Your Ad Could Be Here

Chat Chat Chat Chat Chat

So SWiSHzone will be closing for good this weekend (possibly today) http://swishzone.com

There goes my dream job.  I've had it for 12 years though the last few have been on a part time basis.  It was great while it lasted and I'll have a lot of found memories working online.  Sadly just before I got the notice, an old friend passed away.  He was my supervisor during my earlier years but due to declining sales he had to be let go.  He had long term health issues which prevented him from finding work elsewhere.  I'm told he passed away suddenly and quietly at a center for the terminally ill.  

• Replies 465
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry to hear about your friend Mike.

SwiSHzone: I get a similar feeling seeing buildings being knocked down. Sometimes where I have worked or used before in some capacity.

Thanks Rudi

It was a long run. The longest best job I've ever had.  Just turned 13 years for me when the place closed down.  To be honest I "volunteered" as an evangelist prior to joining the team.  I'd written articles for wired, cnet and others, I'd also been published for my contributions to "Friends of Flashkit" a collaborative book written by people with varying flash skills from then varying swf authoring programs (not just flash)  I was near completion writing a book, which required more money then I had.  When I asked for an endorsement the owner hired me. I did live seminars for flashforward.  Appearing at San Francisco, Los Angeles, Chicago and Miami.

It was an amazing ride.  I wrote over 200 help files, countless tutorials and screen casts and answered over 230,000 support calls.  For a long time I was also supervisor for our template development team.  I was an active contributor to all the products we produced in a consulting capacity.   (I can code I'm just not that great at programming)

It came at a time when I was working the midnight shifts at Denny's When I'd juggle over which bills I could pay and which I couldn't. Cars would break down with no money to tow let alone fix.  I'd walk 6 miles in the debt of winter with Sub zero (F) temperatures.  The job at SZ lifted me up. It gave me a sense of purpose like no other before or after.  It wasn't just the money, though in the early years the money was nearly 5 times what I'd made previously. 

Even as sales declined, sales dwindled and I as well as others had to take constant pay cuts.  I still loved it.  When all the other employees were let go years ago, I got to stay on doing support.  No one would thought the company would hold on as long as it did.  We let all the development staff go 4 years ago.  Somehow we were still able to generate sales and maintain support.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to hear this. Is there a chance you can use your experience to ride a wave into something else?

Also sorry to hear about your friend. Along those same lines. If you're an older man have your blood tested and your psa checked. It probably has saved or extended my life. Some of the things that can kill you won't ever be felt until it's too late. I might still be in danger.

Same for women. Don't procrastinate on those exams. All it takes is for that lump in your breast to metastasize into some other part of your body. 

Know what the numbers mean. In my case I didn't really know the seriousness of it until things were further along.

• 5 months later...

For over a week Ive felt like my should & arm has suffered a massive bruise. I dont remember hurting it, but thats what it feels like. I've been working all over the Easter until today. On Monday I had red marks on my arm. Yesterday I booked a couple of hours off to visit the doctor. I was told I have shingles.

Now I'm off work I have had to put off a family visit, a dance classes and tommorow's karate class, because people are scared of getting it. I dont blame them, but the nurse told me only to keep away from pregnant women and people undergoing cancer treatment. 

So I spent the morning in the studio. And am doing housework this afternoon. I'm not feeling sorry for myself, I'm just a bit frustrated & disappointed. At least the injured finger is better now so I can at least play guitar again. Simple pleasures :mellow:.

4 minutes ago, Rudi said:

For over a week Ive felt like my should & arm has suffered a massive bruise. I dont remember hurting it, but thats what it feels like. I've been working all over the Easter until today. On Monday I had red marks on my arm. Yesterday I booked a couple of hours off to visit the doctor. I was told I have shingles.

Now I'm off work I have had to put off a family visit, a dance classes and tommorow's karate class, because people are scared of getting it. I dont blame them, but the nurse told me only to keep away from pregnant women and people undergoing cancer treatment. 

