Your Ad Could Be Here

Old Songwriter Looking for New Avenues to Explore

Ed Driscoll

Hi all,

I’ve been writing songs since about 1984 (I started playing guitar in late 1982). Back then, I “wrote” them on a cassette four-track system, eventually getting quite good at bouncing tracks, using “virtual” tracks, and all the tricks of the 1980s to get the most out of those four tiny tracks. I was inspired by Pete Townshend’s 1983 double album Scoop, which contained some of the demos he wrote for The Who. It inspired me to start writing songs for my college-era rock band. Back then, I had one foot in the guitar music of the 1960s and ‘70s (The Beatles, the Stones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, etc.) and the synths and drum machines of the 1980s.

By the early 1990s, reality roared its ugly head, and I was too busy with work for music. By the end of that decade, DAWs were becoming increasingly powerful, I returned to songwriting, armed with some much more sophisticated equipment. Starting around 2001, I also wrote reviews of hardware and software for Vintage Guitar magazine, Guitar World, the UK’s Computer Music magazine, and Websites such as Blogcritics, Instapundit, and PJ Media (where I have a regular column).

Once I’ve reached the ten post minimum, I’d like to post a recent song and video I’ve created over in the Critique section, and I’d welcome your thoughts. I’m new in town – go easy on me. ;)