Your Ad Could Be Here

What album/song got you hooked?

What album or song can you distinctly remember hearing and thinking 'wow, this... this is it right here! music's my thing!'? For me there was a few, but one that really sticks out in my mind is Finger Eleven's 'The Greyest of Blue Skies' (2000). I was only 14 years old at the time and didn't even really know what the feelings were that were being invoked by what I heard thru my headphones but I remember loving it and needing to listen more and more. Instant connection. Some of my faves from that album.. 

@Lisa Gates @Peggy @john @Mahesh

Not an album... but the start of my music infatuation...

When I was six years old my teacher made me sing this as a solo in the school play. Mary Poppins was I. The start of many singing leads in many school plays!.

I had the prettiest dress. I still can remember what it looked liked too.

God only knows what was my first album. music music everywhere!

7 hours ago, Lisa Gates said:

Not an album... but the start of my music infatuation...

When I was six years old my teacher made me sing this as a solo in the school play. Mary Poppins was I. The start of many singing leads in many school plays!.

I had the prettiest dress. I still can remember what it looked liked too.

God only knows what was my first album. music music everywhere!

Music class was the best growing up wasn't it? I still remember looking forward to every Friday cause we got to vote on what we got to sing and we always chose this: 

I remember being in school aged five in Singapore and we had to sing Baa Baa Black Sheep, while the headmaster came round and listened to each of us singing. He was choosing people for a choir. I didn't get picked and I think it must've stuck in my craw, because I eventually became a singer. Take that, headmaster!

My folks had a lot of records but Sinatra's Come Fly With Me and Songs For Swinging Lovers albums take me right back there.

My sis was born there and I have a memory of my dad rocking her to sleep while humming the Skye Boat Song. I didn't know the tune at the time but it was so distinctive that it takes me back to that moment every time I've heard it since.

I was about 10 when I first heard my mate's dad's copy of Led Zeppelin II. My folks got me it for my 11th birthday. I hadn't even entered puberty, so it just seemed like some nice tunes. They also got me a poster of Bridget Bardot, so I think they were preparing me for puberty.

The album that made me want to be a musician: Jailbreak by Thin Lizzy. My mate sold me a guitar, an old Woolies Winfield for £2.50, then taught me some of the riffs.

The Dancer With Bruised Knees - Kate & Anna McGarrigle. The whole album is special. The first track I heard was 'Southern Boys'

This one is perhaps my favourite

First Born (Son)

11 hours ago, Roymega said:

Music class was the best growing up wasn't it? I still remember looking forward to every Friday cause we got to vote on what we got to sing and we always chose this: 

You're kidding? What an awesome class it must have been! I love this song.

Cat's In the Cradle. That song evoked so much emotion as I applied it to my young life.

3 hours ago, Lisa Gates said:

You're kidding? What an awesome class it must have been! I love this song.

No joke! I loved it!

3 hours ago, TPistilli said:

Cat's In the Cradle. That song evoked so much emotion as I applied it to my young life.

oh yeah! Harry Chapin had some GREAT songs!!

On 5/9/2018 at 12:12 PM, Rudi said:

The Dancer With Bruised Knees - Kate & Anna McGarrigle. The whole album is special. The first track I heard was 'Southern Boys'

This one is perhaps my favourite

First Born (Son)

I lurve their first born son so very much. I Don't Know What It Is is in my Top Five Songs I Wish I'd Written. I used to do his dad's song about him at parties way back.

I never had a stand out moment - I had an older sister who played music at me, so I just always had it around and loved it! Started out with a mix of mostly Beatles, Levellers and Offspring - with a healthy dose of brit-pop/rock! 

One stand out for me, though, was when I first head The Urban Folk Quartet, cause that was when I thought 'you know what? I might want to play folk music more!' and I'm now on my second folk band, having been to a few workshops with UFQ (if you're in the UK and vaguely near Birmingham they do workshops days on occasion that are well worth it if you're a bit of a folky!). This is from their first album:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I'm new here and late to post on this, but I love this question!

Pink Floyd The Wall changed everything for me, my older brother listened to it and I ended up basically stealing it from him.  Listened to it over and over and over ad infinitum, blew me away.  Still does!  What a masterpiece. 

