Your Ad Could Be Here

Last time in a studio

Hey

I just wondered when the last time you were in a pro recording studio was?

I was in a studio for the first time in a while at christmas, unfortunately I was just visiting someone else who was recording their 4th album (at least I think it was the 4th!). I was in the same studio about 8 years ago recording. It's not changed much to look at until you notice that it is completely protools based now!

I virtually never go to studio these days. Home recording meets most of my needs, though it can be a bit frustrating when you don't have that bit of gear that would do what you need!

Anyway, I just wondered...

Cheers

John

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never been, probably never will.

I'm happy at home. :)

About 78 -80 somewhere in there? The engineer was a pratt. He couldn't give a toss about us. All he was interested in was mixing his own bands recordings. We arrived and set up. Played through the song we had chosen (Mine) This dickhead came out and said we had to make it shorter! ;) This took about an hour! Every time we did something, he came out and complained it was too loud or too quiet.

Put me off studio's for life! Never been in one since.

Area 51 Studios helped us put together our "Two and a Half WeeKs" stuff. I would definetly call Josh Ebner (our engineer), a step above. He tolerated our superstar attitude and still came though with awesome product. 100% Pro-tools and Mac based. Mackie board.

my last time in a studio was about a year ago, I was visiting a friend of mine who is a famous rock/pop producer here in spain.

pro tools all around and the engineer almost laugh in my face when I said I never used pro tools, and when I talked about melodyne the guy said something like "useless software, who needs that..." thankfully my friend is an open minded guy and we talked about how software changed the industry and more stuff...

my last time recording in a studio was 5 years ago and the engineer was really dumb (but acting like "I'm the wiser guy in the industry") we were recording and suddenly I noticed a big noise on my headphones, like when a compressor pumps up the hiss, so I told he: "seems like the compressor is dead", and he said "no, no, no, must be the bass guitar" and then we lost about half an hour waiting while a boy checked the DI box of the Bass, then the battery in the bass, then changed the cable... so finally when the noise stoped I asked him what was it, he shortly replied: the compressor... ::)

I like studios, but better be alone there than with this short minded people.

Tuesday - but we did a video shoot (as those of you who read my blog will already know). Last actual job done in the studio was May 11. Next will be in August.

We only do the vocal and acoustic guitar tracks in the studio. Other stuff I record in my home studio.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm going into the studio on 13 August to record some demo tracks with my bassplayer Nick. My first time in a real studio, I am really looking forward to it.

Excellent! I look forward to hearing the tracks! How many do you plan to do?

So, how about some studios tips for Alistair?

Excellent! I look forward to hearing the tracks! How many do you plan to do?

So, how about some studios tips for Alistair?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Find out where the coffee machine is.You don't want to waste valuable studio time looking for it! :)

1. Never have a run through if you can help it. You will always cock up the first 'Record' after.

2. Relax.

3. To save time, make sure you have everything you need! (spare plecs, strings, crowbar etc.)

4. Don't let the engineer bully you into doing something you don't want to do!

You're the one paying the wages.

5. Check how long the song(s) is (are) and check that this is OK with the engineer? We wasted over an hour cutting down a song cause the engineer thought it was too long!

Do you need/want a backing track? (drums etc). It might be wise to have some ready to insert. Even if you don't want them in the final mix! + this will give you a firm foundation to play along to.

I think I'm getting more excited than you now! ^_^

if the engineer is going to master your songs, ask him to give you some copies of the "unmastered" mixes... maybe later you'll want to try different/better sounding masters.

practice your songs enough :D

good luck!!

Thanks Hari.

I'm using my Wednesday night pub sessions as live rehearsals with my bass player. Gives him a chance to learn the songs. He can record the session, practice at home to the tape and be ready for formal recording in the studio. We won't record live in the studio so he'll do his part after I record mine.

Going to studio tomorrow to set vocals on single #2

First one is on it's way to iTunes and norwegian radio stations.

Sorry about not being good enough keeping you guys up to date, but there's just so much to do - I can only point to my weblog for news, really.

Thanks Hari.

I'm using my Wednesday night pub sessions as live rehearsals with my bass player. Gives him a chance to learn the songs. He can record the session, practice at home to the tape  and be ready for formal recording in the studio. We won't record live in the studio so he'll do his part after I record mine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm ... I would consider doing the bass part first. The bass is foundation for what you do. I would hate to cut in a bass player after a guitarist if I was an engineer. If it's a good studio - do both at the same time.

We won't record live in the studio so he'll do his part after I record mine.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's the rationale for that, Al?

Not critical, just curious.

I am very much looking forward to hearing the fruits of your labours.

Just have a lovely time and do lots of laughing.

Take it easy. But take it.

Hey Finn.

I see you have withdrawn from the computer industry and leapt full-time into music.....

Sincere good wishes and good luck with it.

4 years ago I think. To record the bands 4 track demo that we could hawk about for gigs. I'm not sure how many copies we have left now.

Hmmm ... I would consider doing the bass part first. The bass is foundation for what you do. I would hate to cut in a bass player after a guitarist if I was an engineer. If it's a good studio - do both at the same time.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It was the engineer's suggestion! And it's what I am used to, as is my bass player.

What's the rationale for that, Al?

Not critical, just curious.

I am very much looking forward to hearing the fruits of your labours.

Just have a lovely time and do lots of laughing.

Take it easy. But take it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I meant I will do the guitar track first, then the bass player will do his part straight after.

The rationale is that I will play better if I am not singing at the same time and vice versa.