Your Ad Could Be Here

I don't know what I'm looking for, help?

So I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I have songs written and I have them programmed to my daw (FL Studio), but I'm still fairly new to using a daw. I need help finding the right sound to these midi plugins because I'm just using stock plugins and I don't have the resources to make the best of song out of the current daw that I'm using. Would I need to hire a producer or a sound engineer for these type of things? Is there a specific person who deals with these types of things?

Hey Michel

It's a good idea to keep learning whatever way you move forwards. Sound engineers tend to be pros, in pro studios. Old school producers are pros too. Modern beat producers grew out of bedroom musicians doing exactly as you are doing now. You could hire a very experienced beat producer but chances are you could find some to work with or who would be wiling to teach you fo free. Beat producers also tend to be in the position of seeing what they can get for free and getting good results. However, they are not perfect. Most home producers lack knowledge. They have just got a broader experience of presets in stock plug ins. They don't actually know what they are doing, just what it sounds like. It is good that they are using their ears and that they get to know the world of plug ins, but your really need to understand if you want to push beyond that.

Forums like this, some good YouTube channels too etc can give you a lot in terms of recommendations and knowledge. You can get a suprising amount of help, and hopefully you can pay it forwards to the next generation of people taking up music making, even new people joining our boards. Everyone started knowing nothing. We all help in part because we know what it is like.

Not everything is about money.

That said I am sure you could find people to help through forums. I would rely upon forums more than things like Twitter or Facebook Groups.

If you have any questions, post them up in the recording board and I know many members would happily help.

Cheers

John

Here's a thought – "exactly what is" your [first ...] "dilemma?"

(Fair warning:  "It will be one of many, but you've got to start somewhere ...")

• Do you like "your song?"  (Do you think that it might be improved further, before you proceed to other considerations?)
  • If so, go ahead and "just do the best that you can do with those 'stock plugins.'"
  • "Now, take a closer look ...'" Exactly what might be missing?  Exactly what is it that is right now telling your ears, "this isn't quite right?"

Please assume, for the sake of argument, that "your present DAW, whatever it is," can still help you.  The trick is to identify the specific differences between "the sound that you now hear" and "the ideal that is in your head."

If you were to post a few actual sound-files here, we could probably help you further ... of course with suggestions.

On 5/7/2020 at 1:50 PM, Michel Aguilar said:

So I'm in a bit of a dilemma. I have songs written and I have them programmed to my daw (FL Studio), but I'm still fairly new to using a daw. I need help finding the right sound to these midi plugins because I'm just using stock plugins and I don't have the resources to make the best of song out of the current daw that I'm using. Would I need to hire a producer or a sound engineer for these type of things? Is there a specific person who deals with these types of things?

Are you talking about synth sounds, drum machines, or effects?

Regardless of what you are using, may I suggest to take your time and master the tools you have at hand. I know this sounds boring, but when i started out about a year and a half ago, I bought a bunch of equipment and the plethora of choice actually hindered my advancement. I still haven't made use of my Elektron Digitakt because the built in drum machines/ samplers in my DAW are well equipped on their own and I'm still discovering features everytime I fire it up. 

I'm always reading Twitter posts from "DJs", and other electronic musicians about how they design their own sounds and how they thumb their noses up at presets. You'll then check out their music because they sound knowledgeable enough and the so called "fresh" sounds they're making don't really sound all that special. And the actual music just sounds like yet another cookie cutter dance track. 

In reality, you can take a stock sound and make some minor edits, fuss with some modulation, eqs, panning and whalla, it'll work out just fine. Because, what's more important is how a sound works within the context of the whole and where it sits in the mix. This is a great community, post your works in progress for critique and listen to the criticism. You'll learn little tricks and tips along the way. A couple of little gems I picked up include, adding transparency to your reverbs by lowering the wet to dry ratios (you'd be surprised by how little reverb you actually need). Creating depth by doubling "key" tracks, adding the slightest hint of delay, subtly differing the eqs, and spreading their pans. Being more subtle with your panning, buy never centering anything aside from bass. Using volume and panning to isolate and separate tracks you want to "star" in your production. 

All of this stuff takes time and there's plenty of people out there wanting to take your money. You can buy all of the coolest and newest gadgets, but nothing beats experience and skill. And old saying I heard states that the true master jazz pianists like Bill Evans could sit down at the oldest, dirty beat up old piano and make that baby sing.

Take your time and stick it out. You'll add stuff to collection over time (it's bound to happen; I'm a synth addict by the way), just make sure the stuff you add is the stuff you actually want to use. If you're not having fun, what's the point? 

Here's a couple of snapshots to show my musical advancement. 

One of my earlier songs (fall 2018)....

Listen to Serious Pretense by williamsanford on #SoundCloud

One of my newer songs (spring 2020)....

Listen to We Will Fight And Defeat These Bulbous Spheres With Their Tiny Little Crowns by williamsanford on #SoundCloud

@geographyhorse first you have used my favorite word "plethora"  thank you for that. It just makes me smile. Second you've not only given some great advice but you've given examples. I really enjoyed "We will fight..." I hope that Michel comes back to read all the good responses.

Best,

Lisa

• 2 weeks later...

One trick is to learn to "listen analytically."  That is, to listen to what you hear, "and don't quite like," then to try to discern exactly why.  Is something missing?  Too much?  Clashing?

Listen to stuff that you think is a perfect model:  "Yeah, like that."  Try to de-construct it ... reverse engineer it.  Exactly what is it about this song that "really lights your torch?"  Then, when you play your song against "that one," what is the first flaw difference that stands out?  "Try to put your finger on it ... try to describe it."

"Try to turn 'that vague discomfort' into something you can try."

Archived