So I spent the morning in the studio. And am doing housework this afternoon. I'm not feeling sorry for myself, I'm just a bit frustrated & disappointed. At least the injured finger is better now so I can at least play guitar again. Simple pleasures :mellow:.

Well that blows! Get better soon dude. I have heard Shingles is very painful. Other than rest I am not sure of what treatment you get, if any.

On 31/01/2014 at 8:39 PM, Just1L said:

Rudi, in the Conservatory, with a levitating pin striped suit.

Case closed.

Encyclopedia Brown

Sounds like a Beatles song.... @john there is our next contest:grindance:

2 hours ago, john said:

Well that blows! Get better soon dude. I have heard Shingles is very painful. Other than rest I am not sure of what treatment you get, if any.

It is. Enough to keep you awake at night. But I'm still relieved its nothing more serious.

I have some medication to stop the blisters spreading.

Hey Rudi, so sorry to hear you got the shingles.  My gram had that years ago and it really took a toll on her.  My heart goes out to you.  I tried to search natural remedies and comfort measures and here's what I found--more of a lean toward comfort measures

one site suggested l-lysine and vitamin C as supplements.

Im trying to find out if food grade diatomaceous earth helps.  It's good for so many skin issues and helps encourage collagen production in the skin.  

Another site recommended oatmeal baths.

I don't know if topical bendryl gel would give you any relief--that would depend on if hystamine is involved in shingles which I don't know.  What I do know is it was the ONLY thing that provided me relief from poison ivy.  Disclaimer:   Do NOT use both the topical and the oral at the same time--you can overdose.

Another site that listed different natural remedies for different things listed this for shingles:

shingles ------ coconut oil, eat and put on skin; St. John's Wort, taken as a supplement and rubbed on skin in an ointment, iodine, apple cider vinegar (internal and external), lysine and vitamin C, Tamanu

other sites recommended colloidal silver.  

This was not extensive investigation, so if you pursue any of these, you might want to investigate it further.  I hope you find some relief and recover quickly.

4 hours ago, Rudi said:

Yesterday I booked a couple of hours off to visit the doctor. I was told I have shingles.

Sorry to hear this Rudi. I recently spoke with someone in a similar situation. It seems that shingles can regress into oblivion if treated properly. The cause is cousin to the same things that cause chicken pox. Zostavax is a vaccination for it.

I have heard that it can be stress induced, or induced when the body is at a low ebb, like working all Easter weekend :) so maybe having some rest and down time can allow it to get better. Basically anything that helps your body fight it is helpful. I'm no doctor, so I'm only going by what I've heard. I hope you find a situation that causes it to go back into regression.

18 hours ago, Pahchisme Plaid said:

Hey Rudi, so sorry to hear you got the shingles.  My gram had that years ago and it really took a toll on her.  My heart goes out to you.  I tried to search natural remedies and comfort measures and here's what I found--more of a lean toward comfort measures

one site suggested l-lysine and vitamin C as supplements.

Im trying to find out if food grade diatomaceous earth helps.  It's good for so many skin issues and helps encourage collagen production in the skin.  

Another site recommended oatmeal baths.

I don't know if topical bendryl gel would give you any relief--that would depend on if hystamine is involved in shingles which I don't know.  What I do know is it was the ONLY thing that provided me relief from poison ivy.  Disclaimer:   Do NOT use both the topical and the oral at the same time--you can overdose.

Another site that listed different natural remedies for different things listed this for shingles:

shingles ------ coconut oil, eat and put on skin; St. John's Wort, taken as a supplement and rubbed on skin in an ointment, iodine, apple cider vinegar (internal and external), lysine and vitamin C, Tamanu

other sites recommended colloidal silver.  

This was not extensive investigation, so if you pursue any of these, you might want to investigate it further.  I hope you find some relief and recover quickly.

