Your Ad Could Be Here

Challenge #29 For A Good Cause

Hi gang

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is to create a song and get it recorded. Optionally (and I think this a nice idea) you can follow through on this and make the track available to download and donate the proceeds to the charity you choose.

The lyricist for this challenge MUST BE A GROUP MEMBER.

The purpose is to write a cause based song. The music industry has long enjoyed the benefits of doing "cause marketing". We have all seen it, where an artist donates a sizeable percentage of the profit (often all) of a new single. Obviously the artist gets a lot of benefit from doing it, mainly increased fans, but also secondary sales... Ie someone is buying your charity single and they decide to buy your album, for example.

However, let's not forget your primary purpose here us to write the lyrics and get the song recorded. I just think that having gone so far.... For just a little more effort you could raise some money for charity. No pressure, it is entirely up to you.

Here is how it breaks down...

You choose the charity
You choose the style
You choose the song form
You choose the perspective

One piece of advice I would suggest, is that often charities want to paint the picture that by getting involved you bring hope. "Feed The World" the Live Aid single raised awareness of the issue but it also delivered the message "you can make a difference".

Whether you follow through on it or not, select the charity and have a look at their site, their slogans etc and use that to help identify hooks and your song message etc.

Once you have selected the song topic, draft a title and at that point start writing your lyrics at the same time the melody is being written. If you are collaborating (not compulsory) the idea is to get the melody and words going backwards and forwards between you so for once, instead of writing one then the other, you experience writing them at the same time.

Please then get your song recorded and mastered. This might actually be easier for someone who really intends releasing the song as a charity fundraiser.

To that end IF you decide to go ahead and release your song, a graphic image advert will be added to the community newsletter promoting the release AND if you would like you will be interviewed along with other main players in making your charity single. We will do what we can to support your efforts. I would also suggest that I will try and put together a small team to help promote your song, however graphics, song registration etc is up to you. The promo team is there to advise, do some support work and help promote. Time and people may well be limited, depending on demand, but help is help!

How long? Well it would be good to have a draft of your lyrics by next Friday, but also I would suggest that you aim to have your song complete within 6 weeks. The release date will be somewhere between 8 and 10 weeks from now.

Remember that in the case of a genuine charity single, the charity is also effectively a customer as they will not want to be represented by the wrong thing. Among the reasons why the music industry likes charity singles so much, outside of the genuine fundraising possibilities, are that:

Charity workers and volunteers will often help promote the song
They will often buy a copy too
It reaches a new audience.

Even if you are thinking "that isn't why I am helping", these benefits will happen.

This can be as big or small as you would like. If you want to really use it for fundraising great! If not, there is no pressure. Note, only charity releases will get promotions help for nothing

Anyone intending to do a genuine song release, please let me know by close of business, next Friday.

Your call. your challenge. It is an interesting challenge. But this could be real.

As this is potentially a large challenge taking you into new areas, I will happily offer advice where I can. I would also suggest that you really support each other. For those of you content to just do the write, please know you will miss out on learning a lot of stuff, but please get behind whoever does follow through to release the song by helping with promotions etc.

Don't underestimate the challenge in just writing the lyrics

Best of luck.

This message will self destruct in.... 10, 9, 8....

Cheers

John

PS To submit your lyrics, add them as a new topic in the group discussion board

Please mark your topics with the number of the challenge in the topic title:

"#29 My Song Title"

Update:  The song was accepted for submission.  :)

Here is a link to the story, song and donation:

View the song here: http://singmeastory.org/stories/the-great-robbery?song=439

Here is one organization I checked out and thought it might interest others as well:

http://singmeastory.org/

The Sing Me a Story Foundation combines the imaginations of children in hospitals, children's homes, vulnerable youth organizations and hospices with the talents of songwriters to create stories and songs that bring joy to all those involved.

Here is a link to the song I plan to submit to the organization:

http://forums.songstuff.com/topic/35656-29-the-great-robbery/

Edited by jamestoffee
  • Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

Well done James. I did see and like your post at the time but was in a rush and intended posting afterwards and.. Forgot. Doh!

Anyone who wants some help with promo, just give a shout out and awe can see what help can be given. :)

Well done James. I did see and like your post at the time but was in a rush and intended posting afterwards and.. Forgot. Doh!

Hi John,

No worries on the timing ;)  Thanks for the listen and post.......and as always for taking the time to set up the challenges :)

-James

Where do you list the challenge winners and can we vote?

Amy

Hi Amy

There's no vote for this particular challenge. Not all challenges have a vote, in fact not all challenges have a winner, this one included. That was one reason for choosing the title "challenge" and not "contest". The idea is to set you the writer personal challenges for your writing and what you do with the resulting lyrics.

I try to change the layout of the challenge to keep it interesting and to keep you, the particpiants challenged and engaged.

For me, this important part in this challenge is writing to a brief, writing aligned to a cause, and the opportunity and support (if wanted) to take it passed writing a song for a lyrics writing challenge, through collaborating on writing a complete song, right up to releasing a song to help a worthy cause.

Don't worry, other challenges will have a more competitive edge to them. Some might be a staff choice, some a challenge group vote, and some an open member vote.

Regarding this challenge, I have been pretty busy so i haven't been involved in the reviews I know challenge group members offer each other this time. My offer to support released with some promo and to interview the writers and distribute it to our members is a serious offer and not dependent on being a winner....

Lastly, I am very open to suggestions for future challenges or for that matter suggestions for improving the challenges too.

I hope you enjoyed taking part in this challenge and that you have been able to make the most of it?

Well done Les!

For me, one of the main goals of these challenges is to encourage you to try new things, including showing you what you can achieve by "doing". Instead of just talking about what you will do at some point, I opt for doing now, building experience through direct action.

So far I have been pretty pleased with what group members have been achieving. The fact that you have taken this on and achieved what you have is a testament to your skills and hard work. You should rightly be proud!

• Like 1

Thank you Les, you are very welcome :)

I won't be able to participate in the Challenges for awhile, as I'm fighting serious illness. But thanks John for all the previous ones that I enjoyed in the past. You truly are a wonderful mentor.

Goldy :jumping25:  :jumping25:  :jumping25:

Hi goldy, I hope your ok, I will be praying for you.

amy

Hey Sandy, Many thanks, it means a lot :)

I hope not too serious? Either way, get better soon. I had wondered where you were!