Your Ad Could Be Here

copywrite of music

how does splitting costs break down when uploading music to sell on platforms? for example I know if were to rip a beat of youtube that's stealing etc but what if producers have approached me and offered me free beats does that mean I can use it and upload it and claim the royalties? or will they be able to demand a cut in the long run?

also in terms of making my own music and copywrites etc if I use loops from splice is that ok to make a beat and use without copywrite even if its used? on splice iv noticed a lot of mainstream songs are just loops on there 1 example is this song... if I upload the same guitar loop but different style and drums etc would that be copywrite? I hope not because then I can remake songs without copywrite using the loops they took from splice

You can copyright "a loop," and claim royalties if anyone "borrows" any fragment from your copyrighted song.

But this doesn't prevent someone from making a library of loops available to you without "strings attached."

For instance, most DAW programs these days include a very large library of expressly royalty-free "loops."  These loops are copyrighted, but your purchase of the DAW software licenses you to use them any way you like and to owe nothing.  You're entitled to use them in your own work without attribution.

(And FYI ... it is the fact that the library is copyrighted, and that the DAW vendor has secured the proper rights to it, that legally entitles said vendor to grant these rights to you.)

Of course there are some "absolutely free loop libraries" out there – not associated with a DAW nor with any other product – for which exactly the same reasoning applies:  "the owners of the material, having thereby the sovereign privilege of 'attaching any strings they want,' have instead elected to 'attach no strings.'"  Because they own it, they can do that.

Alo, you can use the same Splice sound for your own song. When we buy a Splice sound, we do not own the actual sound, but rather we are paying for the license to use the sound in our own music. So it doesn't matter who's using the exact same Splice sound in their music, they do not own the copyright of the sample.

Check out the terms and conditions in Splice for more clarification.

https://splice.com/terms/sounds

As for the "free beats" thing, I think it will be safe to assume a 50/50 ownership split. You should get in touch with the producers and talk about it.

Best,

Ken

On 5/8/2019 at 11:13 AM, ALOPRODUCTIONZ said:

how does splitting costs break down when uploading music to sell on platforms? for example I know if were to rip a beat of youtube that's stealing etc but what if producers have approached me and offered me free beats does that mean I can use it and upload it and claim the royalties? or will they be able to demand a cut in the long run?

also in terms of making my own music and copywrites etc if I use loops from splice is that ok to make a beat and use without copywrite even if its used? on splice iv noticed a lot of mainstream songs are just loops on there 1 example is this song... if I upload the same guitar loop but different style and drums etc would that be copywrite? I hope not because then I can remake songs without copywrite using the loops they took from splice

Even if they have approached you, you need the deal in writing, breaking down the terms of use. For example, it might be free for you to have as an informal release, but not a commercial release. You might have to use it as is, but not be allowed to edit it. You might be allowed to do a commercial release in the UK but not in the USA.

Point is, get a copyright statement that tells you what you can use, when you can use it, where you can use it, how you can use it etc...

It's a different aspect of copyright you have with samples than compositions, but the same fundamentals apply. Someone owns it, and if you use it you may have restrictions, you may have to pay for a license and in both cases you have to declare it and give accreditation.

Splice is, however, a production library, that is 100% royalty free and cleared for commercial use. So you don't need to get approval, though you should look at the terms of use to see if accreditation is still required.

Oh, and many artists and publishers have agreements with YouTube, with tracks pre-cleared for cover versions on YouTube only... ie the track is not cleared for release on other platforms and not for commercial use at all. If you want that you need to go to the publisher and ask them. As for samples they are not pre-cleared (as far as I am aware). ie there is no license waiting.. you have to negotiate something. This might as well be before release, because if you build awesome track around something and they then say “No”, you are screwed.

Archived