Music class in grade school truly was awesome, my favorite memories were of Halloween time.  We always sang the jackolantern song and then we'd all get to play instruments while this Dance Macabre cartoon and music played on the TV.  Pretty cool stuff lol. Mrs. Alisee, I remember you!!! 

On 5/24/2018 at 6:53 PM, Rob Ash said:

For me, there were three. All seriously date my old ass.

The first was "Tripping The Live Fantastic" by Paul McCartney and Wings, featuring the tune; "Band On The Run". The year I heard this album was 1972. I was 10. It was songs from this period, by this group and of course many others, that first made me think that rock music was magical.

Point of order: BotR was released in 1973. I remember it well, because our music teacher at school sat us down and said he had something important we had to hear. Then he played the entire album. It's still my fave of all the Beatles' band or solo work, because there isn't a bum track on it. And also worth noting he made it in Africa over a decade before Paul Simon's Graceland. I also love pointing out that Wings were banned by the BBC twice, before the Sex Pistols were even an idea in Malcolm McLaren's shop.

Funny, what got me hooked was a band, and an album few if any have ever heard of, They're called Jamul, released one album only in 1970. I still love it to death when I hear it. My older sister had the album in her collection, but me being a little brother and doing what little brothers do, naturally I stole it from her and she no longer has it in her collection but it remains safely in mine till this day. 😎

21 hours ago, Rob Ash said:

Hope I handle this in an acceptable way. What I say here will have the singular virtue of being fully honest.

You are right. Here's what happened when I crafted my first post...

I moved to Germany with my family in 1972. I was ten. My dad was an officer and a combat chopper pilot in the Army. We lived in Germany for a little over three years.

That was a little minute ago. SEVERAL little minutes, in fact.

I remember the song BOTR. I remember the town in Germany where I first heard it. Hanau. I remember that we were in, of all places, a Dairy Queen. Nothing about it was like home, with two extremely important exceptions; the soft serve and the juke box. Both were fully American.

The juke box was, of course, an old 45RPM playing Wurlitzer. The "b" side of "Band On The Run" was "Jet", also a killer Wings tune.

But the year was probably 1974. And the Album was the one of the same name. The live version of BOTR wouldn't be released until, as it turns out, 1976, on the album "Wings Over America"...

I sat down to respond to the OP, which I thought was a fun and engaging one, and, in so doing, recalled an ancient memory I hadn't dredged up for, oh, centuries, it feels like. One from over 45 years ago, for all you millennials. I wasn't considering the historical accuracy of my post. I went to Google and took the raw info from the blurb on the first listing that came up in response to my search query. I can't recall what the exact syntax of that query was now. Sorry. What I can confirm is that I didn't even click through to the actual page.

I just extrapolated from that blurb and drew the rest from nostalgic memory, which is far different from factual recall. After a certain age you realize that ALL old memories are nostalgic in nature, which means they are highly contaminated with sentimentality and therefor corrupt. This is merely human nature, and not inherently "bad"...

So, the amended post should read:

"The first was "Band On The Run" by Paul McCartney and Wings, released on December 5, 1973, featuring the tune of the same title; "Band On The Run". The year I heard this album was (probably) 1974, probably early in the year, say, around May-ish, but may have been much earlier that year.

I was 10 or maybe 11. It was songs from this period, by this group and of course many others, that first made me think that rock music was magical."

Now, I, personally, appreciate the correction. Made me think. I actually like to think so this was a good thing from my perspective. Also forced me to recall, to a much more accurate degree, a very pleasant memory from my childhood days. Thank you for that. In responding to your post, I remembered that I first ate German style french fries (similar in all respects to American "steak" fries) at that DQ, with MAYONAISE, for the first time. Germans typically eat their fries with mayo, not ketchup, as do Americans, by and large.

Your post, however, and this exchange, likely didn't do much to maintain the allure of this thread, such as it was.

Just sayin'...

In the interest of allure, I shall merely add that a point of order is the equivalent of just sayin', noted in passing, and intended in fun. It is a formal but politer way of saying "for the record," which can come across as a bit rude in its FTR online format. It was not an attempt to big up my extensive knowledge, because I had to Google to check my nostalgic memory inspired by your post. The extended response gives the impression my intent wasn't clear, for which this is a short but heartfelt apology.

Your post, however, has made me reconsider any continuing participation in your critiques thread, given both barrels can sometimes result in an unnecessary though understandable level of defensiveness. Just sayin'.

Archived