shreads playing a real electric bass)  So decades pass. It's the 90's and I had a Ibanez X-ing IMG 2010 and the MC1 box as well as rack synths. The delay was about as good as current GR55's however the output was more stable. No ghost notes no missed notes and no cutoff notes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMqqVxETe0I

Anyway I was in a 4 man blues band and the bassist called off for a gig.  I feared and dreaded playing this thing that still looked way to furturistic for a blues gig but I bought it under the condition that half the show my fellow guitarist and band leader would play bass and I'd do the other half as the bassist.  It was a good gig and I enjoyed playing bass live but I didn't want it to be my career....There were a number of band scouts in the audenece.  Our band leader (the other guitarist) gave both me and the instrument high praise for the show. I handed him the guitar and said. It's your's so long as I never have to play bass live again.

I like playing bass but I never want to have to give up the guitar to do so. And midi based instruments will always be a poor second to the real deal in the hands of a competent musician. Sure I play virtual basses and have a lot of fun but it's not the same as the real deal. I think I've come past the point where my bass playing would interfer with my first love (the guitar)

I have three guitars. A custom Left handed Strat, Custom Precision bass, and a Takamine G360. They are simple, but I love them.

And that's all that matters. In some ways I wish I could love an instrument so much I forgoe all others and just pour myself into it. In other ways I'm glad for the variety I have now. 

I love playing bass live. There seems to be more guitar players than bass players so I end up playing it. Guess that's why I bought it.

I had a "Norman" many years ago I had to get rid of  it as I fell on really hard times. I sold that guitar and it just about killed me. I felt as though a part of me was missing, and vowed NEVER AGAIN. Amazing we musicians ... we'd rather starve than sell our instruments.

I have 5 guitars

Tanglewood TW55 Nat Country Jumbo cutaway electro acoustic - - main guitar

Yamaha FG365 acoustic - 30 years old and beautiful soft tone

Tanglewood baby acoustic travel guitar

Tanglewood cedar top 12 string

Fender Baja Tele

I have some 3 should get rid of. These are

Yamaha acoustic (about 42 years old)

Washburn solid electric 

Epiphone mini solid electric (G sharp)

The other ones are:

Fylde Acoustic (rosewood back & sides) an early model

Camps Spanish acoustic (nylon strings)

Jackson Soloist : My gigging guitar (passive PUs)

Jackson Elite : My recording guitar (active PUs)

Yamaha silent : electric classical guitar

Bass:

Dillion Bass (active / passive PUs)

Squire Jazz Master copy

• Editors

I have 4 guitars. lol 3 actually, the other one is simply for show.

• My first acoustic guitar, a cheap rip off of Gibson, called Givson. Lol ( You can laugh, I am too)
  • My first electric guitar. A custom one, wood finish, looks like a telecaster, has a Floyd Rose bridge installed.
  • Another local acoustic guitar , gifted to me by a friend. The brand is called "Procraft" That's what I use mainly.
  • An acoustic guitar , shaped to look like a coffee mug ( an ugly one at that ), which was something I "won" for a local competition. ( I participated because the brochure said that first prize would be a custom built guitar. Didn't know it would be this one lol )

Actually there is one more that I got a few days back. It's an old Samick acoustic guitar. Pretty small too. Fretboard is made of Ebony. A luthier friend of mine just passed it on since it was hanging on a wall for a LONG time. I still have to install the tuning keys and string it but it will be fun to play with :)

Two, a black acoustic and a sugar skull bass. I also had a quarter-size double bass that I tried playing like a guitar, but that didn't work out...

Edited by James Austin

I have 6 guitars…. acquired over a very long span of time. 

Big Baby Taylor acoustic - for studio recording

Martin Custom X series acoustic - for live performances/studio

Dean Performer - had it for years, can't bring myself to part with it since I've done so much work on it

2 Fender Strats and 1 Squire Bronco bass :-)

If I had a Martin I'd have a hard time taking it out for live performances. I've played three, each time I was so overwhelmed I thought they were too good for the likes of me.

• 2 weeks later...

Martins,

00015m road & fun

D-28 gigs home most used

D12-28 gigs

Gretsch g6129tl gigs don't play elec much when home

2 strats gig only

Had more But was broke into long ago ,But love my maartins

Put me down for 8 guitars/1 mandolin :

Electric:

Fender Telecaster Deluxe '78 (My go to electric)

Fender Candy Apple Am. Std. Strat

G&L Asat Classic Tele

PRS SE Semi-Hollow

Rickenbacker 620

Acoustic:

Martin HD 28V (Doesn't leave my house)

Taylor 214CE Black

Washburn 6 String Acoustic/Electric Cutaway(can't remember model I have had it so long)

Mandolin:

Kentucky Artist KM-700 F Model

• 2 weeks later...

If I had a Martin I'd have a hard time taking it out for live performances. I've played three, each time I was so overwhelmed I thought they were too good for the likes of me.

Mike,

I too have irrational feelings of musical inadequacy sometimes.

But no instrument is that good. They may become objects of desire, but they are still just tools after all.

The question for me should be how many guitars would you of owned if none got stolen. 

That answer would be 13, lol! 

Sadly now all I have is a Taylor Acoustic, A beater Mansfield Acoustic, and a terrible Jackson Electric guitar. 

The Taylor however is the nicest guitar I've ever owned which makes up for a bit lol! 

Various old Harmony's under construction.

Martin D35  1969    giging

Tacoma Roadking rr8  1993  giging

Tacoma Roadking rm6c  1992  giging

Ramirez Classical    1961      for  composing 

Stella parlor  1951   looking at

I use several alt. tunings it's easier to haul guitars than retuning.