Your Ad Could Be Here

What Is The Best Recording Software? Opinions/comparisons

Sounds like we are in full understanding. As for pre-amps, I have a Joe Meek tube box for some color but mostly I prefer my RNP from FMR that I picked up around 5 years ago. Its a nice little Class A preamp that gives an awesomely clean sound (no color) which works great for me to experiment with. I also have the RNC compressor for DI bass should I need it but I usually just skip the comp and keep my levels low with a lot of headroom.

I personally haven't tried any of the higher end preamps, other than turning knobs in a music store.

and no worries for being long winded.. you should see the last post I made in my "Wish it Away thread" http://forums.songstuff.com/topic/40322-wish-it-away/

• Like 1

Yep...we are on the same page Space !

FWIW....Pro Tool is giving out a free version. Before you know it they will be paying us to take it:)

I think it's limited to three projects...a very trunciated version of the program and a very savy way to say " Hey we're going to do something the others have done for years"........almost all of the major players offer a free version of their software with interfaces/soundcards. But when PT does it....wow look out ;)

Edited by starise

• 2 weeks later...

I always liked protools but I honestly like reaper alot. Its free and is alot like protools. It also comes with a large amount of all the plugins you need except a good autotune plugin.

What do you specifically like about Reaper over the others? Is there something about the workflow that makes it a stand out in some areas? What would you say are the main strong points to using Reaper? You already mentioned cost. Would you spend more for software that has more features or is easier to use?

One of the things about it that I liked when I used  it was the portability of the program...I could load it on a small usb stick. It also runs from a usb stick. So you could take it to another computer and mix a song. The tradeoff being it doesn't have many of the tools the others have....and sometimes this is all you need.