WOw!! I am overwhelmed by the kindness & effort you put into this. I am looking for coconut oil. I am also looking into iodine & apple cider vinegar. I often use the later on salads so I will look for some tomorrow. I consume a lot of vitamin C naturally, so that's already sorted.

Thank you so very much Pahchisme. :hearts:

Hey Tim,

I was shocked to find out it was shingles. I had it when I was in my 20s on my torso and it felt worse than this. I didnt connect this experience to it at all. It began about 8 or 9 days before Easter weekend, so Im at a loss to understand why it came on.

I did 3 hours gardening today, so it hasnt been too debilitating.

• 3 weeks later...

I am missing playing out. Due to a burn out crisis, Blown Out hasn't gigged since before Xmas. I'm still playing, but to 4 walls. Maybe this is how buskers start?

Anybody need a guitarist? I'll play anything except pop. :helpsmilie:

I dare say the majority of musicians probably fall into the bedroom musician category. This is only a hunch based on comments I've read from all over. Hope things are better for you now.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, Rudi, did you find anything that works or helps?  Got a guy who goes to my church. I feel bad for him.  He has MS that causes lots of problems for him and now on top of that he has the shingles.

14 hours ago, Pahchisme Plaid said:

Yeah, Rudi, did you find anything that works or helps?  Got a guy who goes to my church. I feel bad for him.  He has MS that causes lots of problems for him and now on top of that he has the shingles.

Well its ok now. Its hard to know what helped because there is nothing to compare it to. Coconut oil may have helped it.

I cant even be sure its over because it doesnt really go away completely.

I hope your church pal gets some relief. I'd say try the coconut oil & vitmin C

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/5/2016 at 0:38 PM, TapperMike said:

Well the honeymoon is over with the Pontiac.  Two days after buying the gig van I rolled down the electric window for the drivers side and now it refuses to go back up. As well I'm having an issue with the ignition.  I have to jiggle the key and hope that it finally clicks in to turn it.  I almost was late for work as I was hoping that simply getting a replacement key would be good enough. 

We've had trouble with the windows in our vehicles, too (we never buy new).  Fortunately, my hubby is good with mechanical stuff--saves us a bundle in car maintenance, but costs us a lot in tools.  I think last time it happened, he had to take the door apart because there are gears or something in the door and they slipped out of place and that's why the window wouldn't go up.  As far as jiggling the key, don't know if its the same thing, but sometimes my steering wheel locks up after its been parked and I can't turn my ignition key.  He told me to turn the wheel toward the ignition and turn the key at the same time and that usually does the trick releasing it so that the key will turn. Can't hurt to try? 

Now that I've got that out of the way,  how about songs you've written with a comical spin on them?

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally got a raise at work.  Nothing earth shattering but at least I can pay most of my bills.  (still really need to fix the minivan)

What do I do with that first paycheck with a little extra cash?  Invest in work clothing.  They supplied me with one work shirt t-shirt and I bought another from them.  Both cheap and black.  Both have seen better days and are bleach stained, along with other things that aren't coming out in the wash.

I bought a chef skull cap (sushi), a chef cap.  Four Chef coats and four pairs of chef pants along with a pair of chef clogs.  I hate wearing nicer clothes that get trashed at work.   Chef's wear is specifically made to be stain resistant, breathable and durable.   While I can cook in anything and the product will be the same as the pride comes from the man not the clothes.  Wearing proper attire can make all the difference in perception.  

1 minute ago, TapperMike said:

I bought a chef skull cap (sushi), a chef cap.  Four Chef coats and four pairs of chef pants along with a pair of chef clogs.  I hate wearing nicer clothes that get trashed at work.   Chef's wear is specifically made to be stain resistant, breathable and durable.   While I can cook in anything and the product will be the same as the pride comes from the man not the clothes.  Wearing proper attire can make all the difference in perception.  

My wife is a chef and she just loves her chef outfit cause she says it's like getting to work in pajamas lol

Archived