Your Ad Could Be Here

New Music Friday #1

Last week I proposed we try something fun to encourage participation and increase motivation to work on ideas. This is that something. As we haven't tried this yet, I thought I would start a thread to keep this tidy. If folks would prefer a different approach, that's cool too! Being as how tomorrow is Friday, I thought I'd create the shell post to get us going.

This is intended to be a safe space to post ideas, tidbits, things we're experimenting with, test drives, loops, beats, soundscapes...whatever we're working on.

I'm really looking forward to hearing what you're doing!

I'll be back to post something tomorrow. Let's do this!

Edited by Steve Mueske
  • Like 2

Okay, it's after midnight. Here's a little test drive I took this week. Focus is on minimalism, with a spot of fun, and a chance to f*ck around with Arturia's version of the Buchla Easel. I've always wanted to do something like Beaunoise did with his actual easel and this is just the beginning of exploring possibilities for that. The other synths are Bazille and Predator 3.

This is straight out of Bitwig 4 with no post-processing.

https://rcrft.co/reel/whoisthemuesk/nmfsketches

Hopefully, people will join this thread. I'll be back to listen and comment later. 

My apologies. I thought today was Friday, LOL! You know how I discovered this? I showed up to a job interview a day early. Apparently, I have lost my mind.

Wow! I love this! It blooms like the opening of a rare flower. I've never worked with a looper and am interested in them. I'm assuming this was an improv? Do you have a few ideas in mind before you jump in or is it purely in the moment?

Hey

Mike, I really enjoyed that first loop. A nice airy, floaty piece. Gentle.

I’m sorry I didn’t get a chance yesterday. I’ll take part next Friday. Great idea!

it might be an idea to great new threads per artist per song and keep the chat in the chat room. Especially if we can arrange an actual time to be on. Just a thought.

Cheers

John

1 hour ago, john said:

it might be an idea to great new threads per artist per song and keep the chat in the chat room. Especially if we can arrange an actual time to be on. Just a thought.

Cheers

John

I am completely open to ideas for how to best accomplish this. My thought with a single thread is that it would be easy to keep track of participation (i.e. it's easily found and easy to return to). I'm a little leery about moving conversation to a chat because it adds an extra step. We could use titling and tagging as an option, but we're all in different locations and time zones, and I don't want to miss posts. Ideas?

Looking forward to more participation in the future from more people! I really think this could be useful and fun. I just think it's a matter of acquiring energy.

Edited by Steve Mueske

On 11/20/2021 at 9:03 PM, Steve Mueske said:

I am completely open to ideas for how to best accomplish this. My thought with a single thread is that it would be easy to keep track of participation (i.e. it's easily found and easy to return to). I'm a little leery about moving conversation to a chat because it adds an extra step. We could use titling and tagging as an option, but we're all in different locations and time zones, and I don't want to miss posts. Ideas?

Looking forward to more participation in the future from more people! I really think this could be useful and fun. I just think it's a matter of acquiring energy.

I hear you, though having separate threads per song has some advantages. We can have small experiments to see what works. Perhaps we can have different events/challenges that have different formats?

I am sure with some in-site promo and newsletter ads we can get this going. Other variations we can look at is, as mentioned, a pre-arranged interactive hour, using chat or not using chat, we could look at using a club (because then we can notify members of the club of activity.)

Beyond that, we could look at different though related focus groups (lyrics, songs, recording & production, remixing, video) as well as genre focused (if it gets too busy). We could try doing them on different days (songwriting Saturdays for example). I don’t suggest we do anything more than grow the basic idea to begin with, but all of these variations could work for different members.

Its important to explore ideas. One group can feed another, and as has been mentioned by several members, they like Songstuff but it would be nice if it was busier. We can all help with that just by being active. Other things too, but active is good. :)

• Like 1

You beat me to it. I'm just about to start a thread for week 2.