Your Ad Could Be Here

What are your favorite Oldies?

JohnyOdyssey

• Noob

Kind of starting to realize that my knowledge of older music is pretty limited so I thought i'd see what some of your favorite oldies are haha.  I like Otis Redding, Sam Cooke, Buddy Holly, Al Green, Marvin Gaye and think they're all amazing but I know theres a lot I don't know so please share any of your favorites, can't wait to listen :)

• Like 1

• Editors

I think it is essential here for us to define old since we have members across all age groups. ;)

What I would consider oldies relative to my age and those who are my favorites (some mentioned under my profile pic too) would be Frank Sinatra, Ray Charles, Stevie Wonder, Chet Baker, Marvin Gaye, Sarah Vaughan, Billie Holiday, Ella Fitzgerald, Nat King Cole and more! There are just way too many but these would be the very top of my favorites!

I rarely listen to old oldies these days, but as a young child, with only my parent's records to listen to since I couldn't get my own... as a progression from Pinky and Perky, I'd sit and listen to these songs on repeat, in huge headphones, for hours on my own whilst my mum cleaned the house or whatever... and so my opinion of these songs is maybe inflated but they made me love music and I still love them...and they all sound very kind of spooky to me...kind of dream-like and dark!!!

(Which reminds me... A few years later when we moved house I lived next door to the singer who replaced Peter Noone. He'd do 'gigs' in the back garden for friends and neighbours. )

And so those are some of my favourite oldies. My parents didn't have any Beatles or Stones, nothing tooooo wild ;)  although my mum had some great Disco collections which I also listened to endlessly, but I won't post those as I don't think they qualify as 'oldies' yet....

• Like 2

"Don't Let Go"  Written by Jesse Stone 1957. First recorded by Roy Hamilton.  Long list of artist that performed Jesse's song. Commander Cody, The Four Seasons, Jerry Lee Lewis, The Jerry Garcia Band, Asleep at the Wheel, Manhattan Transfer, issac Hays...

Edited by Peggy
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is a one record band called Jamul. My older sister had their only record and later when she moved out I couldn't resist but "borrow" it...for life. Well, I am a little brother after all! I have it on vinyl but found this on the net some years ago. Great great stuff! I also found a live version of it which is even more cool! Enjoy!