Your Ad Could Be Here

How do you name your songs?

The most common way is to use the main part of the chorus. Sometimes a name is picked based on the overall idea of that particular song. In that method, sometimes the title is shown in the song, other times it's not (see Pearl Jam's "Elderly Woman Behind The Counter In A Small Town.") Other times the title is picked from the verses when something strange and unique is said that also complements the overall idea of the song. There really is no set way unless you stick with the first method. Each song is unique though so it really depends on the tune. Maybe post one and see what people think?

• Noob

If it's instrumental(like mine) it could be hard naming songs. I usually name songs relating to some feeling that it makes me feel: like a song that sounds like a boss stage of a video game, I name it something dark and intimidating.. a lot of the times the names are dumb or inside jokes to myself and family.

• 1 month later...

Usually my songs name themselves, unless I'm in total disagreement. I've followed the advice a few times in books of it should be an oft repeated phrase in either the first or last line of the chorus. I have one song where the chorus is repeated twice but the title comes from one line in a verse. It just fits the whole idea of that particular song. I've tried rewriting it to get that line into the chorus but the whole flow gets dashed to bits. So I left it alone. Ideally, the title serves to create some intrigue so a person cares to hear the song. I have another where the title isn't spoken the same way, and then only once, in the song. Again, it fits the message. I guess for me, there's no hard and fast rules or formula and so far none of my acquaintances in Nashville have had a disagreement with my titles. And more than a few heavyweights have reviewed them!

It varies a lot and I see it as something you can be a little creative with - sometimes there is a working title - a single word or phrase that I might use to refer to it while I'm in the process of writing it and this can be something that relates to what I intended to write about or about a particular idea that started me - a song about a difficult to get to know person "Tina" eventually ended up being called Guillotine because I didn't want to put her name in it (so people would ask who's Tina) and it's not a very singable word (a 2ndmain reason) but the name prompted the line about me wanting her to open up "but not like a guillotine, if you're gonna come down on me" - the connection was just in the sound initially - Tina - guillo"tine" but the name, the word for her name, prompted an idea. A song "Listen To Me" is named after a documentary about Marlon Brando that inspired me to write 2 songs - about him. Quite a few times I've used a left over line of lyric but only because I couldn't squeeze it in anywhere but it was too good to throw away, probably wouldn't have been used anywhere else and obviously only if it was clear it still related to the song in some way  - I'm not a big fan of just naming things as has been suggested above after the hook in the chorus or a key word repeated more than any other in the song even though it is perhaps the most common way - sometimes there isn't much choice if it's so obvious central to the song, e.g.  my song about a dragonfly embedded in my mother chest had to be called dragonfly even though it's its a song title that must have been used thousands of times before. Sometimes it's the first line or the start of it. I see it as an opportunity lost of you just do the obvious - it's a small chance to show your creativity - it may not matter to a lot of people but i think it's good to have a song title that isn't similar to a thousand others. A good song will probably stand up on the basis of the music or some other quality so, in the end it may not be that important - Blur managed to get away with Song 2 but the title has nothing to do with the lyrics or..anything AFAICT - didn't hold it back though.

• 4 weeks later...

I generally name my songs from one of the lyrics; like most of my rap songs' names are in the chorus or hook of the song.

• 1 month later...

It depends on the genre of music you're writing if the title is to express some importance or not. I mean, obviously you dont want to go too generic as to avoid being mistaken for another song.

Personally, if the chorus has something catchy phrase wise, then go with that. If you can sum up a story line of the lyric in one or two words, that usually works too.

Just a small example, if the song subject wise is about someone going through a break up, depending how exact or abstract the lyrics are, you could generalize with a few words for a title...like for something more country or traditional, perhaps "Empty Promises" or in the case of something alittle more hip or vibe worthy, maybe something like "Love Below Zero" would give a song title of that nature abit more zest.

Again, a song title doesnt make the song, but it doesnt hurt if it reflects the subject matter to some degree.

Archived