Your Ad Could Be Here

Hi all, jonJon67 here

JonJon67

Hello everyone,

JonJon67 here. Guitar player, singer. Into classic rock, metal, powerpop, grunge etc.

To make a long story short, im a pretty good guitar player and a pretty good singer. My mixing and recording skills are halfway decent as well. But.....I CANT FINISH A SONG!!!  Or more specifically, I just dont have any process down yet or any pattern or workflow for writing songs. Its not that I dont have songs finished, but not that many and TBH nothing im SUPER proud of etc. So there is a lot of room for improvement. I have played guitar for almost 30 years and have been focusing on singing for almost 2 years now but as of yet I havent really put it together to be able to SHOW what I can do

Sooooooo, I am here to hopefully see what others are doing and find some way to continue to step my game up and get my songwriting flowing.

See you all on the forums!

Peace, JonJon67

• Like 2

Hi Jon,

Excellent intro! It's good to meet you. Be sure to check out our articles on songwriting but a little hint...I've learned so much by critiquing other people's lyrics and getting them to critique mine. Whew! what another set of eyes can do!! Also take a look at our Lyric Challenge. You can really stretch your pencil's wings with one of our challenges. (pencil's wings... hmmm... may have to write a song about that! LOL)

Hope to see you on the boards soon!
Lisa

• Like 2

• Editors

Welcome aboard Jon. 

Personally, I refrain myself from restricting myself to a process, pattern or work flow when it comes to songwriting. Don't get me wrong, I've worked with different kinds of musicians who've all had their own way of writing a song which would have been different from my own general direction with it. It's good to learn about all of them. But these are all simply tools, not rules. A general approach would be to be present to what is needed for a piece or what is missing. Trust your ears and let it take you where it needs to go. 

Anyways, as mentioned, there are a lot of articles on songwriting processes and work flows that you'll find on our site. Enlighten yourself with it and keep those spirits up with your music. 

Nice to have you on board. 

Cheers 

Mahesh 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just do it, man!  Just post one of your songs.  (after you meet the requirements to post, that is...)  That's the great thing about this place.  There's always someone who can help to the next step.  If your stuff has lots of potential, you'll be sure to have rooters rooting you on to polish it up and they'll help give you ideas as to what that might look like.  Nobody can enjoy music that's tucked away in your recording room.