Your Ad Could Be Here

Antonio Stradivarius Violin? Real?

I was trying to find a good spot to get advice on two violins found in NH USA in an antique store, in the back, kinda rough shape but the label inside looks ligit.

Anyone here on SS good with Violins? Take a look and see if they're worth buying to get appraised.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Lisa

post-11902-0-00761200-1402261759_thumb.j

post-11902-0-01613400-1402261774_thumb.j

I have no idea as to the value of these but they are unlikely to be strads.

http://blog.feinviolins.com/2011/07/so-you-think-you-found-stradivarius.html

Find a luthier and get an informed opinion.

Good Luck Lisa

That was the same advice I offered. The labelling on the one I could see added up, ie no alarm bells as the date added up with the correct Stradiuarius being used as Stradivarius was only used post 1730, but there were many many fakes made a century or two ago. One thing I note is that the distressing in both is remarkably uniform and unlikely, ie not real wear and tear.

Only 1100 were ever made, with 650 known survivors. They are rare. Very rare. The chances of finding one is remote. Two?

As Rudi says, only a luthier could tell. Not just any luthier either. Only a luthier who had seen several Strads and studied the techniques of construction could really tell you if these are real or fake.

I know really! An antique store not knowing if they had gold in their hands! Ha! I know a lot of good forgeries were made. So I was just wondering...c'est la vie!

Thank you my SS friends.

:violinplay1:  :violinplay1: 

hey worth a shot !! some people are not that bright !!! sent the pics to some people and they will let me know if it is worth the effort to bring them in off the pics , the wood is right that I found out , and as john said the patina (wear ) that is what has a few stumped, the red one is the one people are looking at which to me looks like a school thing, but there is questions about a red one that he done and no one has seen it , in a hundred years or so ,

• 7 months later...

on the antique road show think most of you will have heard of it , many things turn up that have been bought at car boot sales for pence / cents that turn out to be worth thousands of pounds , but someone in the trade  would, you would think know what they were looking at , just a thought .

sorry Lisa you may not be having that trip to UK yet  

john

darn... I really wanted to meet you and the family scotsman. perhaps I'll sell a song and make enough. Yes, that is my goal this year to sell a song. maybe next year, I'll sell one and come visit you!

Lisa

• 9 years later...
On 6/9/2014 at 5:09 AM, Lisa Gates said:

I was trying to find a good spot to get advice on two violins found in NH USA in an antique store, in the back, kinda rough shape but the label inside looks ligit.

Anyone here on SS good with Violins? Take a look and see if they're worth buying to get appraised.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Lisa

post-11902-0-00761200-1402261759_thumb.j

post-11902-0-01613400-1402261774_thumb.j

I'm curious with the white lines running on the parts that need patch work.