Your Ad Could Be Here

Introducing me

songbird52

Hi,

I just joined this forum. I have been a songwriter for a long time, and I am hoping for a songwriter forum where I can get and give advice on how to live with the curse of being a songwriter. And it would be great if I could get and give some honest criticism. I have only recently, within the past couple of years, started performing my songs at open mics. I wrote songs my whole life, but no one heard them. It is very hard to judge our own songs objectively. But I can't always tell if the open mic audience likes my songs or not. 

There are things I want to talk about, certain problems that occur -- like, for example, when I finish writing a song that I worked hard on I usually think it's a GREAT song. Then a while later, I think it REALLY SUCKS. And it kind of goes back and forth. There are days when I think I have never written even one good song, and other days when I love all my songs. Crazy.

Does everyone have these experiences? 

I am semi-retired now so I spend most of time writing songs. Trying to write as many as possible while I have the time. 

• Like 2

HI Polly Chase, nice to meet you!  I relate to that a lot, yes one day it's "what was I THINKING" then the next day "hey you know, it ain't half bad" then another day "man I'm a frigging GENIUS".  Hehe!   Can't wait to hear your stuff, hope I can be helpful 😁

You can post music + lyrics on song critique thread, soundcloud is great everyone uses it here.  You can post lyrics only on lyric critique thread, if you have something that is finished and you only want to present it go to showcase thread, if you have poetry or just writing not meant for music go to poet corner thread. Have fun! 

• Thanks 1

Hi Polly,

Welcome to SongStuff community! Nice to have you join in with us. 

We aren't organized much by genre. The critique section gives posting guidelines and suggestions for  new lyric, songs, etc. topics.

Lots of folks use SoundCloud, etc.  it gives a level of confidence over that of just a link or uploaded file.

Have fun and see you around the boards! 

:)

Peggy

Hi Polly

I don’t think it is that uncommon a feeling. It is linked to the same part of us that gets tired of something on repetition. Some people are more attuned to new ideas, find themselves fascinated by the new and original.

As soon as the ideas are old hat, they lose their appeal.

The fact it is cyclic probably means you notice new  things you hadn’t noticed before, and it is kinda cool again until that too becomes old.

If you partially derive self worth, or your worth as a songwriter from appeal, and that is linked to how fresh something sounds, it would be quite easy to feel that way. As most of us do strive to be original......

as to sections, no folk section. We did try genres once before but more people complained about having multiple boards to visit than complained about mixed posts. Truth is, before you know it, every sub genre wants a board.... and then you have loads to look through... and most will be pretty dead, even with a busy community..

What I would encourage you to do is to use tags. So use a folk tag. It helps us all if we can identify what type of music it is and also what kind of critique someone wants : #folk #vocals #general mix

Cheers

John

oh and welcome aboard!

Thank you for the helpful replies!

I really want to get (and give) some criticisms! As I said before, it is so hard for me to judge my own songs. I sometimes think the performance is more important than the song in determining if people will like it. So I put as much or more effort into trying to get the arrangement and performance sounding good, as on writing the song in the first place.

I used to think people would just use their imagination and know how my crummy recording was really supposed to sound! That did not work out so well!

So now, I might record the same song dozens of times before I let anyone else hear it.

Polly 

let me start wit ha,  ha,  ha     we don't criticize  anything we critique  - say what we think is needed to better the piece . lots of members are musicians and they know about arrangements sound etc  then there  are  those who are skilled writers . who know about flow rhyme etc - then there's me no knowledge at all just enjoy it  LOL

john

1 minute ago, Polly Chase said:

When I go to the song critique forum, I don't get a button for posting. I use chrome for mac, but I also tried Safari. 

Maybe it's because there is an ad at the top of the forum.

Anyway, I wanted to post songs but I can't.

The label is Start New Topic... it's a  black rectangle.  There are some guidelines for posting on the Song Critique board. 

https://forums.songstuff.com/forum/218-song-critique/

:)

Peggy

• 2 months later...